HybridZ

New Vs. Used Car trailers...

Mikelly

So, I'm looking into possibly replacing my trailer with an enclosed 20-24 ft. unit and I'm amazed that I can get NEW 24Ft. enclosed trailers for $6200 (With upgraded axles and 6 lug wheels), but I can't seem to find used trailers any cheaper. Any of you guys notice this???

Mike

Steel and aluminum prices have been the biggest cause for this. The used trailer market has been keeping very high re-sale prices. If I were you and you get an enclosed trailed, go for an aluminum trailer w/ them "v" in the front. They cost a little mor, but you'll never regret it and you can pull them with a 1/2 ton if needed. They pull like a dream!

I just bought a new 20' Haulmark direct from the factory, for $4950, last August. There was an auction on ebay for one, out of Ohio, but they also mentioned they could arrange one for pick-up. The place was Hill Equipment, PM or email me if you would like additional contact info, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Even though your 1500 is rated for 7500#, I would be leary about pulling with it.

Always remember, you get what you pay for. A cheap trailer is always a cheap trailer whether its new or used. Look out for trailer manufacturers that put 6 lug hubs on 5 lug axles. Check to make sure there are brakes on all 4 wheels. Pull a wheel and drum and inspect the brakes (even on a new trailer) to see if they are single shoe (yes they exist) or double shoe. Look under the trailer and see how many crossmembers are in the frame. Check the flooring. If its plywood, find out what kind of plywood and how thick. Inspect the wiring and see if its loomed its entire length and the connections are sealed from moisture.

I've been looking at new and used enclosed trailers lately and there are some new trailers out there that are very scary.

True, the my Haulmark (Thrifty-baseline model) isn't the best, but I'm happy with it. I guess there's a few other manufactures that use a full tube frame construction instead of the C channel type of most, including the Haulmarks. Mine does have 4 trailer brakes on torsion axles, rides pretty good. I believe the floor is 3/4 on 16" centers.

Yup, the Haulmark, Pace, featherlight and wellscargo models I've looked at are all 3/4inch treaded (Some cases marine grade) plywood with 16inch on center bracing, 4 wheel brakes, and all of them under $6000 have 3500# rated axles, with an average of $1000 upgrade to 5200# axles and six lug hubs. Of the three different brands I looked at, all were nice, had full loom front to rear, and seemed well made.

I'm not ready to move just yet, but I did find one in Georgia that was a Haulmark 24X8.5 for $3800. It sounds like an excellent deal on an inexpensive line trailer. Most of my towing would be within 5 hours of home, with the occassional trip to Road Atlanta, Sebring, and MAYBE a jaunt down to Barber... I could easily get by with a 20Ft. unit though...

Mike

So' date=' I'm looking into possibly replacing my trailer with an enclosed 20-24 ft. unit and I'm amazed that I can get NEW 24Ft. enclosed trailers for $6200 (With upgraded axles and 6 lug wheels), but I can't seem to find used trailers any cheaper. Any of you guys notice this???

Mike[/quote']

Try looking here: http://racingjunk.com/

There is a great selection of new & used trailers and trucks on there from around the country. Try and go with the 24' as the resale is much better. Also trailers are like closets .... never can be too big, unless you don't have the proper truck to tow it.

24' is also really as large as you should get for even a dually. I know some folks use 28' and even larger tag alongs. They also have all kinds of wind wobble and hitch problems.

Alan

ok, i'm having some real trouble here understanding why a 3/4 ton truck will pull better than a 1/2 ton truck. in many cases the only difference is slightly stiffer springs in the back of the 3/4. i'm not going to say i'm a towing expert, but the only real issues with towing are tongue weight and pulling power. so, if you load the trailer properly (avoiding a tongue weight issue) and don't overload the trailer (pulling power concerns) there is no reason that a 3/4 ton truck would pull any trailer better than a 1/2 ton. in fact the only real concern i see is not lugging the drive train while towing, in most cases taking the truck out of overdrive while in hilly terain will prevent that. as for a dually, two tires in the back just allow for more tongue weight, not really a problem if you're just dragging a z arround and using your head while doing so.

my .02

gabe

3/4 tons usually have bigger torquier engines, bigger transmissions, much larger and stronger differentials, bigger stronger frames, and bigger brakes.

1/2 tons have made a lot of progress in the brakes and engine areas in the last few years, but they are still lacking in the other areas.

Holy CRAP! THat is like 10 miles from my house... Might have to go take a look!

Yea, John told me about the Insurance claim and all that... I was amazed.

BTW, That site is really bad news... LOTS of deals on race cars and parts... REALLY BAD NEWS ALLEN!

Hahahahah!

Mike