HybridZ

why?

David K

why does everybody talk about swapping motors all the time? isnt there more to doing a swap that the motor/tranny combo? what about brakes? id rather have myself a large set of strong brakes before i do the motor. how many guys here still have stock brakes with that big ass motor? Also the suspension is a huge factor in transferring all that power to the wheels and controlling it. Kinda sick of hearing people talk about swapping that 400 hp 350 into a stock z. you know as well as i know that the z just wont handle it.

when i do my motor, i will take months of suspension and brake work before i even think of the power part.

Get off the Chevy board and into the "Drivetrain" or "Brakes Wheels and Suspension" boards. Not to mention "Exhaust" or even "Paint and Body" boards.

The need for further upgrades are well known and well talked about.

To further prevent sickness, look at the "Non-Tech" board or the "I'm telling ya" board.

i think its a given on any old car to do adress teh suspension, and to upgrade the brakes, man theres plenty of info on the brakes, i think now its more internalized and people already know what to do with the suspension and brakes because its not much different then what you would do with a stock z car, just beefier in terms of spring rate and shock i think, and theres amilliion and one brake options.

The detailed discussions of brakes, suspension and chassis upgrades is what first drew me to this board.

In my experience, the Chevy (and the Ford and other engine) forums here tend to have alot more information on general engine performance/upgrade/troubleshooting than they do about the actual swap. Way more. And especially in the early days (before we had all the instant buy-a-kit type options from people like MikeSCCA and RossC and others), the Brakes/suspension forum was easily the most active.

For my car, I did all the suspension and brake stuff first. I didn't feel that either system was adequate for even the plain ol' carbed L28 in stock form.

Well, my garage sculpture is well rounded as I addressed all that over the last decade bonk.gif , but I see newcomers come in and ask about how to do a V8 swap and usually the first thing said is buy the JTR manual, and then don't forget to address the chassis (structure), suspension and brakes.

I guess it's been a few months since the last time that scenario played out, but it happens often. Usually DavyZ, Lone, or some other old salt will step up and say that right off. Thanks guys! 2thumbs.gif

You know, the first time I read it I was wondering too.

But I read it again and I think he was just telling you where to look for that kind of info/thread - as in it's here, just not in the Chevy forum.

I'm not speaking for him, but he just called as he was leaving the office to ask if coming over tonight was still on, so I figure he might not see this post for a while and I wanted to try to say, things aren't always meant to sound the way they get typed.

Guest Anonymous

I don't think so maybe a full moon time of the month Lunar equations and so forth. You have to start somewhere. To me the ideal situation would have a running Z and do the brake and suspension modifications before the engine. That way everything is test run before hand.

I guess I, as an administrator shouldn't ask this pointed question, but have you looked in the appropriate forums??? Here is another tip... Use the Search Function in each catagory... You will come up with WEEKS worth of info.

Some times it is better to draw flies with Honey than vinegar...

nono.gif Mike Kelly

Guest Anonymous

Ya know, I sure hope we can get back to the forums being a bit less ready to get into a ruckus at any given moment than it has been in the last few days. Chill guys, we're just talking about cars here and theres no need for the attitude.

Respectfully,

Lone

Guest mtj71Z

?

what was that all about? people are talking of swaping brakes and chasis work every day on the forum.

and your kind of sick of hearing peoples swap? wtf? er...then dont read them

"why?" did you even post that.

cya,

-mike

Guest Drewz

My assumption here is that you have voiced your opinion but it seems to ........hmmmmmm what is the thing i am trying to say...... it is right for you but maybe not for others. My frame was toasted along with the floor so that was my first project. A good base to bolt everything to. That was overlooked in your statement. You see anyone can find fault with the stages other people chose to progress onto. This is a FREE site and board and I hate seeing MISUNDERSTOOD comments like yours start anything. This is probably the most valuable place I have found on the internet for what I am interested in bar none to date. A little diplomacy and tact goes a long way in my HONEST OPINION!! This is just my $0.02 worth and any comments should be emailed. S-Dan works too hard with the others to keep this ship from sinking. Lets drop some of the negativity please and settle it on the strip?? 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

I did my suspension (coilover, camber plates) before I got into the V8 thang. Then I wanted more power. The V8 install I did was the same if not lighter than the original engine. So what the heck? I've had the V8 for 5 months now and haven't run into the back of anything. I replaced the floors and added subframe connectors after the V8. Just now I'm putting in a R200 (not that I have to, just because I want to).

Build it the way, and in the order you want to. That's what I say.

jon

Guest Anonymous

Drew Z I like your slogan! I need to read something a dozen times. I have found that there are these subjects that are continually repeated but a little nugget of information appears like rubber o rings inside coil over sleeves to hold them from spinning during adjustment.

...or you can be like me: sell the rusty turd and just keep hogging more and more parts until finally, when the dust clears, a Z car (or Frankenstein) comes up out of the dust :D

Guys, it's Spring and the testosterone is rising--that must be it, or the weather... :D

Davy

Guest Drewz

T-hawk......there was a tidbit i missed out on! malebitchslap.gif I will have to remember that one for sure. Until you are on your deathbed we all will be asking questions to learn and figure things out for ourselves. I just hired a new guy today and gave him the "ask to avoid a mistake due to lack of knowledge" speech. He thought it was a great way to approach things. I ask simple questions all the time and the answers sometimes shock me. Like.....is that price canadian or american funds???? That is a real good one for me in this end of the world... flamedevil.gif