HybridZ

Considering Megasquirt? LOOK HERE!!!!

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

:cry::cry::cry: God I wish I had seen this sooner!!!!!! :x:evil:

http://www.rs-autosport.com/

Megasquirt units, already assembled, tested, and ready to go... $249... or, about the same price I paid for my RRFPR/FMU. Or add $50 and you get the full wiring harness kit to go with it *looks for the smack self icon*. An RRFPR with one adjustment... or a fully programmable standalone EFI system... for almost the same price... hmmmmmmmmm

If I had known I could have this thing already put together and everything for this price ....... aw man... @!*!!!!!!!!!

why didn't anyone tell me :cry:

Well... maybe I can pawn the FMU off on some ricer and not be a total loss. Now... if only I can get up the confidence to actually try to install it... or maybe there is somewhere I could get it installed at a reasonable cost?

Hopefully this info will do someone else here some good. Kinda makes the case against going MS seem pretty weak, if you were like me and afraid to try your hand at building one yourself.

Guest bastaad525

It says it right at the top of the page..... :roll:

Welcome to RS Autosport, your source for pre-assembled MegaSquirt hardware!

Please be sure to THOROUGHLY check out http://www.megasquirt.info/ for information on the use of these products. The MegaSquirt project is an open-source venture by Bruce Bowling and Al Grippo, who have succeeded in putting do-it-yourself programmable engine management in the hands of the layperson. In addition, Lance Gardiner and Eric Fahlgren have created excellent documentation and programming software, making the learning curve surprisingly easy. Be forewarned, however... a MegaSquirt is NOT plug and play, as with any other stand-alone ECU.

We'll do the assembly, soldering and testing... the rest of the fun is up to you!

The price is listed near the bottom of the page for the unit... $249 for just the ECU, or $299 with wiring harness and some other stuff.

Guest bastaad525

Sorry guys... yeah I figured it may have showed up here at some point...

well who am kidding though? Even had I known about it... well... ya know, I probably would have bought one, and either a) would have the thing half installed for like the last 6 months and been an official JackStands Racing member... well, minus the jackstands, or B) it'd be sitting on the floor in my apartment somewhere gathering dust.

I want one SOOOOOOOO badly and I follow the sticky every time a new post goes up, I just really feel there is no way I can wire that thing and have it work.

I'm very close to changing up my X-mas wish list though to have this at the top instead of that Techedge WB O2... though the paradox arises... I NEED the Techedge to tune the MS anyways...

LORD I need more money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest znow white

yah megasquirt 249 with harness 299 it doesnt say 299 harness ready for your application it can just come with a harness that prolly you have wire/solder/connect yourself i dunno im a very skeptic guy i would call them to make sure

Guest bastaad525

I thought of that as well, and brought it up to Mobythevan in a PM. Moby thinks I would have little or no trouble tuning the MS around the FMU and be able to use the two together.

Bast. If you do it, I will too. I dont mean to be a copycat but when it's a good idea, it's a good idea. Let me know how it progresses...I have been kicking the idea of programmable FI for a while now and have only been on the fence deciding weather or not to do a fuel control unit or to splurge and do both fuel and spark. I am using the stock turbo ZX ignition and dist. I think that spark control would be invaluable based on my findings with manually advancing the base timing. I could probably find a used electromotive, crank fired, direct fire ignition system eventually and use the MS to just do fuel for now....lots to think about but I like the prices of the MS stuff along with the education I might get.

exactly how does something "emulate" larger injectors?

I mean, I can see if you jack up your fuel pressure, and use it as a variable in an FMU it would back down duty cycle "like" larger injectors were installed, but if you do the simple delta equation of fuel pressure and delivery before, and fuel pressure, delivery after, and solve for delivery after, and enter THAT number into the Megasquirt, it, too will "emulate" bigger injectors in the exact same way!

The FMU should be totally unrequired with the Megasquirt, it would "tune around" the FMU just like you could "tune around" a AIC---but you really don't need to, if you only have one set of injectors, you can tune it all with the MS, regardless of you fuel pressure...

BTW, you can actually buy two MS units, and run them on two different banks of injectors, making for a 'staged' injection scenario. Basically run spark and fuel to full duty cycle on one unit, and set thesecond bank of injectors to come on where the first unit's duty cycle maxes out. You simply make the first bin about 500rpm below where the injectors go static on the primary system. This would allow about 550cc per cylinder from a set of two stock Turbo Injectors...

