HybridZ

Diff arreser?

datsunlover

Ok.. I searched, and amongst all the 'LSD' and 'flange' posts, I found ONE post... but it's old and all the pics are gone, well, the link I followed is dead. It was apparetly some other way of mounting the diff using flat bar stock and two bolts.. or something.. ? Anyone remember this or have info?

I ask because I crawled under there today, and said.. "wtf is that thingy?!?" Rhe diff and suspension are the only things I have yet to touch on my car.. so here we are.. (I'm swaping in a good diff and half shafts cause mine are.. done.) I'm thinking of welding up my mount, or just building a new solid mount.. and if I do, will I heed to have that rubber strap in there? I'm thnking NO.. but thought I might ask first before I.. ah.. remove it permanently from the car.. :twisted:

EDIT: I can't even start a new thread, or reply to anything!!! This was the first post I could think of off hand (that I started), and I can edit.. but when I try to post a new message or a reply, I get a message saying 'can not post more than one message evry 30 seconds' AHHHHGH!!! I havnt' been on in over 2 hours!!! Wjhats ging on?!? Some one help please?!?

I think the mount you are refering to is one made by Jon Miwa, a.k.a. Jumbo240ez.

I have a Ron Tyler front mount and I absolutely love it. No noise or vibration transfers to the body at all. I can adjust my pinion angle to exactly where it needs to be and the diff stays where it belongs under the hardest launch. IMHO this is the best front diff mount for a hybridZ, hands down.

Ok.. can you guys sent me some pics of this setup? Or any other way of mounting the front of the diff? I want to get this sorted out in the next few weeks, cause I need to put the car back on the ground and roll it back so I have room at the front to pull/rebiuld the engine. (working in a cramped garage) Thanks guys. :)

I have a bunch of pictures of diff mounts Here

I see you've been keeping up to date there Dave and have even got my 'in development' mount in your pics :wink:

I'm currently working i on this front mount idea:

components.jpg

Concept is that it's just a simple bolt in replacement for the OEM mount but offers a more solid approach yet with compliance from poly bushes still, plus lowers the front of the diff for better drive UJ angles and it shouldn't interfere with brake cables.

Only real downsides at the moment are costs. Currently all in costs are pushing £250 (including all high tensile bolts and the bushes) but that's way to high I'm sure. However I'm looking at having the top cross bar being made up an ali casting rather than welded up mild steel and also simplifying the lower cradle by making the channel section from a single bent piece of steel rather than multiple parts welded together.

Another slight downside is that I'm based in the UK whereas America/Oz are the obvious large markets so annoying issues like shipping costs come into play. We'll see, maybe it'll just remain a little pipe dream of mine with only a few being made now and again.

Cheers,

Rob

I have a bunch of pictures of diff mounts Here

Excellent bunch of pics. Be a little careful, though. Some of the ones made from a U shaped piece of flat bar I recognize as "before" pics. What isn't shown are the "after" pics where one hard launch shredded the thin metal right at the bends.

I still think the one I like best is where the guy sawed a stock mount right thought the rubber part, then made a clamshell type arrangement so that half the isolator went above the crossmember and half went below. The two halves bolted together. I think these might be the pictures of it. IMO super simple and super clean.

Bracket2.jpg

Bracket3.jpg

Bracket1.jpg

I tapped holes in the front and back of the stock mount and bolted a metal/rubber strap under the crossmember to keep the nose of the diff from lifting. Similar to what is shown above but without cutting the mont in half. I like that one right above though. I may have to redo mine to look like that. Nice.