HybridZ

Why do the Mustang lovers hate so much on the Z?

EZ-E

I was talking a little bit of smack today to my father-in-law about having a little fun and embarrasing a 2003 Mustang today. Well his boy was with him, and started saying there is no way that I could beat a new 2005 Mustang Cobra much less a GT.

I laughed and told him I beat the regularly at the track, and they dont mean much to me, well he chimes in with "I highly doubt it", the father-in-law, was like well they must have been a bad driver.

I went with well all Mustang drivers must be bad then. Then the son, mind you who works for Ford says, and I qoute, "the new cobra runs like 9.8 in the 1/4", I just said oooook, I seriously doubt that from 2003, numbers I know for the Cobra, which was 12.9 in the 1/4, to 3 seconds faster off of the same motor.

Now this is stock mind you as well.

So I invited him to come to the track with me anytime he wishes when I go to watch me spank some Mustangs around. hehe.

Why must they hate.

Well here is my best 1/4 to date

R/T 60ft 330 1/8 ET 1/8 MPH 1000 1/4 ET 1/4 MPH

.535 1.886 5.610 80.05 8.592 11.189 13.434 101.54

I have a 82 280ZX turbo. Now from what Ive seen and done, I beat the easily. The new GT that he says I cant beat, puts out the same numbers pretty much.

Wonder what the 05' Cobra does, Id love to be able to beat one by the time the summer is back around.

Nobody can beat the '05 Cobra. They don't have a new Cobra yet. A few of those Mustang guys are pretty crazy. I don't think they really hate on the Z, it's just that they think nothing can beat them, especially if it has fewer than eight cylinders.

Well I have seen the concept car for 05 which was the Mustang GT-R. With 440 bhp and 400ft lbs of torque thats a pretty impressive car, but I think Im with you, they find it hard to believe anything that doesnt have 8 cylinders and well is 21 years its juinor can beat it.

Just makes me laugh at theyre close mindedness

Link to the GT-R concept. http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/vehicle.aspx?carID=7926

Guest MaXbOOst

i doubt the gtr will make production........

me and my dad have a $100 bet whenever i finish my tranny that my zxt will smoke his 289 V8 64 1/2 stang @ the track , ive ridden in the car and to me , its waaay slower than the Z , nice torque , but i doubt it could beat mine....

There is no such thing as a 2005 SVT Cobra... Ford doesn't plan to even make the Lightning anymore and the only project on their books for 2006 is the Mustang Cobra GT for 2006. It will be a bad bitch...

You want to see silly? Go over to a couple of the Corvette sites... I posted my GT3 thread from here over there and within 10 minutes I had a bunch of asses telling me how wrong I was for driving that fast on a public road... It spiralled and was deleted within the hour...

Mustangs are nice and can be modified to be quite quick. I don't know why it is the younger group of owners is the way they are, but they are similar to the Ricer crowd... Sad really!

Mike

That he was talking about, he kept saying new, new, new and so on. Like you Mike, I know it can be made to go fast, of that there is no doubt. The thing is that they BOTH make me feel, one being 63 and the other 34, is that my car is a POS.

I know its not, and I cant wait to shove his mustangs in his face.

Yeah its pretty much the same attitude that Camaro drivers have too. I personally like pretty much any car just as long as you can back the talk up that your dishing out. I dont what to hear about "your buddies car, who can beat everyting" I just want to hear about your car and what it can do with the mods that it has right now! Not "the mods that your going to do..........some day!"

I really like the looks of the new Mustang. I even like the last body style too. Im not really a Ford guy but I can appretiate good designing when I see it.

And there is no way that your going to get a sub 10sec car for what a Mustang costs! Just tell him that! Or tell him to bring his 9.8sec car down to the track and if it even runs in the 10's you'll give him your car but if it doesnt he has to give you $500! LOL

Guy

Yes I see some of you get the same attitude, I mean to me my car is not really fast by no means whatsoever. I do know what I can beat though and cant, just makes me really mad to be made to feel inferior, I like the new Mustang myself and think they finally did a good job with the car.

Its just the mentality they have that really gets to me, hell I raced a Corvette at the track, being .7 seconds faster then me, still only new to the owner and bone stock, god I couldnt believe how that car could fly, especially off the line. Even the newer Camaros are pretty nice in stock config.

The Vette doing 12.9 consistent through the night, and the Camaro at 13-13.1. Those are great numbers. Only one fast mustang out that night was a supercharged Stang, at 12.8.

There was a 1998 Cobra, but it wasnt doing any better then I was. Most Ive seen and these were the 2002 up only in the high 13's with exhaust and something else one guy told me, he was pretty cool.

Most I find arent like that, others though, think the roar of that V8 makes there car fast, hmm I dont know this was just a rant I had to get out, I like all cars and give where its given, just hate to be made a fool of because of the car I love.

Hell Ive watched a 5000 lb lightning do 11.36 @ 124 now thats one fast ford and its there truck. That is simply amazing vehicle.

Anyway im off my soap box.

just makes me really mad to be made to feel inferior

If you're happy with what you've got there's no reason to feel inferior.

just hate to be made a fool of

YOU are the only person that can make a fool out of you. Don't sweat it, this will happen the rest of your life in every area of your life. It's human nature so learn to recognize it and ignore it, it's not worth your time/effort.

I was gonna say that there is no 2005 Cobra, but someone already chimed in.

I do have some tentative specs for the 07 Cobra that should be out by Spring or Fall of 06.

3 or 4 valve heads, 4.6 to 5.4L, twin screw supercharger (same as the Ford GT with a smaller pulley), IRS, big front and rear brakes, and a few other goodies. From what I've heard it should be putting out around 440 to 450HP. Now, if the trend continues from the 03/04 Cobras then it will be putting very close to that number to the wheels. My mom's put out over 390 to the wheels with just exhaust and intake and hers is an 03.

The beauty of the new Cobra, GT (not Mustang GT), and maybe Lightning motors is their over-engineering. The current Cobra will do a little over 600 to the wheels without any internal work. After that, the ring lands on the pistons don't hold up well. The Lighting is good for 450 to 500 to the wheels, and god only knows what the GT will hold up to. I've heard they are putting over 550 to the wheels, stock, and over 700 with pulley changes and a few other things.

9.8 sec 1/4 is BS and anyone with any minor knowledge knows that. I have seen a fully streetable 03 Cobra push high 8s. I do know it was pushing over 1000HP to the wheels running quite a big turbo. I believe it was X2C performance or something that built the car.

Anyway, the Z will go much faster without nearly as much horsepower.

I think the "I can beat anything" attitude comes from the fact that the Mustang is an entry level sportscar. Practically anyone with a job can afford the payments. I drove a 1980 Mustang sedan with a mild 302 transplant (was a four banger). I must admit that I had a little of the syndrome. That is what happens when people go from driving a four cylinder Honda, Mazda, Ford, whatever, to a V8. Back in HS in that same car I got smoked by a Z31 turbo. I had an excuse too. "Well, there were four people in the car, and he only had two."

I also agree that this mentality provides a lot of entertainment. Real car guys know the difference between an '03-'04 Cobra and a GT. Those that do not learn pretty quick when they get spanked by "lesser" cars.

• 1 month later...

we don't hate Z's, Just don't like gettin beat.I've got a 2000 mustang gt and a 66 mustang gt. And a 74 260z thats starting the hybred journey.Last time at the track,(cordova,Il.) My 2000 got smoked by a suburu wrx bad that hurt but I was impressed!