HybridZ

LS1 RX7 swap started

Mike,

That is awsome :shock: That is my second favorite swap besides the Z of course. Keep us up to date on the progress. I bet with a little tweaking that car is going to flat out haul butt!

Mike

qwik240z the wiring harness came in just fine, thanks for the good deal.

Since you are so fast at these swaps, How about coming to DC to visit and finish mine for me. I bet you could have it running in a weekend

I will not be there until March.

Mike

Since you are so fast at these swaps' date=' How about coming to DC to visit and finish mine for me. I bet you could have it running in a weekend

I will not be there until March.

Mike[/quote']

Well if I am not finished by then I will welcome your help. Come and visit if you are in town.

I know that this is not a RX7 forum but I wanted to post some pics of my swap. I got my mount kit in yesterday so I was able to start my swap.

You just got the mounts yesterday and your already that far! :shock: Love the swap and keep the pics comming!

Guy

A third gen with an LS1. Hmmmm. I always thought it wasn't fair that I had run un Superstock with all those Z06 Vettes. Maybe I should look into an LS6 swap. I'd fit right in. Then again, I love the turbo rush and the uniqueness of this car. One problem I have autocrossing it is that I have this bias that it isn't that fast and it has infinite grip. Nothing could be further from the truth. I can easily overpower the car, and I can spin out easily if I want. One thing is indisputible, though. It is one of the most beautiful cars around. I get more attention in it than a hot chick. Ricers stare in awe and gold chain wearing Porsche and Vette drivers always want to race me. Love this car.

I will have it at the track in 2 weeks to find out how it performs next to the 240z. My 240z with the ls1/4l60e and roll cage was 2575lbs

Mike Knell brought his weight scales buy before I did the swap in the rx7. I think it was 2820lbs before. I will weigh it again after the swap. I think that the rx7 will be 250lbs more than a 240z. I will have to wait for the track before I know how it performs.

Mike

Sorry, but he's not the first to do an LS1 third gen RX-7 swap.

Hot Rod magazine May '04 issue page 30. In their "77 Street Machines That Haul Ass" article they have a picture of a third gen RX-7 that's black with a limo tint and stock appearing.

The caption reads, "'93 Mazda RX-7 Brian Hinson, Tuscaloosa, AL. Two-stage nitrous-enhanced LS1 power in a package that weighs 400 pounds less than a C5 Corvette delivers 10.12 e.t.'s at 137 mph. And it's driven everyday."