HybridZ

JWT ecu

Guest bastaad525

speaking only from second hand accounts, it would seem the JWT ECU does work quite well, though a few have had a lot of problems getting them installed and working right. However, for the price, most seem to agree that you'd be better off going with SDS or MegaSquirt, as you're getting WAY more tune-ability for similiar or even cheaper price = much more room to grow in the future. It would seem to me the JWT does what it's advertised to do, but there are just better options available for your money.

I agree with the advancement in standalone systems the JWT ECU upgrade is less and less attractive, although at one time it was the ish....it does do a decent job of engine management especially where the stock EFI has lost its ability to control keep up, but for me I would consider other options.

Yasin

Like the others said no room for advancement as if you were to say have a Microtech, SDS, erm Haltech used. All of those can be had for the same price as a comprable Wolf system.

Another thing to mention is once you want to do something different, ie bigger injectors, new turbo, or the like, your having to send the ecu back to wolf for reprogramming.

I believe Cody82zxt uses the wolf systum

Your right Len, I have the older JWT setup that uses the 85 computer and maf. The newer system is supposed to be better than what I have. Having said that I am very happy with the combination. It is so much better than the stock computer system! It really is like driving a different car. First off the drivability is so much better and second the power level is much improved. With this setup you are supposed to be able to run 17 psi is pump gas. In my experience I can run 15 psi on the street and much more with race gas. I have run over 20 psi on a cool night racing a really hot camaro on the way home from the drag strip. Let just say this guy was more than surprised when he got beat by my old Zcar. Also take a look at my signature and you can see that the combination can make some power. The guy I bought the computer and everything from is a member on here and ran low 12's in a light 240 Z. I talked to him a few months after he switched to SDS and he told me he still wasn't making as much power as he did with the JWT combo. Also you don't have to retune the computer everytime you make changes to your combination like you would with a map sensor based system which I believe all the others out there are. If I've tried to make it sound like I'm happy with the setup your right I am.

There are many other less expensive computers out there that given the time and tuning experince can make more power for less money. I know Scottygnz had a friend that really picked up some power after switching. If you know what your doing with tuning a SDS or other system would be the way to go. If your like me and the car has to work everyday and run right everyday than the JWT system is a great option. It works day in and day out cold, hot, raining and all that. The system works and I would recommend it to any one without the tuning knowledge or money to sit on a dyno and tune the car.

Guest bastaad525

He does have a point there :) If you're not up for learning how to tune 500 parameters on your car (blatant exaggeration) and don't have the time and money to spend hours on a dyno tuning, then the JWT is definately still a good choice... it's about as close to 'plug and play' as your going to get for alternate ECU's.

On the flipside, if you invest in your own wideband O2, dyno costs get somewhat cut out of the equation and you can do all the tuning you want/need... but I admit, when I look at all the factors that go into tuning a standalone, it looks pretty intimidating and easy to mess up. The flipside of THAT is that with systems like SDS or Megasquirt, there are already others on the board who are running these systems and can, at the least, provide with a good baseline tune to start with that will get your car running and give you a huge head start on tuning. There's already a fairly large knowledge base built up around using these two systems with turbo L28's, and probably other systems as well.

I admit, with my own fear of really getting down and dirty with a programmable standalone and all the possible problems that COULD arise (with my luck, COULD means WILL), I am and always have been interested in the JWT myself.

Cody - for your particular setup, EXACTLY what was involved with getting it installed? how hard was it to do? any major problems arise? Was it really plug and play and ran great immediately after install? You using the stock AFM still or switched to MAF? details man, details! I've talked with a guy over at JWT before... I was asking about their basic upgrade, which is you send them your stock ECU and they reprogram it for about $600, you still keep your stock injectors, AFM and such. All he told me was that the upgrade does give much better off boost driveability (way tweaked ignition advance curve) and that they tweak the fuel curve to somehow allow you to safely run 14psi of boost on the stock turbo/injectors all the way up to redline. Seems a little far fetched to me as doing the math indicates the stock injectors (270cc) are only good for about max 210hp to the rear wheels, easily achieved at 10-11psi of boost. And universally the stockers do seem to max out and run lean on the top end at anything over 10psi of boost.

Cody - for your particular setup, EXACTLY what was involved with getting it installed? how hard was it to do? any major problems arise? Was it really plug and play and ran great immediately after install? You using the stock AFM still or switched to MAF? details man, details! I've talked with a guy over at JWT before... I was asking about their basic upgrade, which is you send them your stock ECU and they reprogram it for about $600, you still keep your stock injectors, AFM and such. All he told me was that the upgrade does give much better off boost driveability (way tweaked ignition advance curve) and that they tweak the fuel curve to somehow allow you to safely run 14psi of boost on the stock turbo/injectors all the way up to redline. Seems a little far fetched to me as doing the math indicates the stock injectors (270cc) are only good for about max 210hp to the rear wheels, easily achieved at 10-11psi of boost. And universally the stockers do seem to max out and run lean on the top end at anything over 10psi of boost.

I really can't speak about the system that uses the stock 81/83 computer with the stock injectors. I've never even known anyone who has used it. No dought it's better than stock but, doesn't give you the ablility to run much boost with a upgraded turbo.

