HybridZ

how come clutch pressure plates do not have to be balanced?

Ferd/289

Pressure plates are balanced individually so that they don't upset the balance of the rest of the engine.

Yep - and you can have them balanced - most people just don't bother, as far as I can tell.

I had my local driveshaft builder balance mine.

I know on C5 Corvette applications the clutch kit, indlucing flywheel are replaced as a unit since they are sold in kits... If not replaced as a unit, you must have the whole assembly balanced per the GM shop manual's Specs.

Mike

See this is what I am talking about. People spend lots of money banancing the internal components of the engine but the pressure plate, which may or may not be bananced, is bolted to the flywheel. I mean could this be a major item that takes the engine out of balance. I guess it would be easy to balance. Like the pendulum way to balance a wheel or tire. You know hang from a string centered in the middle of the pressure plate. I think I will somehow get mine balanced when the time comes to remove it.

Ferd

See this is what I am talking about. People spend lots of money banancing the internal components of the engine but the pressure plate' date=' which may or may not be bananced, is bolted to the flywheel. I mean could this be a major item that takes the engine out of balance. I guess it would be easy to balance. Like the pendulum way to balance a wheel or tire. You know hang from a string centered in the middle of the pressure plate. I think I will somehow get mine balanced when the time comes to remove it.

Ferd[/quote']

You missed the point. The pressure plates are balanced during manufacturing, and don't need to be balanced as an assembly with the flywheel etc. Excluding the above-mentioned kit... which sounds pretty strange to me.