HybridZ

SKS or Enfield?

auxilary

russian made SKS, really nice.

also shot: enfield .303 carbine, enfield #4 mk1, mk2 in excellent condition, springfield .22 bolt action (most accurate rifle i ever fired, and it's over 80 years old!), .357 magnum, ruger 10/22 rifle (not new, owned one before just like this one), ruger .22 pistol.

That was fun. Now I'm debating whether to get and SKS or enfield? I have a downpayment on an enfield .303 #4 mk1 ($180), or I can cancel that and get a Yugo SKS for about 200-225 (california prices are always higher )

Go SKS. My dad has one and:

a) its a blast to use ( love 7.62 stuff )

B) its easy to clean

c) its reliable as hell

Not the most accurate thing in the world, but it's pretty good, even with the iron sights. Of course, I have no experience with the Enfield, so take it all as you will.

Pat

Enfield sites on the #4 mark 1 take some getting used to.... but once accustomed it can be relatively accurate. I picked off a 3" target (half an orange clay pigeon) at about 120 yards while standing... granted it took me 5 shots, but I got it :)

enfield is a heavier and larger rifle than the SKS, so it's easier to control and kickback is different. and it's bolt action.

I liked the SKS quite a bit myself, that's why I'm debating which one :)

i didnt know you were into shooting. .303 anything is a fun round to shoot in my opinion. When I get my new tactical rifle finished ill be flying out to cali to hook up with my cousin for some shooting, maybe you can come along, itl be great z cars and guns, what else could you ask for?

BTW heres the specs on the rifle

.300 win mag

McMillan McHale stock

Remington .700 action

*8 target contour barrel

Metal work finished in OD green teflon with a flat black tactical stock

Harris Bipod

havent decided on opyics, but the rifle comes with a .2 MOA guarantee :D

I've always been a big fan of the Enfields, pound for pound probably one of the most fun rifles to shoot ever made. 10 rounds in a bolt action last quite a while. The action itself is the very definition of rugged simplicity, and is smoother than nearly all modern bolt action rifles made. (I would say ALL, but I'm sure there are some european guns that are probably just as smooth, the Sako TRG-21/42 comes to mind)

The SKS is also a decent rifle, but I've always leaned more towards the AK-47 variants, which are pretty much the SKS in a more evolved and perfected configuration. See if you can find one of the newer romanian AK variants in single stack, low capacity mag configurations, I think they might be legal here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia :roll:

Mike

Guest BigWhyteDude

I would go with the SKS simply because ammo is dirt cheap and easy to get. The .303 is a little more expencive but it is around. If you really wanted to you could have it rebarreled for a .308 if you wanted. By the way the Enfields were disigned to use 2 five round stripper clips to load the weapon from the top. yeah i know the mag is removeable, i cant remember why that is right now.

Speaking of firearms, i just shot my 9X18 Makarov for the first time today. If any one is interested in an accurate, cheaply prices(but high quality) and reliable hand gun, look in to a Mak. I love this thing. Good thing is the Makarovs are made in 2 styles an 8 round single stack mag and a high cap double stack mag. (I.E. 2 different disigns) So you can buy them in Comiefornia. The one i have was bought as a Bugarian manufactured but i lucked out and was sent a Russian military Makarov. It shows some definate signs of use.

Andrew

Hey Alex I have the yugo sks and it's a nice rifle. Pretty accurate 'til I put 60 rounds through it. When it gets hot it shoots 10" hi at 100 yds. Let it cool down and it's okay again.

I'm not into guns as much anymore but when I was I outfitted my sks with detachable mags and scope/bipod, composite stock with cheek piece and muzzle compensator. I think I bought the "antique" for $185.00 and it was in great condition.

All in all it's a nice rifle.

Jon

The Enfield and the SKS are both fun. Get the Enfield now (another good reason for a reloader) and get the SKS later.

A real great find are the Swedish Mausers in 6.5 X 55 Swede. You can find them in great condition and they are fun to shoot, very accurate and a good hunting/plinking rifle. Everybody who's tried one of mine went out and bought one. Easy to shoot and nice tight groups. Lots of fun when you pull out an "old Swedish rifle" and out shoot the 300 WinMag fellow. Be sure to follow up with "Gee, I need to stop using factory ammo and load my own, that's the worst group I shot with this old piece". It leaves them mumbling for weeks.

- Joe

Oh yeah... I did buy it for her... :) And of course she WANTED it modified. :wink:

In that case SHE probably won't want to sell HER rifle.

But you can get all the stuff pretty cheap. I think I bought the mags from a place off Almaden Rd in SJ. The flash sup, er compensator, was purchased online.

You'll like the sks either way...

Jon

I've got a Russian SKS and have noticed the accuracy problems as well. When it heats up it shoots high just like the one mentioned earlier. I'd get the Enfield if you are after an accurate weapon and an SKS if you just want to throw some lead. :D I'd also seriously think about re-barreling it to .308. Much better availablility of good ammunition, that is unless you load your own.

I've also been very impressed with the Mausers I've shot. A friend of mine bought a couple Brazilian 8mm Mausers that looked pretty rough but were very very accurate. I like the smooth feel of the action and the way the safety locks the hammer rather than the trigger.

Wheelman

I have an SKS and an Enfield (in .308) and like them both but shoot the SKS more. There seems to be a lot more "stuff" available for the SKS but I have left mine alone except for a pad to lengthen the stock for my long arms.

I would like to get the sporterized stock for the Enfield sometime. The problem with the .308 Enfield is that no one makes a scope mount for it. I don't know what the difference is between the .308 and the .303 that they scope won't fit the .308?????

I got the SKS back before they were "bad" and it was only about $90. It also has the bayonet instead of the goofy spike thingy. My Enfield was about $120.

Both are pretty good for some inexpensive fun but I would go for the SKS first.

Blackpowder is also fun for plinking.