HybridZ

448 ci SB Chebby

It looks as though it has the infamous "clock" on it also, which is a trademark of cast cranks. Take a picture that shows the parting line on the crank, usually the first throw, or the rear crank flange will have it as well. If it is thin like 1/8" then it's cast if it's wide, like 5/16" then it's forged.

I love the part about"never been run"....except when I blew it up.That "13 hour knifeedged balanced steel crank" with no knifeedges ,and a casting mark, and a huge balancer.What a hoot.The block however,is a 4 bolt and judging by the pics,has been clearanced for a long stroke.Repaired it correctly would net a nice base for an extremely streetable and quite a nasty little engine combo.Big cubes mean power and torque without severe strain on components.I did not see the lifters in any of the pics,so was it truly a full roller setup? Just the components you got,even with the damage,are worth more than you paid by far.Roller rockers,roller cam,roller lifters,good heads with large valves,intake,carb etc,etc.Any refund just sweetens the deal but I would definately keep the stuff.Just my .02 cents worth

Jt1, Magnum Rockwilder: These numbers are probably off because of the crude way I measured. The bore I used a tape measureand got, 4-3/16". I just eyeballed it on a Outside only dial caliper and got 4.165. As for the stroke u just turned it over to what looked like BDC and used a peice of dowel rod, then marked it with a razorblade flat on the deck and cut it off and measured that with the dial caliper and got 3.780"

dr_hunt: The parting line on the rear of the crank and first throw is the small 1/8" line indicating it is a defenitly a cast crank{as if the clock stamp didn't give that away}.

PROJECTRB240SX: Among many other lies I was told the motor has not been sleeved. As for selling it The motor is going back to the man i bought it from. I am kinda worried about him getting the money back to me.

quicker240: It had just regular old hydraulics in it. As for keeping it for the parts, i don't want to because i was supposed to be buying a motor that was ready to run, and the guy lied and basically i wont tolerate being the schmuck that bought into his scam. So he's getting his motor back and I'm getting my money back. No gain No loss.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Most likely a stock cast 400 crank, 3.75 stroke. Does it have a hole drilled thru the front throw, the one #1 rods are on? 4.165 is probably a 30 or 40 over 400 block, I can see the steam holes in the pics, so it's either a 406 or 408.

At least you know he's a good honest guy........

Good luck getting it resolved.

Edit: He probably knew it was a 408, and just stuttered when he told you "448"...........right.....

John

I forgot one of the funniest parts, The guy I bought the motor from Dan came over to look at it tuesday because he couldn't beleive it was blown. bahaaahaa

Anyways he's lookin at it and he goes into a ramble of something like this:"" Thats a good crank, its a Callies, those sunsab*****s took my design. you go over there to callies and you look at the wall and they got my blueprints hanging there. Their making millions off me. Ya see i got the idea from the imports they use a wide {sumfin mumble mumble} so i thought i can do that and started taking measurments of the block and etc. and desighned this one. blah blah thats how all those imorts make more power than the V8's.""" I just kind of looked at him in amazement that he could be so stupid. I told him Gee I always thought they made their power from massive amounts of boost. Then he went into the same ramble.

If I had known this guy was such an UnStAbLe liar i never would have bought anything off of him

Skrich,

Don't discount his words so quickly.

There is truth in what he says. Not all imports garner their power from boost alone. Look at the Honda S2000. 240hp from a N/A 2.0L. Or look at my R1 engine. It puts out 150HP from 1.0L.

Try to imagine a 855HP/550ft.lb. 350ci running on 91 Octane in N/A form...from the factory.

There is alot that can be learned from studying Japanese engines.

awd92gsx :Gasp: how'd you figure out my secret identity

Valid point, I don't even want to touch on that subject as it leads to useless ranting in most cases. But yes I agree very respectable power to displacement ratio

But the ranting about saying it was a custom forged crank of his design, when in fact it is a stock chevy cast. "I don't care who yar thas funny right there"

Guest Figlio_del_Diavolo
Skrich' date='

Don't discount his words so quickly.

There is truth in what he says. Not all imports garner their power from boost alone. Look at the Honda S2000. 240hp from a N/A 2.0L. Or look at my R1 engine. It puts out 150HP from 1.0L.

Try to imagine a 855HP/550ft.lb. 350ci running on 91 Octane in N/A form...from the factory.

There is alot that can be learned from studying Japanese engines.[/quote']

Specific output is an engine spec upon which excessive weight is put when judging an engine IMO. A high hp/L engine is really only necessary in racing where almost every class has a displacement limit. It also has benefits in countries where there is a displacement tax, which is usually on cars with engine larger than 2.0L in displacement. The epitomy of normally aspirated engines with high specific outputs would be a Formula 1 3.0L V10 (>900bhp @ 19,000+rpm), but you could never use said engine as a street engine for a number of reasons. Now I most definitely do not discount Japanese engines (on the contrary I'm a very big fan of many of them), so I hope you do not think that is what I mean. More just pointing out that a good old small block V8 also has its benefits as well and that in trying to make a SBC act more like a F20C1 you will most surely be compromising those.

• 2 months later...

Ok I haven't seen any money back yet. The seller is avoiding all of our calls and wont return messages. So my question is how do I take this guy to court and do I stand a chance of getting my money back? The only thing I have on paper is the description of the motor from him. I paid in cash. But i do have Tim as a witness of the money paid.

http://ohiocrank.com/short.html

these guys sell a very reasonably priced 454 SBC short block assembly, for $4000 useing the far stronger and better cooling aftermarket Motown block,ETC. you can hardly build it yourself at that price

http://www.worldcastings.com/newstuff3.shtml

4.250 x 4.00

Motown block

4340 4" steel block

6.0 4340 H-beam piston

Internally balanced

World Aluminum Block add $1500

450hp/550 ft lbs should be very easy

Ok I haven't seen any money back yet. The seller is avoiding all of our calls and wont return messages. So my question is how do I take this guy to court and do I stand a chance of getting my money back? The only thing I have on paper is the description of the motor from him. I paid in cash. But i do have Tim as a witness of the money paid.

Somehow I think your SOL!!! It's a tough lesson to learn....letting your emotions stimulate a transaction without doing your homework. The guy you purchased the engine from is what I call a BOTTOM FEEDER....lowlife scum SOB. He took advantage of your youth and inexperience and your emotions pushed you into buying an engine you really wanted but ended up with a hunk-O-junk. Salvage what you can and move on. I would be quite surprised if you get your money back. Did you even get a receipt? I think you can forget about legal action....sorry!

I would have to agree with the above mentioned comments. I too think you are SOL! That said I hope I am wrong! Write it off as a lesson well learned even though an *** KICKING is what he really deserves.

Good luck, Mike