And if you used those 550CC ford units from the TBI engines, you could have around 720CCs...

Now I got Bastaad whirling, don't I?

:lol:

Go to http://MSEFI.COM - MSII should be out by January and it will enable you to do both spark and fuel programming. I'm going to be using the Ford EDIS-8 setup with a series 50, 36 tooth chain sprocket (got it for like $18 at surpluscenter.com) for triggering the EDIS/MSII. The big HEI will bite the dust :).

MSII is a daughter board that replaces the HC08 processor of the MS v2.2 board. It's plug and play, although getting ignition control will involve running a few extra wires from jumper locations on the board.

MS v3.0 board is in the works that will make all of that easier and cleaner.

Guest bastaad525

Tony D - the only reason I would try running MS with my FMU is because it's what I have. I still have only the stock turbo injectors. And yeah, I gotta say, with the FMU, the stock injectors seem to 'emulate' bigger injectors pretty well, considering they are now supporting well over the amount of power they should theoretically be capable of. They have been doing so reliably (so far!) and do perform consistently when I dynoed. Truth is though... having seen just how cheap I could pick up a set of 370's if I tried (~$60) I probably would 'splurge' and pick up a set if I went with MS, to get rid of that variable completely. But it would be interesting to get the MS and FMU working together. Anyways, I just mentioned it to Moby and he thought it could be done. And yeah it would involve programming the MS 'around' the FMU, basically treating the stock injectors as larger injectors when full boost comes on (which is when the FMU starts to affect fuel pressure). I don't see how I could just hook up MS with the stock injectors, remove the FMU from the equation and still support the power I'm making with my current setup.

And if I'm too nervous to try one MS, why on earth would I try doing two? :D

Cyg - If you're waiting for me before trying an MS setup bro, don't. It may not be til Xmas or after before I even get one, and who knows when I would actually start, or how long it would take me to finish and have a running car. In the meantime I'm going to start hanging out on the MS forums or newsgroups or whatever, reading and reading and learning as much as I can and HOPE that I can learn enough to get it installed and running with minimum hassle.

I'm in no rush. It has already snowed here and the roads are slick with salt. The Z is almost in full hibernation mode up the hill in the shed. I will be reading alot this winter. Usually by mid winter thaw, I have gathered enough parts and knowledge to drag the Z back down to my main garage and begin some wrenching in prep for the spring.

Winter Goals prioritized:

1)CV Shafts

2)Inspect diff. (possible LSD if I find one)

3)Viton valve seals

4)Brake upgrade- rear disc conversion/vented fronts/race fluid.

5)Programmable EFI (maybe)

I have been reading the MS threads and their website for about six months and I feel confident that I could handle the wiring and maybe even the programming... I want to see how the Spark/Fuel box pans out before I commit to anything.

I don't see how I could just hook up MS with the stock injectors, remove the FMU from the equation and still support the power I'm making with my current setup.

You couldn't, you either need to install larger injectors or stick with the FMU to increase pressure/flow.

Guest bastaad525

yep I've been thru all those equations, they came in very handy and proved to be VERY accurate when I was tuning the fuel pressure for my given hp level. At the pressure I"m running my injectors should be flowing about 320cc's, over the stock 260.

I can't help but wonder, for the guys running 370's on stock EFI, if they still get the super rich (10:1 or richer) midrange that seems to be unavoidable on these systems.

Cyg - you know, I never really got back to him, but for a little while after I ordered the FMU but before getting it on the dyno to see how it worked, I was going back and forth with Trey Parker over at B.E.G.I.

I mentioned to him the concerns about running this thing on a factory turbocharged 280zxt setup, and about the problem that it has with giving too much fuel pressure too early and/or at too low of boost. He seemed to think this problem could be easily solvable by simply changing the spring and or diaphram in the unit. He said once I found out what it was doing, it should'nt be too hard to figure out what changes would specifically need to be made, and that they could do some special order parts for guys running these on their Z's (all two of us). He didn't talk about cost, but... a different tension spring or whatever different diaphram, couldn't be that much. I'm gonna get back to him and see about getting a setup to make it so the FMU does nothing until about 8-10psi. I bet this would make a big difference in the initial 'kick' when boost first comes on.