HybridZ

new type lsd?

Psykovertible

I have to agree with these guys...don't go there! You know that old saying....."If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is!!!" Shoot, during my research into LSD carriers, the least expensive unit I could find that was a real performance part was around $500.00 (US). Be aware there are various setups avilable for a LSD. Some more suited for track use while others are more suited for off-road use. Do some research before you purchase. Once you find the one to suit your needs and get it installed....your going to love it. Of course you will have to get used to the new noises that eminate from it. As my new LSD got more use, it became quieter.

I have the alternate to Phantom grip ( called Retrofit) installed in my 240 N/A and 280 Turbo.

Its very similar to phantom grip unit but has some kind of friction coating where the device contacts the gears. Sort of like a clutch disc material. I believe the Phantom grip unit doesnt have this.

The Retrofit units operate in both cars very well. Nice smooth activation, and seems to be holding the break-out force over the year that they have been installed.

I like the fact that when it rains on a lapping day I dont have huge understeer/oversteer problems on the corners. and yet when its dry the unit keeps both tires driving the power without slip.

I used to change the diffs over from open to welded depending on the weather conditions,. I'm getting to old for that now.

guess i did post in wrong area. didnt even think about it as i only read from chevy v8 section unless doing a search. sounds like crap but i will look into the retrofit. ill swap in my dana 44 with an airlocker before i spende 600 bucks on a lsd. swap will not cost much more than that and i have always dreemed of pulling a wheelie.

It is not the way to go if you want a solid rear end that will hold up and last long. The unit is like almost $300. Why not just bite the bullit and get a Precision Gear Power Brute CLSD for an R200 for $600 and have exactly what you want. Thats what im using and im sure its the way to go if you want a new, tight CLSD. All info is on my site:

http://www.magshooterz.com/R200Info.htm

Redz85, I think you are the first person I've seen who used nylocks, lock washers and locktite on the same bolts. ;) Paranoid? Hehe, just yanking your chain.

Do you know if the precision gear unit actually a rebadged nismo unit or are they making it themselves?

heh, piece of mind is a great thing! I believe that it is their own unit. It has greater breakaway torque specs and is about $150 less than the Nismo unit. I wouldnt be too surprized if it was just a modified Nismo unit though. Either way, its cheaper, tighter and rock solid...my reasons for going with it.

DO you know what the breakaway torque is on that unit? From what I recall the Nismo unit is 75ft-lbs which is just about perfect for autocrossing. (according to how to hotrod & race your datsun)

Have you driven the car much with the LSD in it? Impressions?

I almost got the precicion gear unit, it was $590 with about $40 to ship, the guy was checking availability (it would appear they do not keep them in stock but order a few at a time to satisfy demand) they guy has not called me back it's been avoer a week, so today on a whim I went to a local scrapyeard a looked for a Z31 donor just in case and I found one, and the price was much better than I expected, $200 well $212 with tax but they have to unstack the cars and take it out for me but I finally found one after a few years of looking, now I get to replace my VLSD and do the CV shaft conversion

heh, piece of mind is a great thing! I believe that it is their own unit. It has greater breakaway torque specs and is about $150 less than the Nismo unit. I wouldnt be too surprized if it was just a modified Nismo unit though. Either way, its cheaper, tighter and rock solid...my reasons for going with it.

If you got some great deal RedZ85 that's great, but I'm thinking that it might just be how you measured.

I wouldn't trust the breakaway figures from the factory at all. In my post about my shimming experience I mentioned that I had something like 15lbs after adding a .004" shim, I know Dan Baldwin has had similar luck with his, then Gordon Glasgow helped a guy shim a BRAND NEW NISMO LSD that had 10 lbs, and internally it was the same as mine, which came from a 300ZXT. I think they changed the clutch type from the smooth to the ridged, and when they did that the preload came down, the number of clutches came down, and they started using a big *** spacer on either side of the clutch stack. I can't say if they are all this way, or just some, or what.

The first time I got mine on the road was about 8 or 9 years ago and I thought about shimming it, but I tested the breakaway and it was A LOT. Of course the diff was dry, and I didn't realize how much of a difference that made. If I were to guess at the breakaway with no lube I'd say 120 lbs or so. With lube ~10. Yes, it makes that much difference.

Here is the excerpt from Gordon's site about how to properly test the breakaway:

Testing the breakaway pressure

When rebuilding one of these units, it is important to lubricate all the parts EACH TIME you reassemble it. If you don't, the breakaway reading will get higher each time you test it. This is a hassle. It means taking the whole unit apart and relubricating every disk and plate in both sides of the case. Unfortunately it is the only way I know to get consistent test results. Use the same kind of gear lube you will be using in the car. Be sure you test it "wet". I tested one dry at 225 ft/lb, then lubed it and it tested at 50 ft/lb!