HybridZ

oil seeping from headgasket... questions

Guest ON3GO

okay i hope i dont have another blown headgasket, but i see oil seeping from the headgasket and i cant think of why this is happening.

what other things can cause this?

its a fresh motor, everything was milled and decked, new gasket, not running any more then stock psi (7psi) and hasnt pings or anything and running ARP head studs.

i dont get this..

plus im loosing alot of oil threw the front crank seal and i just put ANOTHER one on last night!

i just changed the oil last night in the car so i havent checked for water in the oil so ill do that next, but can anything else cause oil to come out of the headgasket area?

mike

All I can think of is maybe when you put the head on, a little piece of dirt/? got in there, and maybe just by chance it's near an oil passage between block and head.. So under presure it's getting pumped out under/over the gasket? And the front seal may be a similar issue.. if the sealing surface is mared or dirty, it might be causing the leak..

As for your crank seal leak, I've had this happen on two Z's that I've had in the past. It turns out that both dampers were cracked on the portion the seal rides on. Not really noticable unless your looking for it. Just something possibly to look for.

Aaron

As for your crank seal leak' date=' I've had this happen on two Z's that I've had in the past. It turns out that both dampers were cracked on the portion the seal rides on. Not really noticable unless your looking for it. Just something possibly to look for.

Aaron[/quote']

Ahhh... the ol cracked Z car damper ... I musta went thru 5 or so of them...:mad:

my pulley was cracked.. well more like a chunk missing out of it, but i put a 260Z pulley on there and its still leaking..

im going to be buying a euro pulley for it and etc for it.

buying a civic hatch back or a 240sx for a daily driver and going to really start going crazy on this blue Z.. rather have it be stupid fast with reliablty problems then how it is now.

mike

A tiny bit of oil seepage on the headgasket area is pretty normal. I don't mean WET, but just a little hint of oil, just enough to collect dirt about 1/8" to 1/4" down from where the head meets the block on the passenger side is normal to me. Every Z engine I've had has been like that.

Retorque the head studs if you think you have a problem.

As to the crank seals, are you using Nissan seals? I won't use anything else after my last build. The machinist told me the kit he sold came with good quality seals. I was dumb enough not to question why it was so dang hard to get the rear main onto the back of the crank, 2 months later I was replacing the rear main and the seal lip looked like it had totally run dry and burned up. It was just too tight, a poorly manufactured crappy seal... At least with the front you don't need to drop the trans back out.

Mike... cause your running synthetic, the oil particles are much smaller to help lubricate, also causes leaks. i wouldnl't be concerned about it unless your loosing like a quart a day or something drastic like that. As long as your oil is still clean and doesn't look like mayonaise (signs of water in the oil) then your all good bro.

Plus Z's are just pain in the *** like that and never work right!

• 7 months later...

sorry for bringing this back from the dead but im getting similar problems... i just recently changed my oil from regular to synthetic (rebuilt motor) and i noticed minor oil leaking down the block. Also, i have white smoke blowing out from the exhaust during a cold start... once the car is warmed up it stops... i also did the dollar trick to see if i had a bent exhaust valve.

- place dollar near muffler and if it sucks it in, you have a bent valve

im a bit worried on what it could be... the car still runs but i want to get this figured out.

Guest bastaad525

ON3GO - someone else asked this but I'm gonna ask as well, aren't you running one of the metal head gaskets? I've heard from many people that those gaskets have to be retorqued several times unlike a stock one which should only need to be retorqued once. So this may be your problem, may just need to retighten the nuts.

this is a old post.

what was wrong was it was a felpro gasket and number 6, 5 and 3 cylinders paths on the gasket ovaled out..

blew every single coolent area on the gasket... was awesome.

now im running a nismo 2mm metal headgasket.

mike

Guest 240Zdragon72

See, I thought there was a problem with those head gaskets. I'm not using it anymore. I really hate to pull the head off again, but this whole Fel-Pro thing has been eating away at me for a while. Some guys say that they had good luck with those gaskets, others say to use a NISMO or HKS metal one. I'm so confused....

i just put a felpro on my grandfather's mercury sable... now you guys got me worried. Well, hopefully it'll be started for the first time since the gasket blow today. We'll find out soon enough if that gasket is any good.

I'd assume it'll be fine, it's NA and bone stock.