HybridZ

RacerX's photo archive- Gnose Zcars

RacerX

i know this is your thread about your pictures racer x but i thought i could share this one..

i always liked this car.

849_p25091.jpg

i think John K sent it to me.... drool.!!!

mike

Here is some interesting information from Al Keller about IMSA flares and how the sizes changed because of rule changes. This is from a previous Hybrid Z thread:

I started my project a while ago and came across a few companies that used to make fiberglass body panels that allowed you to duplicate the black car in question. It also came to light that there were at least 2 different width rear (and front?) body panels - the really wide ones (like the black car) would handle 15" wide rear wheels. Evedently, IMSA changed the rules to force the Zs to use narrower (12"?) wheels in the rear so the Porsches could keep up!

I found my body panels used (the "narrower" ones) and filed all the other source information away - I'll see if I can find the info. One was a guy that had the body panels (YZ and 940Z) John Washington now sells - possibly John got those molds as well? Another was Arizona Z. There was another that just faded away over the last few years - I gave him an order for all of the body panels but he never did anything. More than a year later, I found the used panels and they were made by this guy originally!

Another set of molds belong to the guy that bought Frassille's 197? IMSA GTU champion car. Another was a fiberglass panel company that may or may not be in business now. I talked to the guy who has Bob Sharp's cars, but he wasn't interested in making molds.

Again, I'll see if I can find this info.

The set I've got are useable with a lot of body work so I'm ok. I would like to have another set that won't take so much body work though! If some one like John was interested in making molds, I could make mine available as masters. The front fenders are slightly wider than the G-nose and I do not have the air dam.

Pictures of the GTU cars are hard to come by but the cars are getting more track time now on the vintage race circuit. Maybe someone has photos that they could share.

Al Keller

Also here is a picture I have posted before from my brother's collection.

1154IMSA_flares-med.jpg

gnose.jpg

imsaautox.jpg

The "aqua" one I photographed at the De Anza auto-x 11 years ago.

And here is an early V8 Hybrid with IMSA flares but no G-nose.

v8imsaflare.jpg

Also here is a picture I have posted before from my brother's collection.

The "aqua" one I photographed at the De Anza auto-x 11 years ago.

And here is an early V8 Hybrid with IMSA flares but no G-nose.

Steve, I have a gorgeous picture of my wife in front of the aqua car in Saratoga when I went on my first date with her! That was over 11 years ago! It's so cool to see other photos of that car. When I saw it, it was the most perfect Z I had ever seen--5 star paint all tha way.

I also took a picture (still have it too!) of the white Z in the owner's driveway in San Jose (I was driving by and just haaad to snap a few). It has a 383 and was also for sale at the time...*sigh*

Thanks to Ernie and Steve for the photos!

Davy

Thanks Tim!!

InZane' date=' that's a great photo - never seen ZG style flares that wide - that's incredible - thanks for sharing!!

Here's an updated IMSA wide body kit. The rear flares were modified (sliced and narrowed) to accomodate more narrow wheel widths like 10" 11", instead of having custom made 12" and wider wheels.

RacerX

[img']http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10766/normal_HOOVER%27sZ.jpg[/img]

might be a little narrower, but that car is running 15x13 inch wheels in back 15x10 in front. Been in it once, it was nice. Thanx for the gnose photos, man I love a gnose-With some type of flare of course... I think it looks funny without a flare of some sort, even Mr.Ks!

Ernie is just a bit too humble with his photo collection. Zs, engines, prototypes; he's got a lot of good stuff I've seen over the years and he's always concerned that he may "bore" others with his pictures (no way). Thanks for sharing and entertaining us with your collection.

• 2 weeks later...