HybridZ

Dismantle a Z

Guest Mateo

• 1 month later...

Buy a bunch of large/small zip lock bags, masking tape, sharpie markers and use it to keep everything you take off organized. Take lotsa pictures and make notes as you go. Make a plan on how you are going to store the tagged pieces, I used the $10 stacking storage bins and labeled then for the general area of the car the parts came from (eg. interior, engine bay, etc) You'll appreciate it when you go to put it back together. A rule of thumb is that it takes 3X as much space to store a car in pieces.

Good luck, stay organized and the project will be more fun than frustration.

You can do as stated above, or, do the cheap way out like I do. Just pile everything in the back. That way, what you need will always be at the bottom. Every time you need something, you get to paw thru it all and really get it mixed up. When you can't find something, you get to go buy new stuff!! Works for me!

You can do as stated above, or, do the cheap way out like I do. Just pile everything in the back. That way, what you need will always be at the bottom. Every time you need something, you get to paw thru it all and really get it mixed up. When you can't find something, you get to go buy new stuff!! Works for me!

Pretty much what I've done, but I put it all in one big box and set it on the TOP shelf in the garage...

:lol:

Almost the same thing I did except I bought a car that someone else tore apart and piled in the back. :roll:

From a guy who has been there and back...

Wannabe is giving good advice. When I took my car down every assembly got bagged and tagged. Ziplock and Sticky Note pads. I didn't take pictures and that would have helped. Even if you plan to replace the hardware when you put it back together (most of my bolts and screws where rusted up good) you will want them for reference so you buy the right size replacement stuff. My car was apart for years. When it went back together I would have given up from frustration if I hadn't have done the "bag and tag shuffle". You have no idea how many nuts bolts and screws there are in that little Z of yours.

"Billions and billions"! :shock:

yes... i wish i had organized a bit better when i was working on my 2 zx cars. I ended up with one big ziplock and thinking "that's alot of random bolts, good thing the car's complete." I ended up with probly a good spare 300 bolts and srews due to the fact i had to cars and only needs one to work, so every little piece got kept. Only the big stuff is getting hauled away with the car... if you check out my cardomain page you'll see that i just piled all the crap into the back.

You are absolutly right Dan. My cut up parts car was nothing but a huge pile. I piled everything in the back just to get it home, along with a truck bed full of parts. Then I had to pile everything in an unorganized pile and go back for the second and third loads. What a mess. I'm sort of slowly getting everything sorted out. 240 parts/280 parts/ 280zx parts, plus a few 260 parts thrown for good measure. Then, to top it all off, I somehow managed to get SAE Ford nuts and bolts mixed up with my metric. But...the final straw is I'm over 55 and forget almost everything! So, the good side is: whenever I go to look for something, it's like Christmas!

You can't do without a digital camera, you'll thank me. Oh and a computer of course, duh. Take pictures of installed parts before you touch them, then removed, and then place them on the shelf and take a picture of the item on the shelf, and number the shelf. Then download the pictures to your computer and LABEL THEM by date, description and make a folder for each shelf number (several parts on the shelf should be the same kind of part. (lights, hardware, interior rear, doors, engine compartment...)

Yeah, 10,000 pictures labeled SCR02133E mixed in with family christmas photos will not help you.

I used to work in a garage we were damn organized and ran through cars like a dang buzzsaw. Like a revolving door. FAST FAST HUURRY HUURYY COSTOMER WAAAITITITGHJGGG!!@@#E@#E

Oh sorry, flashback. I went to college to escape the horror.

It's already been said six times, but I'll take the time to say it again.

BAGGIES!

I started off putting everything in ziplocks and labelling them neatly, then I got lazy and just started pulling stuff off. "Oh, I'll remember where it goes." Wrong. The parts that were in baggies went right back on where they came off of. The parts that weren't bagged are still sitting in a box waiting for me to discover what the heck they're for.

*sigh* That'll learn me.

...in what order do you guys personally go in tearing a Z down to just the body for the old rotisserie?

For me it was:

1. Gut the interior (including dash & all glass).

2. Pull engine, trans, radiator, etc.

3. Up on jack stands to pull the suspension.

4. Removed doors and back hatch.

5. On to the rotisserie and pull all the little stuff you missed.

Buy a box each of the large and small ziplock bags. A bunch of post-it notes to label and put in the bags with the parts and put bags of 'like' parts into cardboard boxes. I was anal about it, but I can generally find anything I'm looking for pretty quickly.

I used my digital camera to 'photo document' everything just in case I needed a reference to put it all back.

I'll add another vote for the baggies and digital camera. I put everything in baggies and took a bunch of pictures. Should have taken more, but it's amazing how they've helped when things start to go back together, also helps with the old 'what's this leftover part for' and the 'which end goes up'.

- Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Well I took the advice and most of the time Im labeling stuff. Right now Im to the point of engine tranny combo. Ive got everything disconnected from the engine, but was wondering whats the best way of draining the clutch fluid and bleeding the brakes?