HybridZ

turbo pathfinder update

GrayZee

Well after alot of swearing.. the VG30et is installed in the Pathfinder (not running, just simply mounted in the engine bay) Already it looks like I ran into a snag. Turns out that the intake manifold sits way too far rearward and interferes with the firewall. Looks like I'll either have to find a 90's Pathfinder upper intake or make a custom one.

Looks like the 90's Pathfinder intake will be the answer after all. Turns out that people swap out the restrictive z31 intake in favor of the better flowing Pathfinder/truck intake on their 300zx's. Here's the article:

http://www.z31.com/pathy.shtml

If that manifold came from a 93 Pathfinder I'm sure one like that will fit in my 87. It does look alot more compact, that's for sure!

One advantage to making a custom manifold is that I could put the throttle on the other side and simplify intercooler plumbing, but for the price of the manifold.. (about $110USD) I doubt it is worth the bother. Free would be better of course.. anybody wanna donate one? :)

Sorry Speeder, no pics yet, I keep forgeting to bring my camera to my buddies shop. Not much to see the the moment anyway, untill I finish putting the custom exhaust manifolds on it just looks like a VG30 in a Pathfinder. I managed to use the stock Pathfinder mounts (I just needed to drill/tap a few extra bolt holes in the turbo block) The block had the spot for the bolts but Nissan didn't have the courtesty to drill it for me over 20 years ago. The mounts did have bolt holes but only two out of four on the driver's side and two out of three on the passenger side. So I had to drill a total of three holes.. not bad. The only other mod I finished so far is a turbo oil drain tube in the oil pan, not that exciting. I had to extend the nozzle to reach the turbo so I made a tube from 3/4" copper plumbing pipe. To make that clear everything I had to notch the bottom of the alternator adjuster bracket a bit. Oh, one other thing was the Pathfinder starter has a heat shield around the plastic plug that connnects it to the wiring harness. The shield was interfering with the oil cooler connector near the oil filter. We took the sheild off and cut a 1/4" from it with a hacksaw. If I used the z31 starter I guess that wouldn't have been a problem but I wanted to keep as many original wires as possible.

The cost will add up quickly with that manifold. You need the manifold, distributor, mounting plate, and new plug wires for a 93 pathfinder. None of the Z31 stuff will work with that manifold.

Damn, you are right, I just re-read that website. I thought I just needed the distributor bracket, not the whole thing.. buying new wires wouldn't bother me as I should do that anyway. Anyone wanna donate a Pathfinder distributor? :)

Hey I wonder if my 87 Pathfinder distributor would work?? Somehow I doubt it :(

Heh heh.. you will want to put new plugs in BEFORE you switch to the newer maifold.. :lol: It's a BA$SATRD to change plugs through that intake (I have two 93' pickups.. uuugh...) I'll don't see why the pathy dizzy wouldn't work though.. Looks to me to be the same.. either way, could you not just bolt on your pathy valve covers? (from what I see thats the only reason the pathy dizzy isn't a 'drop in'.. ?) Cool swap man! :)

The 87 distributor may work if the plugs go in the top of the cap... the problem with the z31 setup is that the plugs enter in on the side, and if you have the pathfinder plenum there isn't any way you can plug in the leads. (with the Z31 distributor)

Pathfinder wires aren't cheap either since they are a wonky special kit, with 3 extra long boots. Somewhere around $80 for an NGK set.

I've been down this road before. ;)

Oh yeah, you might also have to change valve covers on the drivers side to get your PCV to work. That may not be necessary as an unmolested pathfinder plenum may have enough clearance.

Ok, I looked into the options and yes I would need a new distributor (my 87 Pathfinder dist. is the same as a z31) Given the extra cost I think the custom made intake is the way to go. On the upside I will be able to place the throttle on the other side for better intercooler layout.

