HybridZ

yet another car won't start

I've been working on my car alot lately, and when i tried to adjust the timing it didn't work afterwards- i didn't even do nethin to it- i just disconnected the battery, and then decided i wasn't gonna do it-now it won't start, i did reconect the battery, and it won't start, i swapped the coil,cap, and rotor, and it fired rite up-then later on that nite, it wouldn't-this morning i got it to run, then shut it off, and it does the same thing-wht could this b

its a ZX, so ur saying the black box next to the Dizzy cap could have just crapped out on me...

Well.. yah. :lol: It seams stupid I know, but I have personally had this happen, and know a few ppl who had similar problems. That little box basicaly controls your spark.. and a bit of timing advance IIRC.. If you were playing with the timing (turning the dizzy right?) you may have just jared a wire loose.. check the conections at the black box.. and probly the AFM just for good measure. Make sure they are clean, and the clips arn't broken/cracked. If it IS the 'black box' (sorry.. can't think of the proper name right now.. stupid beer...) I don't think you could "re-wire" it.. replacement is pretty much the only option. I'd look around for one used, or a whole distriubutor perhaps that you could swap in to test this theory...

I would also suggest checking the air gap in the distributor. If the air gap at the pick up coil has backed off, from mere time/mileage, then the engine will also give the same symtoms you are experiencing.

I'm not to up on the ZX's but I'm sure it isnt much different from the FI Z's. Check your service manual for the correct air gap and ensure your pick up coil is within those tolerances.

Kevin,

Another vote here for the black box (Ignition Module I think it is called). I had one fail very similar to yours, it would start fine, then an hour later, or whatever, nothing... Sometimes it would run fine for months, then all of a sudden it wouldn't start for days. I finally replaced it with a used one and all was well. If you can find a new one, it will probably be expensive. I would think you could replace it with an MSD-6 or something aftermarket to eliminate it completely...

Good Luck, electrical problems are frustrating at best... (especially intermittant ones)

Joshua

Guest tony78_280z

Dang........

I think that is the problem I was having with my old l28 motor back when I gave up on it and ripped it out. It would run for a little bit and die and stay dead for awhile. Then sometimes it just wouldn't start at all. Then it would. I replaced so much electrical crap and it'd run for a bit, then die. Then I would replace something else. Of course when I took it to a mechanic it'd run great for him. I got tired of it leaving me in the middle of the stop light so I tore the whole thing out and went carbed, of couse, I made a few upgrades =) Man I wish I had this website back then.

well, i replaced the coil, dizzy cap, rotor and plugs, so i kinda doubt that the air gap is off(its preset isn't it)- i new that the rotor and dizzy cap were bad cuz it idled like crap-replaced that and it idles perfect-or as close to perfect that a 23 yr old car could.

No big deal, just like 40 bux, but it was running awesome, then i called my frend over to show him that it starts, and nuthin..........damn.

How much do u guys think it would b for a new ignition module?

You have to splice into the distributor wires to run the MSD. Your problem certainly sounds like the module though. I've bought several ZX distributors with the module for $50. Despite the rash of bad modules here lately, they really are pretty bulletproof. A new module from Nissan is like $150 IIRC.

Yah, I have a spare dizzy/module for mine. (if/when it craps out on me..) But I think next year I'm just gona run my MSD box. I have an explaination/write up somewhere on how to wire it to the ZX dizzy.. it's quite simple really. That 'box' only has two wires coming into it from the pick up coil inside the dizzy. You just hook those to the MSD box, and wire the rest up acordingly (I'll see if I can dig up thos distructions..) and it should work well.. and be reliable! :)

Well I think a new MSD 6AL is going for around 4-$500.. but I picked mine up used for $120. Mine's a few years older, and has a seperat 'box' attached to it for the rev limiter. The newer MSD's have that built in I believe.. Personaly, I'd rather spend the money on an MSD.. as they are 'current' and IF they break, fixing/replacement is easier than stock 30 year old Datsun electrics.