HybridZ

Some pictures of my fuel setup

auxilary

PICT0059.sized.jpg

PICT0060.sized.jpg

Fuel cell with walbro 255lph inline pump, 8AN to earl filter to pump, 8an braided line all the way to the y block up front.

PICT0066.sized.jpg

1/2" to 3/8" Y block, converted to 6AN.

PICT0067.sized.jpg

PICT0062.sized.jpg

6 an lines run to parallel fuel rails, with 550cc primary and 1680cc secondary injectors

PICT0064.sized.jpg

Both lines (one not included in the picture) run to aeromotive a1000-6 fuel pressure regulator. Still have to do return line

PICT0065.sized.jpg

Guest bastaad525

LOL for a second I was like "what kind of engine is that???"

I almost forgot what a rotary looks like w/o the 10,000 vacuum hoses and other doodads on it!

Looks nice and clean. Good job. How many gal. fuel-cell?

The regulator and gauge is on the return side yes?

The component downstream of the filter' date=' is that some type of pump pulse dampner?[/quote']

16 gallon pro street fuel cell, same as tim240z's setup. The rails run in parallel, so 2 return lines go to the regulator, and one return goes to the fuel cell. The component downstream of the filter ... actually, that's Earl's pre-filter (smaller blue tube) and the walbro inline fuel pump (larger diameter tube)

• 3 months later...
Guest 75Turbo

I have a very simular fuel tank to yours... at least the fuel pickup looks identical. If you are drag racing its great, if you road race you'll probably notice very flat power at the corner apex. The fuel sloshes forward under braking and recovers pressure somewhere near the track out point. This happens to me at approx 7gal left in tank (I'm using a 15gal cell).

Not trying to critisize... just trying to save a headache.

Looks great otherwise!

Yep, I have the same problem. I now have the Areomotive 1000 fuel pump and the problem is even worse, I can hear my pump starving for fuel under regular driving under braking with almost a full tank. I've got some ideas on how to fix it and I will post when I have it fixed. I know Owen and some others have had to install surge tanks to fix it but it seems like alot of work. I thought thats why these damn cells had sumps to prevent this from happening? Oh well, something else to do!

That is the reason I put in a surge tank with a low pressure pump...that way I could also turn the cell to face forward and not have the outlets sticking out the rear. As a byproduct of the surge tank, my fuel pump noise went down DRASTICALLY. It must be a result of it being given pressure on the inlet instead of it trying to suck the fuel in......

Tim

Keep in mind that the return line from the fuel rail is also feeding the surge tank. Also remember that a fuel injected engine uses no more fuel than a carby engine, just needs more pressure, not more volume.

So, the extra fuel that bypasses the injectors is going back to the surge tank, plus the fuel from the low pressure pump.....there is wayyyy more fuel being supplied to the surge tank that the engine could ever use. And, I would imagine that the surge tank is actually seeing about 2-3psi of pressure because of all the excess fuel being supplied to it......besides all that...it works......I used it..... :-D

I hate bar! Right now I'm running to high on my fp dew to my return lines being to small for my Areo 1000. Its at like 45psi on my gage at idle. I'm in the process of installing A Jsk fuel rail,Areo fpr, and 1/2" lines, not to mention the surge tank! I think maybe I'll turn my tank around again so my lines won't be sticking out anymore like I wanted it from the start. So what is that bar almost 3 at idle?

Thanks Tim thats kind what I figured, my only problem with that is that after I bought my Areo 1000 I read the instructions and it said not to run with less than 10 gals of gas for long periods or not longer than 30min on low fuel. This I found out is cause the gas gets to warm and sounds more like rocks going through my fuel pump. So add a 2nd pump=more heat and surge tank =recirculated heated gas= bad.

my only problem with that is that after I bought my Areo 1000 I read the instructions and it said not to run with less than 10 gals of gas for long periods or not longer than 30min on low fuel. This I found out is cause the gas gets to warm and sounds more like rocks going through my fuel pump. So add a 2nd pump=more heat and surge tank =recirculated heated gas= bad.

Your problem is the fuel pump you're using. Get rid of that pump. It's a high volume pump (too high) and not the right pump for your application. That pump will overheat very quickly, and when that happens, it performs poorly and gets very loud. You could be experiencing vapor lock from too much heat in your fuel system.

I hate bar!

The reason I asked about your base fuel pressure (in bar) is because the jwt ecu you are using is either programmed to run a 3bar or 4bar base fuel pressure, and there's a big difference between the two.

Aside from that, to solve your problem, you do not need a surge tank. You need a pump that will flow adequate volume of fuel at the pressure your running (base pressure + boost pressure).

This is from experience.