I ran into yet another problem, I mounted the turbo today and it sits much lower in the engine bay than I thought. Turns out that it is VERY close to the steering box and the exhaust outlet will run right into the inner fenderwell. Back to the drawing board, looks like the exhaust manifold needs a couple of bends added to make it sit higher. Not a huge problem but I guess it's fun to be one of the first people to do this swap, but it's also nice to be able to learn from OTHER people's mistakes! Ha ha ha...

If you decide you need to go custom with the exhaust manifolds take a look at some minivans with the VG30 in them. The manifolds are a tubular style header, much easier to play with than the stock Z31 cast jobbies.

I can't recall off the top of my head what minivan it was, but I am sure the info is out there on z31 sites.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can also get motor mounts to install a Chevy or Ford V8 in a Pathfinder. I'm doing my friend's '94 Nissan Hardbody pickup in the nect couple weeks. I bought the mounts from Advance Adapters for $125.

If you decide you need to go custom with the exhaust manifolds take a look at some minivans with the VG30 in them. The manifolds are a tubular style header' date=' much easier to play with than the stock Z31 cast jobbies.

I can't recall off the top of my head what minivan it was, but I am sure the info is out there on z31 sites.[/quote']

I already have custom exhaust manifolds. I'll post some pics soon, they have SS lazer cut flanges with 1/8" cast SS T's and elbows connected together in a staight "log style" The z31 turbo manifold won't work in a truck unless you do many other mods including:

3" body lift

hammer out the firewall

custom left engine mount

custom alterator bracket

spacer between steering box and frame

Interesting about the minivan exhaust though, never seen those before.

You can also get motor mounts to install a Chevy or Ford V8 in a Pathfinder. I'm doing my friend's '94 Nissan Hardbody pickup in the nect couple weeks. I bought the mounts from Advance Adapters for $125.
Do those mounts relace the Nissan 2.4 or 3.0??

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Either. You bolt the adapters on and then use GM 3990914 and 25504647 motor mounts. The adapters come with all hardware. A T-5 tranny bolts up to the stock crossmember, and any auto tranny can be easily installed with a piece of square tubing or flat bar, along with a drill and some nuts and bolts.

My friend's truck had a 2.4 and he blew it up. We bought an '88 Firebird Formula for $400 and are installing the 305/th700r4 combo in the truck. It should be pretty quick, but also get good mileage.

You can also get weld-on mounts that can be positioned further forward or backward. You can get mounts for Chevy or Ford engines.

hardbody_v8.jpg

https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=1715&czuid=1104696468812

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/index.php3?page=shop/browse&category_id=6d671ddc4a20931bd740484254c1de5c&ps_session=077dde3a4bb39533773bd67c2cebc2be

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

My buddy's truck is a '94 2wd regular cab, so it's pretty light. I figure the 305 with intake/exhaust will be about 200hp, so I'm expecting the truck to run high 14's. He's never had anything faster than a 16 second vehicle, so that will be plenty fast for him. Once he gets used to the power, we can build up a 350 to swap in.

That supercharged truck above runs 10's and the guy drives it every day.

Look to the quest vans. Ford was selling them under a different name as well. mercury villeger. The motors are the same but the intakes are shaped differently. The VG30 was also bought by hyundi (i think) and used in one of their cars with a different intake.. Search the yards with your dimentions. you will find a bolt up option, i'm sure.. VG30 was a popular engine for other car makers to buy.. Nissan made a killing off of it..

Yah, I forgot about the villager/Quest vans.. May be an option. Have you looked at any older V6 maximas? They are front wheel drive layout, and may have ANOTHER style.. (I'm not sure though..) The V6 is fit in there quite tightly from what I've seen...was looking at one a few years ago.. it may even have a better flowing intake..

A mercury villager is the same as a nissan quest??? Wow, you learn something new everyday..

I found a pic of a engine bay from a van

527950_4_full.jpg

Looks like the TB faces the rear of the engine. So that won't work, I think I'll stick with the custom intake idea.

We basically just need a "air box" with a TB port that also bolts to the lower part of the stock intake. Thanks for the idea though..