HybridZ

Does anyone Know about this car Turbo/ Triple Webers?

SHO-Z

Does anyone know about this Z. I found the picture on “Zacksz†web site. His email account seems to be disconnected. All that I can find out is that it is a turbo with triple Webers. I am in the middle of putting together a triple SK Racing carb/supercharger project and would like to contact the owner/builder.

turbotriple2.jpg

8)

I met him at the convention in LA this year. Sorry, I don't remeber his name. Nice guy though (aren't all Z freaks?). I remeber it being a real nice installation. I looked at it for a goo 1/2 hour or so. He had a lot of money into the long block, as well as a lot of time into tuning. His wheel HP numbers seemed high, but possible (380WHP?).

Pete

I thought I answered that before.

The owner of the car is Dave Glidewell and he is a longtime Member of Group Z of SoCal.

The engine was dynoed around 345, which is not really pushing this setup, I have seen 450+ from these type of setups using proper surge boxes in Japan in the mid to late 80's...

The smaller box he has on there is horrendous on the transient suffering from a "0" boost condition at speed with even the stock compressor. There needs to be more plenum volume so slight transients do not result in you going into boost immediately as there are problems with using SK and Mmikuinis in this service (and webers are worse...) The only carbs really set up to handle this kind of application out of the box are Dellortos with the Turbocharged emulsion tubes, sealed throttle shafts, and the proper modulator rings at the front of the main venturi...

Dave and I have run these systems for a looooooooong time, I first installed mine in 87. I saw the light. Standalone EFI is FAR superior if you want a daily driver in the heat. I did drive mine daily to and from work in SoCal, and averaged 17mpg with it (better than some guys with SU's!) but when you flog it don't expect anything much more than 5mpg... So that's about 70 miles before you fill that tank again with high-test...

Guest bastaad525
Nice guy though (aren't all Z freaks?).

No :D Most S30/S130 guys are, never met many Z31 people, Z32 people I've met tend to have attitudes more often than not though :shock:

Tony - you got me beat... I averaged 13mpgs on my SU'ed motor, mostly street driven, but running great with rebuilt Ztherapy carbs, dyno tuned.

No :D Most S30/S130 guys are' date=' never met many Z31 people, Z32 people I've met tend to have attitudes more often than not though :shock: [/quote']

Hate to say it but, seems like this is true for me also. Most of them think "Oh I've got this guy beat" Little do they know :!:

Tony D

Do you think I will have trouble with 7 to 9 psi of boost on the triple 45mm SK carbs. I am planning on using a 4" Square tube for the induction manifold. The boost off of the supercharger is almost constant so should not have a problem with surging. What carb modifications do you recommend? I have never messed with triples before.

Thanks

Sho-z

260 Convertible Soon to be a Hybrid

8)

I've known of 2 people that ran them at 12 psi. The didn't have any problems.

Tony D

Do you think I will have trouble with 7 to 9 psi of boost on the triple 45mm SK carbs. I am planning on using a 4" Square tube for the induction manifold. The boost off of the supercharger is almost constant so should not have a problem with surging. What carb modifications do you recommend? I have never messed with triples before.

Thanks

Sho-z

260 Convertible Soon to be a Hybrid

8)

I think you will need to have one helluva large blowoff dump valve to dump positive pressure off the carburettors during idle and drop throttle conditions.

Surge was not the problem, it was a condition under light throttle where the plenum went to "0" pressure almost instantly, and the carbs have a presistent lean stumble in this area. They will cough and lightly pop no matter WHAT you do. The only way to stop it is to use a larger plenum sized like HKS Surge Tank, and add modulator rings as the Maserati BiTurbgo did on the Dellorto's in it's blow-through configuration. I would go wet supercharger---you don't really need intercooling with a wet system and only 9psi. Lynn Burkhardt of the Ontario Canada club runs 12 to 17psi on his blower, but he's EFI...

And has been since 1995 at least.

I wonder why... :?

Hey guys,

I really dont know that much, okay anything, about he carb'd turbo systems. But i was reading through this post and that light throttle condition and thought about the supercharger blowoff valves like the VORTEC. These type blow off vavles flow alot of air and are open till you reach positive manifold pressure. Granted this isnt the best for building boost, but i ran one on my turbo z for a while and it wasnt too bad. Just thought it might be a possibility for the carb'd guys.

*dont flame :oops: * just a thought

No :D Most S30/S130 guys are' date=' never met many Z31 people, Z32 people I've met tend to have attitudes more often than not though :shock:

Tony - you got me beat... I averaged 13mpgs on my SU'ed motor, mostly street driven, but running great with rebuilt Ztherapy carbs, dyno tuned.[/quote']

really!? I started with a Z31 and always felt like the bastard Z child, everyone wanted an S30 or a Z32 and not many cared about the old Z31, in our local Z Club we have serious gearheards owning Z31's and Z32's no atitude that I've seen, I suppose there are a lot of Z32-Z33 owners that have what they feel is the ultimate car with no care for where it came from, but I have mets some great guys with the newer cars

This goes back to my original idea. The supercharger that I have is off of a SK230 Mercedes, with an electric clutch like on an air conditioner compressor. I could set it up kick in at say 1500 rpm and up. On the air intake plenum have a check valve that will open under vacuum allowing air to bypass the supercharger. On my original wet supercharger plan I was looking at a bypass with check valve around the supercharger, this way I could run with or without the supercharger running. This would be real neat on a FI engine.

So many decisions so little money.

Thanks for the input.

8)

You know what, with that setup, you will ABSOLUTELY need a bypass valve that is open on vacuum operation.

If you don't plumb the float bowls to the same pressure as the barrels, you run into problems. so the plenum for the front of the carbs has to take this into consideration---if you do not, every time you lift throttle, the fuel will be pushed up the mainjets and totally flood the engine due to the 14" of water you get!

This is how "modulator rings" work on a turbo blowthrough. When at low airflows, they do nothing , but on-boost they act as a venturi at the front of the carbutrettor putting the main section of the primary and secondary booster venturi under a slight vacuum condition compared to the pressure present in the plenum, avoiding hte "on-boost cough" and as boost increases, so does the fuel enrichment regardless of mainjet size!

This is how Maserati got by iwth comparitaviely small main jets, but still managed to run rich enough under boost to not detonate!

I assumed full time blower operation. I would not use the triples in a bypass situation with a blower---to be brutally honest, I would go with a Wet Four Barrel setup before killing thetriples I think.

Sell the triples to someone who iwll give you $500 for them, (like E-bay) and then use that money towards an SDS or Megasquirt. The packaging of an EFI bypass supercharger on an L is FAR easier.

There is a gent in OZ who used a bypass compressor from a toytoa on his 510, then was selling the setup later complete with the dizzy and drive off the cam he devised!

The EFI route will be far supreior in every aspect. Costs are declining forthe technology every day, and over time more and more used systems are coming on the market at unbelievablely low prices!