HybridZ

Raced it!

cygnusx1

Well I made it back in one peice and so did the Z. I attended my first EMRA School and Time Trial event today with my Z and did well. The Z held up to about 220 miles of travel and 42 miles of shear beating. I am thorougly happy with the way the motor performed. I had no trouble pulling away from almost every car in the class asides from a couple of M3's with great drivers. The handling of the Z was phenominal. I put space behind me in every turn. Perfect drifts and throttle steer with NO bad habits. I was afraid of my lack of brakes and it came to haunt me later in the day as I came down the main straight at 110mph for big bend and the brake pedal went soft. Oh C2Ap! :shock: Fortunately the track is designed with enough space so I pumped the brakes, got pressure back, and managed to get it around the bend into a really late apex. I took it easy from there on in and did not enter into the timed trial for fear of killing myself. Once the brakes cooled, they came back but enough was enough. I ran 13psi boost and 54psi fuel at boost, 27btdc. My friend in an STi was behind me and said he saw flames coming out of my tailpipe :twisted: I wish I got a photo of that.

Here are a couple of shots-

backhump.jpg

ssssss.jpg

esses.jpg

Boiling the brake fluid is... interesting, isn't it? :shock::lol: When the brakes cool off and they come back like that, they don't really "come back". Give them about 2 hard corners and the pedal goes to the floor again. Ask me how I know... :wink: Once it boils you gotta bleed.

For next time, bring a can of your favorite hipo brake fluid and a bleeder bottle and bleed them before the time trial. Always a good idea to check the pads in between runs just to make sure there is still some left too.

All in all sounds like a good time to me. How did you work out the brake bias thing? Just adjust the rears a little looser?

Looks like a great time! Very sweet track, lots of room. I bet some of those other cars were blown away (figuratively and literally) by how bad-ass your car is. Let 'em know what's up! :shock:

81zxturbo

95slobaru

Is that a squirel in front of you in that pic between turn 2-3?Limerock is a fun track for sure but I'm looking forward to Watkins Glenn a t the next convention.In that first pic you can see a chickane at the top of the hill.That was added after Steve Millen nearly burned to death in a nasty crash while cresting that hill and getting air.Imagine how fast he must have been going to have looped it.

Yeah, thats my highly trained, rare, apex-pointer squirrel. He stands there to help me hit the apex. He used to work for that insurance company forcing cars off the road...... :lol:

No, I think its just lens debris.

The Z was very fast compared to almost every car in the class. I was hitting 110 mph and was letting up very early because of the brake problems. It was my first time ever on any track and I was being held up alot by slower traffic. If it wasnt for the traffic I would have boiled the brakes much sooner.

Good luck rags. Maybe I'll call in sick too.

Guest bastaad525

not to beat on a dead horse but....

I STILL have no idea how you're getting away running such 'low' fuel pressure on stock injectors, pushing 13-14psi thru a T04. I had actually forgotten that you weren't running a stock T3... now that I saw that in your sig again I'm even more baffled. There must be some serious difference between your stock injectors and mine :D I had figured from comparison of my own dyno tuning sessions you HAD to be running lean... but now, reading about how you whupped on it on an actual road course, surely with a lot of sustained WOT, if you had been running lean I'm almost sure you'd have had some kinda problems from it. I've got my fuel pressure up at about 70pst at WOT/full boost at 14psi on stock T3, to keep it running a safe high 11/low 12:1 a/f ratio.

So I'm really, really baffled.

And that really does look like a squirrel :D

I never really reved it past 5K rpms. It has soo much torque and power between 3000-5000 that its wasn't worth reving it over that. If I did go over 5k the power flattened drastically. That may have been the knock sensor pulling timing. I dont know :?: When I did the swap, I got new injectors that are supposed to be stock turbo ZX injectors. Other than that, it's all 1983 factory L28ET with 115,000 miles on it. Maybe it's on the verge of destruction. I have NO idea. The rear and the half shafts definately took a beating. I was doing alot of downshifting, using the clutch as a brake, to assist my faded brakes. On the way home, I noticed that noise from the rear during engine braking got quite louder. Fortunately, I still have the donor ZX with it's rear and CV shafts in my driveway.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

MORE ROAD RACERS AWESOME!!!

That is great! I went to Limerock and camped in the infield as a spectator back in the early 80s. I saw Danny Ongais Driving for the Interscope Team. Road Racing tests the limit of Pilot and Machine. Well Done.

What is the track length and what were your lap times?

Guest bastaad525

same deal here, I keep it to 5000-5500 (though torque is falling significantly by that point, my hp curve is actually pretty flat and constant all the way to 6k). Even by 5000rpm at 70psi fuel pressure, the air/fuel ratio has started it's climb up.

Guest bastaad525

Cygnus - hey I'm just curious... if I remember right you're using a grainger MBC to control boost right? Where do you take your boost signal from, the intake manifold or the compressor housing?

Yeah, Ball/Spring MBC, built from Grainger Parts....actually McMaster.com parts.

I tapped a hole in the compressor housing, near the outlet, of the TO4B and send that signal to the MBC. My boost gauge is piped to the intake manifold. I am still taking the FMU boost signal from the intake manifold.

Guest bastaad525

Huh... and you don't have the problem of boost falling off slowly (or at all) as revs increase? If I run the MBC from the compressor housing, boost starts out at 14psi at 3k rpm, but slowly falls to about 11-12psi by 6k. If I run the MBC from the intake manifold, I get steady boost all the way up, but more boost spike at onset.

Someone suggested this may be an issue with pressure drop across my I/C. I still am undecided on how I should leave it. Part of me likes the idea of boost falling with revs... more safety on the high end, you know? But part of me would prefer the nicer power curve from 14psi all the way up.

I can't understand why my I/C would be causing so much of a drop....