HybridZ

Difference between Turbo and Non-turbo L28's?

CasperIV

I know in the Z32's there are enough differences between the VG30DE and the VG30DETT that it's easier to get a different engine, but what are the differences in the L28E and L28ET engines? Could you just move the heads and such over to a non-turbo L28, or are the pistons and everything different?

Early L28's have dished pistons, as do later turbo engines. Later ZX L28's that were normally aspirated had the P79 head and had flat top pistons.

There was just a long argument about what the best flat top piston combo was for relatively high compression (~10:1) so look at the Newbie seeking advice post in the 6 cylinder section and you'll see arguments for the N42 and N47 head and the P79 and P90 heads.

Read that and you'll have a pretty good idea of what's up.

The turbo pistons are stamped P90 and I think they use different ring widths than the N42-type pistons which have the same 10.9cc dish as those on the na L28s of '75-'80. I'm not sure that's true, check it out to confirm. The rings on the turbo engine likely have a different configuration/edge profile than their na (P79) counterparts; this is fairly typical of turbo engines.

I expected the turbo pistons to have drilled oil ring holes like NISMO pistons but I think I remember seeing T-slots like garden-variety pistons.

I've been told that the L28ET has shot-peened rods where the L28E doesn't. I compared the two recently and it appears to be true.

None of this means you can't put a P90 head on an N42 shortblock and build a turbo engine in the fashion of an L28ET, it just may not be quite as efficient or durable. If you're on a budget, I wouldn't let it hold you back. DAW