HybridZ

Seats for a 240

Jolane

Hello. Okay, I have spent countless hours searching and have come to the conclusion that I will just have to ask. Sorry if this sounds redundant...

I have replaced both floor pans, put the subframe connectors in, and am ready to buy some seats so I can put some mounts in for them. I will not be reusing the stock stamped steel mounts, so I can vary the height of the seat. Therefore, thicker seats are okay, I can lower the mounting points.

I want something adjustable, with the ability to use 4/5 point harnesses. I am not putting a full cage in at this time (and may never in the future). I really like the Leather Sparco Milano's, but those are mucho dinero at ~$1600 each! On to plan B. I also like the Corbeau CR1's/A4's. I have looked at the dimensions of a number of seats trying to figure out whether the A4's would be comfortable, since a number of people have installed them in their cars (I know they fit). The dimensions, I assume, are the outside dimensions, not the seating area dimensions? How wide are the seating areas on the regular A4's? I am not really large, but on the cusp of the recommended waste measurements from what I have read (~33" - 34" waste). I measured my GF's Accord seats, my Maxima seats, and the old 240Z seats as a start. The old 240 seats are wider than all other seats, and the Maxima seats are the narrowest, but none of these have aggressive bolstering on the sides, and the backs are fairly straight up or taper in. I fit comfortably in the Maxima seats.

I have also measured the inside of the car itself, without interior. It looks to me that the best choice for a wider seat would be the CR1 over the A4 wide, since the back is narrower, and the bottom is only 1/2" wider. I measured from metal to metal 21 1/2" wide clearance between the tranny tunnel and the inner rocker panel.

So, is everyone who are using A4's using the regular version? How do they fit with what waste band, if you don't mind. How about door clearance, do you think that you could get the wide version (or the CR1's) to fit?

CR1's: http://www.corbeau.com/products/cr1/cr1.shtml#

A4's: http://www.corbeau.com/products/a4/a4.shtml#

As another point of reference I noticed a lot of people are using DAD seats. Those seem to be wider than the rest of these seats from the listings I have seen. How well do they fit relative to the doors and "passenger floor tunnel".

As for the CR1's, it appears that the bolsters are taller, and the covering maybe a little fancier, but otherwise they look very similar to the A4's. Any reason to choose one versus the other, considering I can set the height to my needs with the supports? Is the bolstering on the A4's enough on the bottom? Anybody have leather versions? What would you rate the quality of the materials and covering job? How is the lower lumber support? Anyone wish they had (if you don't already) the inflatable lumber option?

I know this is a lot of questions, and I really appreciate any and all help I may receive. I wish I could sit in some before purchase, but nobody around here seems to stock any of these types of seats (except the crap at Pepboys). Since the car is down to the shell, I can't really test fit anything without ordering them myself.

Thanks in advance!

Joshua

I bought the A4's and they fit my seat (32" waist), but my shoulders are too wide for the seats (approx. 19"). On top of that I had to bend the shoulder support in some to clear the door. I guess you could offset the seat a bit to avoid that. I believe the height would be fine without the floor supports.

Here’s the drivers side after bending for clearance.

http://www.circuitflex.com/DriversDoor.jpg

Here’s a look in the passenger window.

http://www.circuitflex.com/PassengerSideView.jpg

As I have stated in another thread, I am refininshing the stock seats. I don’t really want to cut the mounts out right now and I don’t like the way the seats fit my shoulders. My floor pans are rust free so I wont be replacing them.

Thanks DaleMX,

I came across your post in searching about you opening the seat cover up and bending the support in to clear the door. I am not sure I want to offset the seat either, but it seems like that is the best solution, and probably not noticable. You say that they fit your seat, 32", but how well? I mean do they feel tight to you, or just right, loose? I sat in some Porsche seats the other day and felt like they were a little too narrow for me, thus the concern now bout finding comfortable seats. I also share the shoulder issue, I too have wide shoulders. I assume you have the regular A4's, not the wide models. What year is your car? I have read that the earlier cars have more clearance, but am not sure where that extra clearance is.

I am not sure, but it seems like stuff is made for smaller than average guys, racing seats and the such that is. Either that, or they are made for late model stock cars...

The interesting bit though is that, even with the dimensions of the DAD seats, I don't remember seeing anyone say anything about having problems with door clearance.

Thanks Again!

Joshua

The seats are a perfect fit for my waist and dont allow much lateral movement so I would say "Just Right" Yes, the A4's are the standard model. The car is a 78. I am 5'6" tall, when I got the seats I weighed in at 170 lbs and I could get into them ok, now I'm at 155 and they fit just right at the waist.

Thanks again DaleMX,

If you don't mind me asking, about the shoulder area being too narrow, do you think that it could be related to personal height? I am not sure how these seats are designed, as in how they are supposed to fit around shoulders, but since I am 6'2", I wonder if the should area will fit better or worse. Looking at the CR1's, the back seems to be identical measurements to the A4's, just with a bigger base at the bototom, that seems like it should fit fine in my 240.

I guess maybe this is why Trucks had bench seats for so long, plus the ability to have a third passenger. Maybe I can get my suburban seat in there...maybe not!

Thanks Again,

Joshua

Scumdog,

Choosing seats, at least for me, has been very difficult. I have been reading as much as I can for the last few months about seats (when not researching TIG welders...). They are expensive enough to really warrant some research.

As for the DAD seats, I am concerned about the quality, durability, safety and fitment. I know several other members have them, and from what I have read, they fit in the car fine. The comments also suggest that the quality is good, at least initially. As for durability though, both in day to day use and in long term, I think that is still an unknown. Same with safety, although there is no guarantee with any of these seats, I would hope that the name brands are better in terms of safety, such as the mechanism failiing in a rear end or something. I also want to be able to get leather, whether I get them up front or wait for a while.

Please keep us posted on what you find out...

Joshua

One suggestion you may want to consider....if you can find a shop/store, that actually has seats on display and allow you to put your butt in them to see for sure that they are actually still comfortable after sitting in them for over 15 minutes! Don't we try on a pair of shoes before we buy and wear them?

I have Cobras in mine and a fellow club member has just put in a set of Celica GT seats that he finds very comfortable (very adjustable) and he's over 6' and I'd say 240 lbs. He can even use his helmet now without hitting the roof. His wife's car has Miata seats.

I have called a ton of 'shops' around here looking for someone who carries the seats I am interested in, and come up short. That was actualy the first thing I tried. Around here, our speed shops are more like 'I can order it' shops, and want money up front.

After looking at the dimensions, I think the CR1's will fit okay since the back is the same as the A4 (dimension wise) and the bottom is wider. I just hate to commit without knowing for sure...

Joshua

I also did that...and their aren't any reps or resellers that stock the seats in my area. Closest is in El Paso...I am not ready to drive down there just to sit in some seats. Phoenix also had two places to try, so maybe I will head out that way for something in the next month and try them out at the same time... maybe not...

BTW, Ryan at Corbeau was very helpful and good to deal with. It really is nice to talk to a someone who is knowledgeble and polite!

Thanks for everyones help and ideas! Albuquerque is just an overpopulated little town...

Joshua

On a side note, it sounds like the CR1's would be the best bet. They are wider in the seating area, but still look like they will fit fine in the car. I am suprised I found no reference to them in my searches here. Also, the backs are slightly lower, possibly helping visibility out the back... Maybe the reason is because they bottoms are thicker than the A4's, making the seating position higher with the stock seat mounts. Since I am starting over with the seat mounts, no problemo...