The setup I have is:

85 computer

85 maf

440cc or 420cc injectors can't remember

Other notable stuff:

3" DP and exahust

Ported exhaust manifold

T3/T4b turbo really don't know the specs. On the small side of these

HKS intercooler kit

Profec B

Lightened flywheel

87 LSD 3.7 rear. With the 17's on the car it makes the ratio the same as the 3.54

To install you have to cut one of the wires off the fuel pump relay and splice it into another on the same relay(easy to do, hard to reach). Also there are a couple of wires that have to change position on the connector to the maf. Comes with instuctions. What I did was go to the JY and get the parts to make a plug so I didn't have to cut up my connector to switch the wires around. Another one of the blue wires off the VCM has to be grounded out. The VCM goes into the trash. You now have no EGR control so you might as well block it off. You will also need to mount the maf as it does not match up to the holes the afm had. Not hard just pull off the old afm and mounting plate and redrill some holes in the right area. You might need to do some work on the rubber boost. I had already made a 3" metal pipe to connect the maf and the turbo. Take a look at my web page there are some pictures of it.

Not counting my time to make the connector and switch the injectors out the wiring takes about 30 minuites to an hour if your slow like me and like to really take your time on these kind of things. Ofcourse swapping injectors is a nasty stinky job but, your going to have to do that no matter what system you go to if you want to run bigger #'s.

One of the biggest things I can say about it is that in the two years I've been running the system I have had no computer related proublems. And don't forget I bought this system used from a guy that had had it one his race car for years. Also anyone remeber what computer system jeffp's 500 hp ZXT is running? That's right JWT. No dought Jeff has put some great equipment on the car to be able to run those kind of #'s but, that tells you that it's possible.

Honestly, for the guy that doesn't have to drive the car everyday and has some datalogging equipment, time, willing to learn how to tune or has the time to, can pay for any mistakes then a stand alone system would be nice. If the above were me then I would have done a SDS system but, it's not so I went with the JWT.

The perks of the JWT system are:

Easy to install

Works everyday

Makes 90% to 95% of the power your combo is going to make

Factory computer equipment

No tuning, do the swap get in and have fun

Negatives of the JWT as I see them

Leaves alittle power out there to be found.

Possibily price

Not as cool as saying you have a stand alone computer that you tunned yourself

Currently I'm torn about weather I like the JWT system I have, 400hp upgraded 88 na z31 ecu. Plug and play is great but I am having problems getting a smooth idle. At first I blamed it on the ecu but I'm not sure thats my problem. My system is a little shy of the hp stated by jwt. It should be putting out 350hp on 91oct and 400hp on race fuel, last dyno was 320fwhp. I would like to find more power but until talking to Bernardd did not know I could reprogram my ecu. You need about $300 bucks for the burner and another $70 if you want to erase and reburn. I'm thinking of keeping my chip from jwt and reprogrming another, that way I can put the jwt chip back in if and when I can't get it to run any better. Don't exspect to get much help from JWT after your purchase, I find there sevice to be poor to none. The original install is fairly simple and did run well off the bat.

300 dollars is a bit steep for what you really need. You can buy a brand new built and tested burner from batronix for 100 bux or so. If you buy eeproms you don't need to buy an eraser. You can also buy a laptop and use live edit to tune on the fly with a romulator. The only restrictive thing about the z31 ecu IMO is the maf. You need to change the stock maf out for a higher flow maf such as a z32 maf or Lightning maf. When I chose the z31 maf there weren't any cheap options other than SDS. It does take a bit of time to figure out the changes necessary in a Nissan ecu but to date I've got a dozen or so people tuning Nissan ecu's. It's very easy once you've got the theory understood, but that probably applies to any ecu. I would only consider MS as an option to the z31 ecu for a L28ET.

Hmmmm, So the JWT would be the best bet for a daily driver?

Thats how I feel about it.

This basic thread has come up several times in the past and each time there are guys who feels strongly on both sides of the matter.

Now that I think more about it I would try the stock Z31 computer and then see if Bernardd would reprogram it for me. Something tells me he would if you asked nicely and greased his pockets some.

I was thinking the same thing Cody.

I was also thinking about what Benardd said about doing it yourself. How hard is it really to learn how to and program your own memory chips? I was originally thinking this until I saw that "JWT sells ECUs capable of 450hp"... or they say so.

I was thinking the same thing Cody.

I was also thinking about what Benardd said about doing it yourself. How hard is it really to learn how to and program your own memory chips? I was originally thinking this until I saw that "JWT sells ECUs capable of 450hp"... or they say so.

Decide for yourself if it's hard or easy.

http://cherrypicker.tripod.com/id10.html

We should start a new thread if you have any questions.

Guest bastaad525

I've heard that as well about their customer service. Well... for me it's still currently a moot issue as I'm not gonna be upgrading ANYTHING on my Z any time in the near future. Good info though here a good thread for other people who are interested, sounds way easier to install than what I initially thought for the full setup.

im just trying to got to 300rwhp...and like everyone says once i ghet used to that..you know what happens. So i am very undecisive right now...But i am going to get a dailydriver soon so that opens up my options a little. I want something i can take to the track everynoa and again but mainly for weekend crusing.

This is a great thread. I am getting my z31ecu wired this week. Since I drive my car everyday I'm not sure a stand alone is my best option. I already have a z31 maf and rc500cc injectors. Can JWT make a program based on what I already have or would I have to buy another set of injectors and cobra maf? If bernard could program for what I have, I prefer buy his chip. If I buy all the other stuff though, I'll probably just go stand alone.