HybridZ

Porsche vs. Z driving impressions...

olie05

I drove a friend's 1984 911 convertible yesterday and I was not amused. The clutch came up from the floor which was disgusting for the way you had to push it in and it had a notchy feel to it, deffinitely not smooth. I know this is more of neglect and not porsche engineering, but the shifter was extremely sloppy so finding the gears was kinda hard. There was also alot more slop in his drivetrain than in mine. Power was about the same as my z, and considering it was a 3 liter with bosch l-jet fuel injection (from what i could tell by looking at it) I was not surprised. The only thing I liked more than my car was the way it handled. It took the corners very well.

When I got back in my car it made me smile, how much more I liked it over that porsche! Anyone have similar experiences?

-Oliver

I have never driven a porsche 911, but had a ride in a 924, and on another ocasion 'test drove' a 944. (Both from the mid/late 80's) The 924 felt.. ugh.. Basicaly slopy and bumpy, but that may have been mostly the condition of the car (was NOT maintained well and needed lots of work) The 944 was actually quite nice, but I will agree on the clutch feel.. Seams to me it's a european thing, as most VW and Audis as well as BMW's I've owned/driven are similar. Not that I hated it, but it is a very difrent feel than a Z, or and Japan built car for that matter. Power was about the same (going on the 'but-o-meter' for that observation) as my 280 in the 944, definatly less in the 924. (that crapy Audi 4cyl was never BIG on power anyway..)

The hanleding was a lot better though.. Despite the 924 being rough and poorly maintained, it felt pretty stable, and more 'together' than my Z. The 944 was leaps and bounds ahead.. VERY stable in hard corners at speed, very tight, and felt very tossable. It seamed the harder I pushed it, the better it felt.. and the braking was much better than.. well, most cars I've driven! I actually uttered the phrase "I'd trade my Z straight for that.." BUT; Aside from the looks, I like the Z's simplicity and ease of maintinence, and Porsche parts are NOT cheep.. I'll keep my Z for now. :)

Several years ago I brought a RUF 930 from LA up here (Oregon) to register it for a friend. Out on I-5 between Buttonwillow, and Kettleman City I ran it out to 300 kph before I lost my nerve, My wife pointed out that when i let up on it, the nose came down. I have no idea just how fast the thin would have run, but it was rock steady as fast as I wanted to go. Two weeks later, my friend came up and got it and drove it home to LA. It was stolen shortly afterwards and the hulk was found stripped and burned. Still the finest car I ever drove.

Hmm, I happen to own a 84 911 convertible (see sig) and your description does not sound anything like mine. 911s are a different breed and you cannot draw a conclusion on just a first drive as it takes time to get used to the idiosyncracies such as the clutch pedal and shifter. However, the responsiveness of the engine, the handling and the incredible brakes should have left a strong impression from a 1st drive. BTW, 84 Carreras have a 3.2L engine with 207hp and should have crisp throttle response.

Now, my opinion might be somewhat biased since I have owned 911s for so long but sounds like your buddy's is tired or needs a good tuneup.

I agree with the others. I was a mechanic at a Porsche shop for a couple years and the only cars that drove like you describe were the ones that were neglected. I got to drive everything from 356's up to 911 Turbos with 500+ hp. The mid 80's Porsches were some of my favorites to work on. Driving wise they were good, not the best, not the worst. The most fun I ever had driving a Porsche was a 74 Carrera CS that we rebuilt the engine and trans on (engine blew probably due to the notoriously bad catalytic converter placement and it sat in a barn for over 20 years!!!) Man that was a fun car to drive, and the customer was a regular so I got to tool it around a couple times, you know, check for squeaks and stuff :wink:. And yes, the pedal placement sucks on the 911's, but you can get a special heel/toe gas pedal cover that makes it easier.

I've never driven a 911 but drove a couple of 928's and a 944. The 928 would make a wonderful car to cruise on the highway- but did not feel very quick. They had a very solid feel. Visibility was not the great.

The 944 was unimpressive, the clutch felt mushy and the car was a little dodgy. It also felt small and cramped. I'll have to reserve judgement until I can drive a better example.

Yeah, the brakes were great on this car and so was the handling. I assumed that thing about getting used to all the little things, I'm sure if I drove the car for a week I would absolutely love it, besides, I know my car has a million nuances I have become accustomed to.

-Oliver

I have driven 4 Porsches (never owned, one day), a 996 Turbo, 993 C4S, 968, and a 928GTS, but, I have owned a variety of Z's, 95 300ZXTT(422rwhp), 84 300ZXT, 72 Scarab, 73 turbo, and a well built 73.

I agree with most everyone's imressions, but I would say that they are just 2 different kind of cars, and each are great for what they are meant to do, and I have no complaints from any of the Porsches, except that they werent mine!

I have to admit though, when I got to drive the 996 turbo, I owned my 95 ZXTT at the time and it felt like a tank when I drove it home that day, which sucked, a lot!

Anyway, I am a huge Porsche fan and Z car fan, I would love to have quite a few different models of each please.