HybridZ

making a custom exhaust

Guest MaXbOOst

Guest MaXbOOst

hi guys ,

i have welding experience and a welder plus plenty of metal working tools at my house.

i was thinking of ordering a bunch of mandrel U bends , and some straight pipe. all 3" from summit. and build the exhaust myself , downpipe all the way back , no cat. but i dont know where i could pick up that flange that goes from downpipe to turbo , anyone know where i can pick one up?

is this that hard or not? i see scottie has a nice mandrel setup.

doesnt look that hard to build

just wana hear some opinions on how hard it was before i order pipes and do it myself...........

but no way in hell can i drive it the exhaust shop , its way too loud...

I bought a muffler and a couple of 180* bends from JC Whitney. The straight tube I just got from a local shop because I figured it would be expensive to ship.

Took me and a friend a solid afternoon. Just kept cutting pieces and tacking them together. We worked from the front to the back. Cheap and easy.

Guest MaXbOOst

yea, i could definetly build all that. i have all those tools and them some.

right now i have all the time in the world.......... so im gonna go for it.

so i can get me a nice downpipe in the process too..............

but , where did u get you turbo exhaust flange? thats the only thing i cant find.

could i use this ? ( the one on the right ? ) and weld my downpipe

(the one i will build ) to it ?

1a_1.JPG

your site was awesome cody !

your site was awesome cody !

Thanks,

I had an extra downpipe that the studs were broken on and the O2 sensor hole was all burgered up on so I just cut off the the flange and used it on the new downpipe. I then ported it so it was alittle larger than the hole at the end of the turbo. Helps it prevent reversion of exhaust gases if it exists in this area. I dought it does though.

Guest MaXbOOst

funny , i have an extra stock down pipe , but isnt that cast ? and as far as remember you have to use a special tool to weld cast , and i just found out i cant use that flange (see above) without sacrificing my internal wastegate.................

but i do have an extra , and i plan on putting 2 oxygen sensors in the downpipe , one for ECU , one for a/f gauge.

Guest MaXbOOst

im pretty sure i could make my own out of metal , i think i will pick up a 3/8 thick plate and make a few ( for some guys in my club too )

so while im waiting for the piping to come in , i could make some of those and finish taking off the stock exhaust ( cat back is all thats left..)

i got all the time in the world right now , so i will give a crack making this exhaust i feel confident i can do it. and if i can do this , i could do my own i/c piping too.............

i would hate to take my car to a shop , considiring i do all of my own work...........

BTW cody ' date=' how much piping did you use ?

i plan on using 3 ubends , and 2 pieces of straight 4 foot pipe.[/quote']

I really can't remember how many bends I used. I think it was 2 for the downpipe and then 1 90* and 1 U-bend getting around the rear end. 3" is pretty tight around the rearend of the car but, it will go if make it in sections so it can be rotated while going in and out. 2 4' sections of straight pipe will be more than enough for the striaght sections.

I bought my U-bends at JC Whitney and they seemed to have the best prices.

Guest MaXbOOst
Make sure you get aluminized steel. I know Summit has it, Jegs didn't in the past.

yep i sure did , i got them from summit beacuse i had a $20 credit to use with them , and they were pretty much the same price as jegs , but i get the summit stuff in 2 days beacuse it comes from in-state.

i bout 3 ubends , i know 1 will be used on the downpipe , and one maybe one and a 1/2 u bends on the back............. and half of a u bend in the middle..... so its gonna be pretty close.......

damn , i know i shouldnt have got 2 4foot sections of pipe.......

well i start it today wish me luck