HybridZ

I may have gotten the deal of my life...so far. Now w/Pics!

DatsunBoy77

Saturday, I went to look at a 72 240Z that was found in a garaget of a home that was abandoned for a few years because of the owners death. The sherrif that bought the house dirt cheap had the car for sale for $1500 and only new it had a clean VIN and was from Arizona (still had plates) and has been tere since 93. Well it looked real nice with litttle rust spot behing the rocker panel where it goes into the wheel arch. But he had told me on the phone it didnt run but knows nothing about this car. So, I am thinking nice, but maybe not $1500 nice. Then I open the hood. I couldnt believe what i saw. As a matter of fact i kinda looked over it becuse i thought it was a KA24. Then i got hlf way around the back and thought, hey was that a 6 cyl? Yup. It had a RB motor siting in the engine bay. All mounted up. I just stood there in awe. The guy said he thinks it is not the original motor because it still has a chain tied around it, and i concured. I gave him $1350 on the spot.

So now I am the proud owner of a mounted RB powered 240Z. I just am not sure which RB motor it is. I couldnt find any marking but then again i was having trouble focusing. It is missing quite a few items though, but my megasquirt should take care of that. Which RB motors used distributors? Every one i can find a pic of is distributorless. Only thing I could find on the engine was Twin Cam 24valve Turbo. I saw the RB20's usually say it where the distributor is but this didn't say anything.

So how did I do?

I actually ave some pics on my digital, but I have 3 computers that arent working very good now and i cant get them on it. it looks like every rb20/25 but it deosnt say on the timing cover and it has a distributor. I wish i could go look at it better but it is an hour away at the guys house until thursday or friday when i can go get it. I am going to try and see if i can load my picture program on the computer i am using now so i can upload my pics.

Or email me some pics and I can hos them for you (slownrusty1@adelphia.net).

I got the pics to get on my computer. I am going to try to get them in my gallery here, but i will send you 2 pics in case i cant get them to work. Warning though, they are large but not the best looking as i forgot i had my camera in low quality.

Ryan

I could be wrong but from what I have seen that looks like the z31 RB20. Distributor definatley looks out of place. Looks like it was somehow added in place of the CAS. As far as I know the RB's never came with a distributor and I surely can't see NIssan putting one hanging off the front of the motor like that right next to the radiator. I could be wrong though. Nice find regardless.

JT

Yeah that is a red top RB20DET from a 86-88 R31 skyline/Z31/Cefiero(sp?). The distributor definatly looks out of place and i dont think it is stock. I wont know for sure to later this week or weekend when i can go pick up the car. I have posted the distributor question on RB20DET.com's message board hoping they will know. I am a little dissapointed at the fact it is only rated at 178bhp. Good thing it reacts good to upgrades. But damn are camshafts expensive. Jun wants $1050-$1695 for thier cam kits.