HybridZ

5 lug, disc brake upgrade

My first reaction was to delete the post alltogether but I though this 'example' might steer more people in the right direction. (ie: read before you post, search, etc.) This is probably one of the top 3 most covered topics here on hybridz.

In the end it comes down to people being lazy asses, and wanting someone else to hand the answers to them rather than doing what amounts to a minutes worth of work. Maybe their time is so much more valuable than mine, that I should feel obligated to search for them, I don't know.

These views don't necessarily represent anyone else but myself, but this type of thing has worn out its welcome in my mind anyway.

These views don't necessarily represent anyone else but myself, but this type of thing has worn out its welcome in my mind anyway.

Although I welcome the new guys, I have since stopped answering the simple questions long ago. The answers are there...

!M!

i do agree Mat, but even today i and another forum member thats on here were out in the garage working on my Z, and ran into a common problem... (wireless internet + laptop :D) so we did a search on here and got no posts or threads.. so we searched some more and didnt find crap... sometimes i dont think it works right :(

I agree with ON3GO, I search here sometimes and I cannot find the simplest of things that I search for. Im wondering if the thing on this site that could really use an update is the search engine, make it simple and easy, it is much to compicated lol. For example which forum to search, what word or phrase your searching for, and or by poster. Though ours currently has that it seems really hard to get it right or you have to type exactly what you want as it was posted or you dont get anything. Maybe then again its just me?

See here is a perfect example, I typed in the search menu, exactly what was posted. Five lug disk brake upgrade. This is what I got in return

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : five

The search sux, it's a fact and I hate it...what we need is something like a menu (like the forum list we have but more condensed) and direct links to someones site. What I don't like about a forum is that stuff gets pushed down further and further, and even the stickies becomes a long list...is there anything that can be done???

Maybe a list of popular mods and their websites, something like,

Z32 calipers on a early Z - Stony or MikeSCCA

Adjustable rear toe - Terry Oxandale

Twin turbo V8 - Hanns

etc etc

Owen

Maybe just a new forum.. right at the top. "Popular mods + swaps" or something like that.. something only mods/admins could post in too... if someone has a swap/mod, they could PM a moderator and it could be " ok'd " before beeing added... Off the top of my head I can think of a few that I'm SURE a lot of ppl on here know all the info for..

-The turbo ZX driveline into a 1st gen chasis,

-300zx map/ecu conversion

-toyota caliper/300zx brake swap,

-links to sites that offer other brake upgrades

-coversion to 5 lug

-sectioning struts/coilovers

-zx dixxy/msd ignition upgrade

There's a lot more, but you can see what I'm talking about.. All this info IS HERE.. somewhere.. and to find it, you have to search forum after forum.. and if the info was given in a reply, it obviously get shuffled down the list... I have had issues with the search function as well... Perhaps a "please browse this forum before asking questions" under the popular mods/swaps heading would prompt people to at least look..

A lot of posts have been deleted. I have not been able to get results on things I know were there.

There is the Falconer V12 thread which had pros and cons of various V12 swaps. Some BMW 12 threads have vanished as well.

Can’t find most of the WRX rack posts.

I know the sight has to reinvent itself every once while, but the quality threads (IMO) have been deleted with the junk.

For the new guys I just cut and past a link if I have it.

As for the Christmas spirit and milk and cookies…ba humbug!

Give me single malt and cigars. This Santa has retired…at least until the grand kids come.

As for the Christmas spirit and milk and cookies…ba humbug!

Give me single malt and cigars.

I like the way you think Glenn :-D

I also have to agree on the seperate forum that only the Admins/Mods can post in to reduce all the clutter. We have talked about this some time ago, but if i remember right, nobody wanted to take the time to collect all the information needed for this to happen. We still have Jeromio's FAQ page to work from, that could be a starting point for information.

!M!

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe you guys could double-check the functionality of the search engine. I too have searched many times and received no results on that very question. Don't forget guys, nothing works perfectly every time, and you were new once too...

tolerance and a little bit of guidance can go a long way...

just wait until you start your new job and no one has patience to show you things you need or want to know....

>:-)

Hi Guys,

As a newbie to posting I thought I would add my .02 also. I've done countless searches on this site for the past 3 years. I just now and sorting out what I want to do. It took me over two years and court to get my settlement for my '72 240Z. I am telling you guys this so you know some of us out here are not whimsically posting random stupid questions. Most of the answers I have found from questions have come from recent threads as they appear, just like this one. IMHO I have experienced far better luck looking over individual's webpages that respond to these new threads than by using the search functions. It's been hit or miss on the searches and more often than not miss. Lots of questions I have are on topics I remember reading in the past and would like to revisit; upon doing a search I often come up empty.

Side note: I really have a lot of respect for Z lovers. I almost gave up on Z's altogether after getting rear-ended and having the insurance companies and lawyers nearly strip everything else away. Now 3 years later I am seeing all the passion of those that feel as I did and am trying to get back in the game. Long live the Z.

Mark

I don't think any old posts have been deleted. They just seem to get dropped from the search function. I have had to search though my old posts one by one to find posts I know exist.

Wonder if anyone has tried using Google's "search web site" feature?

BTW, I think it is pretty obvious the guy who started this thread didn't attempt a search. Generally don't believe in being rude to people but had to laugh at the response.