HybridZ

Just a BIG grin on my face now! (a few new pics too)

WOW! :eek2::D

Scroll down to the next bolded text line if you want to skip the info about what work I've done and just read about letting hell unleash for the first time in my Z! ... pics are at the bottom

After battling the coolant explosion, PCM problems, other various eletronic kinks and an awful overheating problem.... THE Z HAS NO MORE MAJOR PROBLEMS!!!!!!! :D

Here's what I've done since last week:

- Got a new PCM and had it flashed w/ VATS removed

- Got my radiator fan running correctly (when the key is in the on position)

- Figured out my Fuel gauge is reading backwards! :oops: (I ran out of gas and it says full... then I filled the tank up and now it says empty!!! LOL)

- Installed a very nice Flexcool® lower radiator hose (the upper one will be installed once I find some custom 90° bends)

- Installed my new metal header gaskets (unfortunately there is still a leak on the driver side header :( )

- FINALLY washed the Z! So much dirt and grime came out of the cracks after sitting for almost 2 years! :shock: Next thing to do is clay bar, polish and 2 layers of wax to rejuvinate that paint! :wink:

At this moment there are only a few more teenie jobs to be done before she is TOTALLY complete!

- Install thermostat (running direct @ 180° w/ no thermostat right now :) )

- Install polished coolant overflow catch can w/ braided steel lines

- Install oil catch can w/ braided steel lines

- Install braided steel fuel lines

- Install Flexcool® upper radiator hose

- Flush and refill my cooling system w/ Dexcool

- Rewire my fuel gauge so it reads correctly

- Install new fitting for oil pressure gauge to fix the leak

- Relocate PCM to inside and under the dash (I dont want another coolant catastrophe)

- Fabricate new windsheild cowl for my wiperless configuration

- Fabricate engine bay covers & air guides

- Fabricate front and rear belly pans

- Hide my battery & amp

- Rewire the stereo system

- Clean, detail and clean! :)

It seems like a long list, but all of those jobs are NOTHING major at all. I should be able to have the majority of them done by the end of the month! The fabrication jobs will take the most time, but it's all accessory stuff now for the most part!

Hopefully I'll have a good portion of that stuff done by October 30th which is when I'll be entering my Z in a local Nissan Show N' Shine car show here is Katy/Houston, Texas. I'm also going to be taking her to a show on November 13th in San Antonio which will be hosted by Sport Z Magazine! I'm soooo excited!!!!

Onto the REALLY cool stuff and main reason for posting! (Sorry, I had to include all of my work and what's-left-to-do list :roll: )

I took the Z out for an "Acceleration test" for the first time Saturday night. I had never taken her above 2500rpms prior to this !!! I still played it REALLY safe though and just rowed through the gears... no power-shifting just yet... I'm not used to the T-56 pattern. lol

Anyways... I went to a freeway that isn't too busy at night and decided to see how fast I could get up to 60 on the onramp. I took a left, and as soon as my car was pointing straight... I pushed it! 1st gear up to 5500 rpms... casual shift into second *Screech!*.... I'm instantly at 60mph and couldn't stop.. wound out 2nd gear to 5500rpms... slow, fumbling shift into thrid (I need practice) *Screech!* and then let off at 90 mph!

:eek2: ............

I was giddy and completely wired at this point. 90mph came SOO fast. I just couldn't stop smiling! :) Now the thing is... and I'm sure some of you already noticed... I shifted at 5500rpms. I know the LS1 redline is higher.. but I'm too scared to push it any higher just yet... that and she was pulling like a MOFO anyway! I was also shifting pretty slowly allowing time for the rpms to drop just a little before I got it into the next gear... I STILL spin in second and then into THIRD! :twisted: I have never experienced 3rd-gear wheelspin before... and honestly.. I didn't expect it! I was shifting early, shifting slowly and I have 265, Y-rated, sticky tires!!! They still broke loose! MY ENGINE IS BONE STOCK!!!!!! Oooooh, the potential makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!! The power is just overwhelming... man is it awesome!

(Keep in mind... I've been driving a 120hp 1986 BMW 325es for nearly 2 years now... this was my first taste of speed in that long amount of time! Man did it feel good! )

Ok.. I had to share. Sorry it was so long, but I just can't get over how unbelievable this creation is!

On with the new pics:

links:

Gauge Pod

Z pic 1

Z Pic 2

Z Pic 3

Z Pic 4

Night Pic (this one's pretty cool, just wish it came out a bit clearer)

Night Pic 2

Happy Fall Holidays from the family Z-driving scarecrow! :wink:

10-9-wash_5.jpg

Enjoy guys! I'll be continuing work on the Z when I can get back home in about 2 weeks... I'm itching to get y'all some nice video, so hopefully that'll happen!

-Vann

Vann,

You still in or near Austin or San Marcus? I would love to see your car... Also, do you know a guy named Kyle or Nikko in Clear lake? I think we may have met before... Anyway, I'm in Austin and I would like to see your car....

Myron

936-443-9359

Congrats, :rolleyesg: I'm jelous. California is one of the dreaded states that doesn't allow modifications like thin on cars newer than 1974, otherwise I'd definately not be on this site, I'd probably be putting an all-wheel drive chassis and a V-8 in my Honda right now, instead I have to get rid of it because the engine is not going to pass emmissions and it's not worth fixing...

Your fuel gage is wrong because you got a mismatch between your sender and your gage. There are several flavors of sending units they put out different resistance ranges for different types of cars. I forget the ranges, but I know some of them are opposite of others. If you measured with an ohm gage the resistance from the sender (one wire to ground) when the tank is full vs. empty you would know what flavor you have, then buy the appropriate gage.

http://hp.autometer.com/products/c2/tachs_and_gauges/tachs_and_gauges.html

This site has a programmable fuel gage, then it doesn't matter.

Good luck.

Hickl.....

I am ramping up!... I decided to slack off a little on my ariel photography stuff and throw some chingy at my Z..... I may have found a 99 LS1 TA donor car.... CHEAP........ I need to decide if I wanna spend my "play money" on tools to do all this myself again or just put it in the chassis shop..... It is harder to work on stuff with my dads shop 160 miles away.... Anyway... LOOK OUT!!!

Myron

Vann' date='

You still in or near Austin or San Marcus? I would love to see your car... Also, do you know a guy named Kyle or Nikko in Clear lake? I think we may have met before... Anyway, I'm in Austin and I would like to see your car.... [/quote']

I'm still going to school in San Marcos, but my Z stays at home in Katy (just west of Houston). I'm not sure if I'll have it up here anytime soon cept maybe for an upcoming car show in San Antonio on November 13th. If you're ever going to be near Houston, lemme know... otherwise, I'll keep you posted on the San Antonio show and maybe you can come check it out there. :)

hey Vann want to know if you wanna dyno the LS1 Z32?

free at my school.. no wideband but atleast you can see what your putting down.

let me know.

mike

Where at?? I'll be back down on October 21st until October 24th and I'd love to get some #'s to look at & a video. Lemme know! :)

-Vann

• 3 weeks later...

Those pics don't do it justice at all! One of the sexiest machines I've ever seen on the road for sure!

By sound alone, it'd be easy to convince someone it's just the V6 with exhaust. He has the stock LS1 manifolds and cats...only the mufflers are different.