HybridZ

Front suspension project update

Looks nice, I may have to go with a similar setup myself.

Couple of questions:

1.) ar thouse koni's adjustable adn what s/r can they handle?

2.) How much were the top comaber plates, and whast the purpose of having a lower adjustable a-arm and the cmaber plate, is one better then the other?

good luck with the install ill be looking forward to seeing how it works out for you

-Austin

Guest 240zJake

Maybe he’s after that top strut mount, not necessarily for the adjustability but for that flexibility of that top joint...

or maybe greater adjustability.

Hey cyrus,

I was just questioning why you would need adjustability on the top and bottom, i thought they served the same purpose. I guess the camber plates do give you another inch of travel.

i need to have camber adjustability, but im not sure what exactly i should be looking too. I have the heim joint to make my own lower a-arms,

-Austin

When you adjust the camber at the bottom, you may have a left control arm that is 1/2" longer than the right arm. Basically by setting camber from the bottom you could make the whole car out of square.

If you set it from the top then you can adjust both sides independently and have the control arms the same length on the bottom. Much better. You can also compensate for a bent car this way too, which you really can't do from underneath alone.

One additional advantage is that you can get more neg camber with both. I wasn't able to run more than about 2 degrees neg before I got adjustable control arms. Now I'm running 3 and could be running more.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense to me now.

How much do those camber plates run?

I saw on gc's website they had them for sale but i couldnt tell what they were selling them as, ea, pair, or all four. There were 400 bucks i believe. And if thats each then damn i htink ill slot my tower or something lol.

-Austin

The weld in camber plate kits were a $100 per side. Koni struts with adjustable rebound $70 a piece. I'm using 2 1/2 x 8" long 250 lbs/inch springs. Those were let over from before so I will try them first and see what happens. I would think these Konis could handle a stronger spring but I dont know the max spring rate. Control arms $300 per side. Coilover kits $50 per side.

The reason behind all of this is get the adjustment, motion and desired ride height just not possible with stock suspension.

Here is the website... http://www.arizonazcar.com/

It cost me a ton.

And I don't have a lot of money.

My girlfriend was pissed!

I bought mine almost 10 years ago and I think I paid $135 per corner, mine are the "roadrace" version and they require cutting the top of the strut tower, and they come with the camber plate and I think they also came with the coilover stuff for that price.

They also have a street version that doesn't require cutting so it's legal for Street Prepared autoxing.

There is also the Carrera plate, the EMI plate, DP racing makes a camber plate, AZC's is a weld in plate, etc. There are some options...

I saw on gc's website they had them for sale but i couldnt tell what they were selling them as' date=' ea, pair, or all four. There were 400 bucks i believe. And if thats each then damn i htink ill slot my tower or something lol.

-Austin[/quote']

I just got my pair of the G.C. camber plates. $299 a pair. It was about a two month wait because they were out of some of the parts. They are available now though if anyboby wants them. G.C.'s type are bolt in but there is a lot of drilling and slotting. Very nice looking. They have told me that they are getting out of the Z car parts market. Just a heads up to anyone thinking of getting these in a year or two. May not be available by then.

I'm going the same route with adjustability top and bottom. I've made my own off-car adjustable lower arms with some advice from Mike Kelly and John Coffee, (thanks again guys).

I'm in the middle of the whole front suspension project right now myself. I can attest to the cost!

Thanks for the good info Dan. I have my eye on the GC camber plates but I was going to hold off. But since they may be discontinued I might have to order them sooner than later.Scumdog, that is some nice new stuff you got there! Are the chromoly LCAs usable on the street or are they recommended for track use only?

Hey Jaime. You can use these arms on the street. Some might say the caster arm will transfer more vibs into the car. I could really care less. I am after the handling performance and most of all the adjustment options. I asked Dave the owner of Arizona Zcar he said they would be just fine.