HybridZ

California guys: AB2683 signed by Arnold!!

Tim240z

I used to like Arnold.

I heard people call him fiscally conservative and socially liberal when he was running. :roll: I guess this falls in the social catagory.

Its good to live in Alabama. :D

Here is a summary of the Bill:

It should not effect vehicles that are already exempted, but rather stop any more vehicle years from falling into the exemption.

SUMMARY : Repeals the "30-year rolling exemption" that applies

to the Smog Check and Smog Check II programs. Specifically,

this bill :

1)Declares the intent of the Legislature that vehicles of the

1975 model year and older shall be permanently exempted from

smog check requirements and that the Departments of Motor

Vehicles (DMV) and Consumer Affairs be afforded adequate time

to implement this bill's requirements.

2)Repeals the exemption for vehicles 30 years old or older from

vehicle maintenance and inspection programs, effective April

1, 2005.

3)Provides an exemption from those programs for vehicles that

were manufactured prior to the 1976 model year, effective

April 1, 2005.

4)Makes corresponding changes to provisions regarding the need

to obtain smog certificates of compliance.

Full text: http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2651-2700/ab_2683_cfa_20040524_183247_asm_floor.html

Just had a thought. I wonder if anyone that has pushed the bill is a collector trying to drive the price of the older cars up? Maybe to increase the value of the collection?

Just to play devils advocate. What do you guys think should be done with our nations aging cars? I hate driving down the road behind some smoke belching POS. At some point old cars need to be held to some sort of standard. The way I see it pre 75 cars did'nt have much for emis controls and therefor need not be required to be smoged to keep emissions down. As the years go by the number of 30+ year old cars is increasing not to mention the total number of cars on the road. Now don't get me wrong I don't like big brother either I was the first one to post news of the rolling smog repeal, but at some point don't we need to make sure that the cars with emmision controls on them don't become smog belching pieces of s#%t????????? I like fresh air and its getting hard to find around here!

Just had a thought. I wonder if anyone that has pushed the bill is a collector trying to drive the price of the older cars up? Maybe to increase the value of the collection?

Collectors value totally stock vehicles. Right down to the paint marks on the body panels. I would think nothing in this law will change that.

Also most 30+ year old cars that are still drivable are owned by car guys who take better care of their vehicles than the average joe. That, combined with what would have to be the small number of old cars that are still driven makes me wonder just how much "pollution" this bill will prevent.

I am sure sombody somewhere has posted estimates.

My 71 is still golden!

Just to play devils advocate. What do you guys think should be done with our nations aging cars? I hate driving down the road behind some smoke belching POS. At some point old cars need to be held to some sort of standard. The way I see it pre 75 cars did'nt have much for emis controls and therefor need not be required to be smoged to keep emissions down. As the years go by the number of 30+ year old cars is increasing not to mention the total number of cars on the road. Now don't get me wrong I don't like big brother either I was the first one to post news of the rolling smog repeal, but at some point don't we need to make sure that the cars with emmision controls on them don't become smog belching pieces of s#%t????????? I like fresh air and its getting hard to find around here!

While I totally agree with the argument, and realistically this Bill is a good idea, and probably overdue, since I have a vested interest in keeping my 73 car(s) exempt, I am against it, as well as being against regulation in general....

Tim

Guest 77vegasz

I live in Nevada, and we have to smog back through 1968 currently.

I have a 1977 280Z with a 1968 327 built to about 350 hp with no smog equipment at all. I lean down the mixture a bit and pass the tail pipe test with no problems.

I think most guys in this forum keep their cars in good repair, as do I. If I can pass the 1977 tailpipe standards without an issue, you should be able to do the same unless the motor needs some attention. And Like I saw above, nobody likes to drive behind a smoking POS!

Jon

Truthfully, I can accept a smog test as long as it is done correctly. To me that means tailpipe sniffer test only. As long as the pollutants are not coming out the tail pipe, who cares what engine or other equipment my car has in it?

I agree. The problem with the CA tests are that they visually check for all correct emissions related equipment. They also test the fuel cap to ensure that it holds vacuum. So, you could have the cleanest running vehicle, but if you are missing a vacuum line or air pump etc, you fail!

Maryland does the visual also. They use to do a treadmill test. Now they just to the visual and check the OBDII codes.

The problem with the tailpipe test is it is not very stressing. It doesn't check the emissions when the engine is cold (probably the worst case scenario for a carbed vehicle), usually doesn't check them under load and can't check for gas fumes escaping from the car (for some reason something they worry about a lot )

This is why I want to mod my "exempt" vehicle to be legal anyway.

Yup. My complaint with Virginia has always been that they don't care about real emissions... there is now reason for them to lift the hoo don my car and see what is under it, so long as it burns clean. However, Right now my Vette won't pass emissions under the current "Visual" inspection regs. My cold air kit is not emissions legal, which causes the problem from a visual aspect.

Most of the states involved in emissions testing have it all backwards... All in the name of REVENUE generation.

Mike