HybridZ

turboing a N/A 88 300zx

joe3z1988

What problems do you for see if I turboed a N/A 88 300zx. The car has the following mods

1. Port and polished heads

2. Cams (Lift(In/Ex): .435/.435. Duration(In/Ex): 280/280)

3. 2.5 exhaust

Not only the problems that I may encounter, I also need to know what parts (besides the turbo and low compression pistons (which I am not going to use) I need to keep this thing safe and running.

Are you planning on custom making exhaust manifolds? In the stock setup the turbo is mounted in the same place as the n/a engine mount. So if you want to use the stock turbo exhaust manifold then you'll have to move the engine mount. It would probably be easier to get your hands on a complete turbo donor car and take everthing. (including the crossmember)

Not only the problems that I may encounter' date=' I also need to know what parts (besides the turbo and low compression pistons (which I am not going to use) I need to keep this thing safe and running.[/quote']

Safe and running would be using turbo pistons, atleast if they are the same as L motors the turbo piustons have thicker ring lands and are more forgiving to detonation. You will need a way to increase fuel and retard timing under boost. HKS or SDS AIC and MSD boost retard would be the easiest. Do you know the overlap on your cams. "Big" N/A cams with alot of overlap can performance. More exhaust pressure than intake pressure.

• 4 years later...

Parts needed from a turbo car:

Driver side exhaust manifold, turbo, O2 housing elbow, down pipe, engine crossmember, driver side engine mount bracket(the part that bolts to the block), intake piping, ECU, injectors, oil pan(or cut a hole and weld on a fitting for turbo oil return line), turbo oil feed and return lines, and that should be about it.

I'm getting ready to do this same thing on my 88. Going to turbo the 9:1 pistons. Porting and polishing the heads now.