HybridZ

HELP tire hitting coilovers!

Guest V8Z

That's what I need to know, If the test fitted rims are 5.75 backspace and are hitting the coilover, would 5.5 backspace be what I need to order and then not have use the 1/4" spacer?

That's what I need to know, If the test fitted rims are 5.75 backspace and are hitting the coilover, would 5.5 backspace be what I need to order and then not have use the 1/4" spacer?

Yes. But you might want to check the full travel of the wheel before you buy your wheels. If I was you I'd go with a rolled lip and a 1/2 spacer combo to try and squeeze in a 275/40.

Isk

In your original post you mentioned that it "fits great in the fenders" and you were worried about making the tire stick out past the fender. A couple of people have mentioned getting 8" springs instead of 10" ones. It seems like a better solution than spacers and it would keep the current fit in the fenders.

I have to agree with Bartman! I encountered this situation when I installed my Ground Control coilovers. I went from 10" to 8" rear springs on the recommendation of GC. They told me this situation happens quite often when using wheels wider than 7" on early Z cars. I'm running 235-40 x 17" tires on 17"x 9" wheels in the rear and I have approximately 1/8" clearance between the wheel and the strut assy. The clearance at the outside is at its limit, meaning, if I went to a wider tire it would rub the inner fender under compression.

I tried fitting 275-40s on my Z (In the link above) and although the wheel cleared the strut assembly with the right spacer, it simply would NOT clear the fender under comression... I tested it by removing the spring with the car on jack stands, replacing the wheel/ tire with the proper backspacing (Used spacer) and then jacked up the control arm to simulate the stroke... With 3inches of strut travel, the fenderlip to top of tire clearance set at 1.5 inches, the tire had a total of TWO inches of travel before making contact with the body of the car... Under heavy acceleration, you will get a 275# coil spring to compress that much. Bottom line is even with the fender lip rolled (Mine are) it rubbed the fender inner well.

Mike

Camber plates wont help with that. They will just tilt the tire in with the strut. You don't need much clearance between the tire and the strut. 1/4" is enough. I'd just order the wheels with a little less back spacing or use slip on wheel spacers. This is all dependant on whether you have enough room on the outside to move the tire out anymore.

Alright, I think I have my plan in order. I'm going to order 17x8 rims, 5 on 4.5 lug pattern, 5.75 backspace on all four rims, and put a 5/16" spacer on the rear. This should give me a 1/4" of space between the perch and the tire. I did what MIKELLY said about removing the spring and compressing the travel out of the strut.With a mocked up 5/16" spacer It will miss the unrolled fender in the rear by 3/16", close but liveable. And like I said earlier, 5.75 backspace on the front works out great with no spacers or modifying. It will be 4 to 6 weeks to have the rims made and shipped out to me. I'm going to run Boyd Coddington Smoothie II rims, when I get them on I'll put up some pics.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=1155&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

The original problem was the tire hitting the strut. Camber plates won't help that situation because when you adjust for more negative camber the axle and the strut housing move together. The plates will lean the tire in giving greater clearance IF you dial in more negative camber, and then you have to deal with the tire wear issues and all that if it's a street car.