HybridZ

What Size 'bullet' muffler can fit 240z with custom exhaust?

Hugh

I'm going to be building a custom 3" exhaust soon for my SR20DET install. I'd like a good Bullet or N1 style muffler in back. Something very modern looking, straight through, and hopefully without a ratty tin-can sound.

Anyone have one on their Z that fits well? What length should I be looking for?

Oh, and obviously I need a 3" inlet.

I love the sound of the Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers, but I don't think they will look good visible in the back of a Z. I had one in my 180sx that was hidden underneath with just a stainless striaght pipe coming out. No space to do this on the Z I guess.

I was thinking about the Apexi N1 muffler here:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=APX%2D156%2DA003&N=110&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=apexi

The can is 13" long, so I suppose I shouldn't have any trouble fitting that, right?

Problem is its 3.4inches... so I will have to slip the pipes together and step up in size, unless I can find a reducer. I wouldn't mind 3.4 inches back, but I have a small pre-muffler that is 3" in and out that will fit where the downpipe ends. (4 inch outer diameter racing muffler - takes the 4-cylinder tinny sound out)

Is that Summit link right? 3.4 in inlet???? Anyone else ever heard of 3.4 inch exhaust???

Judging by the pic I'd guess 1 3/4 inch inlet' date=' 4 inch outlet. Standard ricer Honda boy muffler specs, right?[/quote']

You can't always go by the pictures on Summit's site.

The Apexi N1 catbacks are available in japan in very large sizes. My friend's 180sx has one that starts at 70mm and expands to 90mm by the muffler. That 90mm I believe is 3.4 inches. (80mm is about 3 inches)

Wether the idiot ricers are using them or not, its a very good sounding muffler that looks great and lasts a long time. I've heard them on several SR20DET's and was impressed.

I'm just wondering about fitment issues.

It's pretty loud. Dynomax Bullet Muffler' date=' about $30 from Summit.

Before I welded it on, it fell off on a test drive. I hardly noticed a difference.

[/quote']

HAHAHA! Thats great. Yeah, I have a Dynomax Ultraflo Round muffler that is 6 inches in diamter and like 23 inches long or so. It sounds GREAT. Very deep and smooth tone, 3 inlet and outlet with 4+ inch inner diameter. I love the muffler, but its way too big for this chassis. (it barely fit under my 180sx in place of the catalytic converter)

• 2 weeks later...
It's pretty loud. Dynomax Bullet Muffler' date=' about $30 from Summit.

Before I welded it on, it fell off on a test drive. I hardly noticed a difference.

[/quote']

hehe i have that muffler on my blue Z.. love it to death! sounds so mean and for such a low price its hard to beat!

mike

Haha, I can also verify that they're sturdy. I will be looking for a much quiter muffler in the future.

It's Part # WLK-24222 from http://www.summitracing.com

Muffler, Race Bullet, 3 in. Inlet/3 in. Outlet, Aluminized Steel, Each

They may look like glasspacks, but the Race Magnum Bullet mufflers are made just for racing. Compact and lightweight, the Bullets have a 360 degree welded outer shell and a straight-through, wrap-welded, perf-tube design for maximum flow and minimum power loss.

Vendor Dynomax Performance Exhaust

Product Line Dynomax Race Magnum Bullet Mufflers

Universal Yes

Internal Construction Perforated tube

Muffler Material Steel

Muffler Finish Aluminized

Inlet Diameter (in) 3

Inlet Location Center

Inlet Quantity Single

Outlet Diameter (in) 3

Outlet Location Center

Outlet Quantity Single

Case Shape Round

Case Length (in) 12

Overall Length (in) 16 1/2

Thickness (in) (Not Specified)

Width (in) (Not Specified)

Case Outside Diameter (in) 4

Outlet Style (Not Specified)

Quantity Sold individually.

Notes (Not Specified)

Hey Guys thanks about the quick response; I was just checking the info that I got from Summit...I will get one of those for my car...

Just for the record I was asking for the weight just for calculate shipping cost...remember that I don't live in the States...so...every pound saved is a buck saved in my pocket! :lol:

Thanks again..

Diego

I thought there was a version of that muffler that is actually fiberglass wrapped to do some muffling?

This type of muffler works great as an inline resonator to tone it down before a real muffler in the back.

• 1 month later...

I ve got the same mufflers in a dual cofiguration on a custom 3" system and I'd have to say they are louder than I wanted. The mufflers are about 2.5-3' after the headers with tail pipe out the back . I wanted ultraflows but no ground clearance. It sounds like open headers down the track. I recommend placing that muffler as far back in the system as possible to anyone who might consider using it.

I just installed my Magnaflow PN 14619 muffler today. Not a huge difference over the straight pipe, but noticeably lower tone, and less intrusive noise levels and tone overall. It's a nice match with a turbo I think, if you are looking for an agressive tone still.

• 1 month later...

It sounds as though the original poster of this thread has already made his purchase; but, for those who haven't....I am going to mount dual Magnaflow mufflers (12-636) with dual resonators up front, near the X-pipe. The actual round mufflers that I am chosing are offset inlet/outlet with the hope of getting the can tucked up higher, and not having so much 'hang down' below the valance. The length is 14" and diameter is 6". The same dimensions are available in centered inlet/outlet. AND, I do NOT want a loud exhaust!

Ironically, when I went to the muffler shop to pick the guy's brain, there was a 240Z on the rack, so we were able to get a very good idea of fitment for the can dimensions. I'm running duals, one on each side of the plastic GM F-body tank. But, for those with single exhaust applications, and OE fuel tank, it appears that this can will fit fine. FWIW

Guest JAMIE T

I'm using a magnaflow 4" in/out 6 " diam. straight through muffler, about 14" long. I should have it in a couple of days. I'll post a pic. Oh, it is going behind an RB26

Guest magnadyne
Is that Summit link right? 3.4 in inlet???? Anyone else ever heard of 3.4 inch exhaust???

Judging by the pic I'd guess 1 3/4 inch inlet' date=' 4 inch outlet. Standard ricer Honda boy muffler specs, right?[/quote'] Hahaha, yeah it's right. And it is not really just for Honda boys. If it were for a Honda it would start with a .5" inlet and have a 4" tip. ;)

I have a similar full cat-back on my S14. It STARTS at 3" at the cat and steps up from there.

I would only recommend an exhaust that big on turbo cars. Espesially 6cyl turbo cars.

Anything NA could definitely benefit from a smaller diameter. Once you start opening up the exhaust on an NA car, you start to lose low end torque.

My Apex GT Spec....

Another......