HybridZ

Design Your Own Wheels

Wheels America came and did a presentation at our club meeting last night. They are considering offering a program where you design your own wheel - diameter, rim width, offset, lug pattern, spoke design, powder coated in custom colors, polished or chromed. You send them the design, work with their engineer to make it feasible and they build the wheel. Cost around $750/wheel. For you guys going for the full custom machines I would suggest contacting one of their stores and asking about it. It might speed them toward implementation.

Guest DiZeased_240

I know they are one off but unless you are a custom car builder(with a healthy budget) that's a little steep for my tastes. Cool idea if you have a specific design, but I think there are plenty of other manufacturers available that have some nice designs and allow custom fitments.

The ones I'm looking at on Kodiak Racing are $450 and you can customize everything except the design. Just don't seem worth IMO.

I agree - I was immediately discouraged by the price but, if you're one of the full custom guys, then $750/wheel is not an unreasonable price. I saw a 2005 yellow 350Z last weekend that had an optional set of wheels and tires on it that stickered for $7,990. At nearly $2k/corner for that -$750/wheel is a bargain!

750 a wheel is kinda steep, but I would pay that much for my custom design if I had the money to do my whole project, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it.

I have plans for 17" x12's rear and 17x10 up front with 4" backspacing all around (= some negative offset). I am going to have to remember that name in the future. The style is most similar to the Konig Next (well the lip and number of spokes will the same) with a 4.5" lip in back and 2.5" lip up front). Of course the tires won't be cheap either with ~(305-315)-30-17's and ~(275-295)-(35-40)-17's on those rims. Patience is a virtue. C'mon sweepstakes and lottery :twisted:(I need like 60k for my project I think (very wild estimate probably more like ~25k) but you never know) .

How to they develop their wheels? Forged? Rolled? CNC?

Ran across a British site that supplied custom wheels made to order. They had a good range of styles including a lot of old school ones featuring classic American and Italian designs. Brilliant stuff :-D

Didn't note the site or prices though. Dumb post :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
750 a wheel is kinda steep' date=' but I would pay that much for my custom design if I had the money to do my [u']whole[/u] project, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it.

I have plans for 17" x12's rear and 17x10 up front with 4" backspacing all around (= some negative offset). I am going to have to remember that name in the future. The style is most similar to the Konig Next (well the lip and number of spokes will the same) with a 4.5" lip in back and 2.5" lip up front). Of course the tires won't be cheap either with ~(305-315)-30-17's and ~(275-295)-(35-40)-17's on those rims. Patience is a virtue. C'mon sweepstakes and lottery :twisted:(I need like 60k for my project I think (very wild estimate probably more like ~25k) but you never know) .

How to they develop their wheels? Forged? Rolled? CNC?

• 3 weeks later...

I went to powertechs website powertech It appears they do make truly custom wheels but are limited to being flat and I think it must be a ten spoke design. Can some one else look to see if I'm right. It was kind of confusing.

ROH wheels in australia might make truly custom wheels, but how they understand what you want looked confusing. Very vague.

Any other ideas for truly custom aluminum wheels. Where do drifters get there custom wheels? Especially the wide wheels?

Guest shinchu
Where do drifters get there custom wheels? Especially the wide wheels?

i guess i can tell you since i'm a "drifter".

in this magical place called "Japan". :wink:

you just have to search. i found a great set of +10 offset 15x7 enkei mesh for my ae86 at ecology. $30 each!

forked over the very affordable $350 for a set of konig rewinds 14x7 with -9 offset! for the same car (yes they fit stock fenders with a little coaxing of a hammer) got them from gabe at Techno Toy Tuning. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! great place and customer service is best in the business.

again lightened the wallet by 400 smackers with a set of 16x7 +20 SSR mesh for the 240.

you just gotta keep your eyes open.

a place a lot of people in LA go to is ALTA WHEELS and another good one is wheel choice but thier selection is slim.

http://www.club4ag.com has a good forum with a for sale section that you can find a buttload of rims in. do a search for TOP USA they sell wheels on that forum almost exclusively.

good luck!

16x7 and 17x7, very common sizes, easy to come by. But I'm talking 17x12 with -50.8offset (-2inch offset, 4 inches of backspace), and 17x10 with -38.1offset or -(1.5inch offset, 4 inches of backspace). That my friend isn't a very common wheel size. But if you know who can make them, that would be awesome. I know some of those wide body 240SX's run some pretty wide wheels.

Any one here know if an 18inch wheels with low profile tires will fit in the wheel wells of a 1979 280ZX 2+2? Would coilovers be the best solution for keeping the ride height at about 4inches or would more customizing be neccesary to keep away from too much negative camber?

anything by 7" is easy to come by, but what about 17x12 with -2 inches (-50.8mm) of offset (4.5" of lip) and 17x10 with -1.5 inches (-38.1mm) of offset (2.5" of lip). With a rounded polished lip, and seven spoke design similar to that of the G35 coupe? If you can match that description that would be awesome! I'll have to try the site you mentioned though, and no doubt, Japan is a magical land of rare unique custom parts and great cars :D .