HybridZ

After Searching. . .

I could not find this post!

Some time ago, someone posted about a supplier (not Zedd Findings) offering preformed lengths of steel frame rail mateial thicker than stock replacement rails.

I`ve seen some on ebay that are made from 16 gauge metal.

I do not have the necessary workspace, equipment, time, money, etc. to start a full blown under side framerail reconstrution (like Pete`s). I just want to tie in the rear framework with the good frame rails allready in place.

The full frame restoration will come latter down the road.

You just want to tie that last 10" or so from the end of the rail (under the floor) up to the rear subframe? Or do you want to go from the front/firewall all the way back with something thicker than stock? I have a link (I think.. have to find the link in the link somewhere..) to a convertible conversion site/co. that was basicaly square tube (1.5" .100 wall) with angled pieces at various points along it.. basicaly an 'add on' to the existing floor (goes beside the factory rail) that ties front to rear. I'd imagine any welding shop could fab/install it easily..

Thanks Al,

I`ve already talked with John at Bad Dog Parts.

He has a nice front "frame rail bar" peice but no rail rails to speak of.

You just want to tie that last 10" or so from the end of the rail (under the floor) up to the rear subframe? Or do you want to go from the front/firewall all the way back with something thicker than stock? I have a link (I think.. have to find the link in the link somewhere..) to a convertible conversion site/co. that was basicaly square tube (1.5" .100 wall) with angled pieces at various points along it.. basicaly an 'add on' to the existing floor (goes beside the factory rail) that ties front to rear. I'd imagine any welding shop could fab/install it easily..

What I want is to tie in the rear frame work section and extend it all the way up to where the frame rail starts to cruve up at the T/C box area.

Idea 1 = (using Pete`s plans) use box tubing (1x3) from the rear and lay it into (from the inside of car) the the stock frame rails already in place. (The box tubing will be half inside & half showing under the car)

Idea 2 = Do the same as above, but use some replacements frame rails.

I can not at this point is get so deep into a full frame rail replacement my other winter projects don`t get done.

I have already started some other projects and have to set some limits or this will turn into a "while I`m at project"

That`s Not Going To Happen!

Datsunlover, I would like to get that link!

To find the ones that are periodically on eBay, check "Completed" auctions, as well, to get the seller (they usually run about $60-100 plus shipping). The guy that I bought my shell from used them. They are thin; but, for a temporary 'fix'.... I did the full-blown install; but, I can see your dilemma of limited time and space.

In fact, I just went out to my garage to verify, and I still have them! I was pretty careful in removing them, as I thought I could use the metal for other 'patches' that I may need down the 'road'. I will GIVE them to you, all that you need to do is cover shipping from CA 94558. Shouldn't be too much weight, however, the box will be 'odd-sized' and shippers usually 'ding' you for that.

Doug: I spoke to John about 3 weeks ago, for rails as you describe, for my Roadster project. While they don't currently make them, he said they should be able to fabricate them. He mentioned a month or so lead time.If you haven't spoken to him recently, you may want to try again. Let me know. AL

Datsunlover, I would like to get that link!

Do a quick search. The convertible frame rails come up all the time. The guy who sells them is at (I believe) Hollywood Motorsports. Last time they came up he posted so I know they are still available. Look to be bolt in units that run along side the stock frame rails all the way from front to back.

Try searching on Hollywood motorsports, or convertible+frame and see what you get.

I cant find the link (had a computer issue here a few weeks back, lost some stuff..grr..) BUT I found a pic in my 'welding/subframe' folder of the rails I described.. in the bottom right corner, it has writing; "featured at ZParts" and I can't remember where I got it.. :? I'll try to post it up so you can see what I'm talking about..