HybridZ

Anti-Rice Muffler Suggestions

Guest Z2nr

I am really contemplating the idea of putting doing an Sr20det swap in a 240z, what exhasut would sound nice, and get rid of that ricey coffee can sound?

I really liked the rsr exmag sound on my 240sx, beautiful, not ricey at all, just clean with the sr swap.

I wish to have something similar for my 240z, any suggestions?

The ultimate non rice muffler IMO is the Dynomax Super Turbo. No frills, decent performance and sounds good. $29.49 from JC Whitney. No resonator, not stainless or polished, just works.

You can hear mine if you go to Albums and download my little powerslide video. Of course, some of that noise is the Mikunis' sucking... 8)

No I am still gonna do it, it's just that I don't want that nasty ricey sound coming from my car.

When people turn their head to look at my car I want it to be because they like it not because they are disgusted by my bumble bee droning exhaust like every other ricer here in SoCal.

I want a nice note that I like and can live with.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Dynomax Super Turbo, generic "turbo" mufflers, or anything else with packing and louvered pipes instead of just chambers. You can also get a stock resonator from a DSM or 3000gt/Stealth and it will mellow out the exhaust note.

Wait wait wait, you think an SR20DET is gonna sound like a coffee can ricey engine??

Have you heard on running? It's got a nice smooth sound to it, unless you run it with no mulffling at all.

Please dont think its gonna sound like a freaking Honda 1.6 liter.... it doesn't.

I ran a Dynomax Ultraflo on my SR20DET, and it sounded nice and deep and smooth. (for a 4 cylinder, seriously) I got a lot of compliments on the nice sound.

I'm also not a fan of the ricey rock-in-coke-can Honda sound... but don't think that a turbo 2 liter will make that sound, it doesn't

Guest unknownroadster

Also note that with a turbo on the front end of the muffler, it wont sound ricey at all. (car off topic...sorry) On my VW, I have a custom 2.5" TB, no cat. or res. to a oval bullet muffler, and it sounds great, has a nice deep rumble when you get on it with boost, it doesnt drone on the freeway or anything, even shoots a nice flame out the rear during high RPM shifts.... :D:D

Bullet? Almost like you have no muffler at all.

You should use an Ultraflo. I used the Ultraflow Round with an inline Bullet muffler from Buddy Club and it sounded awesome. I'm trying to figure out which size Ultraflo will fit my Z properly.

You could do the same and run a bullet muffler a ways up the line (close to the downpipe) just keep the outer diameter small on it.

A bullet by itself is VERY loud on an SR20DET.. and it sounds like a tractor on crack.

I'll second the Bullet being loud. I run one next to my D shaft but also run a Hooker maxflo, straight through muffler at the back.

The Dynomax Ultraflo race mufflers are also loud. I have a 6" round on my L28 Z. The internal diameter is larger than the inlet. They are good for racecars though.