HybridZ

Insurance For your Z

Nismo280zEd

I was talkn' with my bro Mike the other night and he was telling me he only pays 47bucks for full coverage on this 280. I about hit the floor with my jaw at the low price.. I pay 182 a month for only liability on my 280 with USAA.

Mike and I are both in Houston,TX and around the same age.

My question is.. am I getting screwed or did Mike find a crazy deal?

What do you guys pay for insurance, what type of coverage, and what company do you insure your prized ride with?

-Ed

There have been several posts on this, so a search will give you some quick info.

I am insured with Farmers (4 cars and house). Agreed value coverage for $20k for $183/6 months. (full collision/comprehensive obviously)

Tim

Insurance is a scam no matter how you look at it. He may have found a great deal, but will they pay out if he needs them to? Is there a mileage restriction on heis car like for classic car insurance to get to and from shows? I probably pay too much too. But his seems like it is too little to be worth anything. Just my .02$

At one point I was paying $25 a year for my Z. State Farm gave me that rate since I had the house and 2 other vehicles on the same policy. I later found out that the $25/year only covered the car if I never took it out of the garage.

Pays to read the fine print.

The insurance basically just kept me from getting in trouble with the state's mandatory insurance nazis. You really have to look at the coverage levels.

Suprised your brother has "full coverage" on a 280. Most insurance companies don't issue standard "full coverage" if the car is over 15 years old. I don't have any experience with stated value policies, but on my 8 year old truck the difference between "full coverage" and liability is insignificant.

Insurance costs can be significantly reduced if the car is not a daily driver. They can play games with rates on one vehicle if they know they are making up the difference somewhere else. A 1 year difference in age or being married can also cut your costs by half or more. Your job/education level can also make a difference. Where you live can easily double the rates too, so don't know how meaningful rates from all over the country will be to you.

Get out the phone book and make a half dozen phone calls and you will answer your own question. In my case Gieco charges about half what any other insurance company wanted, but they are pretty restrictive in who they take. We shop around every year just to make sure we are getting the best deal.

Yeah well USAA isn't exactly the great company it's cracked up to be either. When my car caught fire over a year ago I suposedly had "full coverage" yet they refused to pay anything. Then when my father's Porsche was backed into at the gas station in Lousiana, USAA refused to fix it claiming it wasn't enough damage. I guess they haven't looked at how much a headlight costs on a 911 recently. The only way we got it fixed was to threaten the guy that backed into us with a lawsuit, suddenly Allstate coughed up the money. Bastards. So honestly in my opinion I see no point in even having insurance except that i can't drive my car unless i do. Yeah I was lookn' at hagerty since they dont' have milege restrictions, but you have to have your car stored in a locked garage, my garage is ugh... a very full workshop.

Mike said his insurance company was Hardford... but i'm thinking he might have meant Hartford.

-Ed

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

$100/mo for bare bones liability, rejecting uninsured/underinsured motorist.

It should go down soon, though. I got married and I turn 25 in 2 weeks.

My question is.. am I getting screwed or did Mike find a crazy deal?

Unless you have a bad driving record you're getting hosed. I'm 34, 1 point on my record, $21 a month for liability w/ higher med and uninsured motorist coverage. The company I go with? How's this for an ominous name - 'California Casualty.' Good luck finding a break.

Yeah well being 19 surely doesn't help my insurance premiums 20 in May. I've had two tickets, only one with my car. And both are cleared from my record, so it shoudln't affect my insurance. Ticket in the Z was for exhibition of acceleration and an unsafe lane change. I passed a bus in the rain, wasn't even speeding. Bastards. Then the other ticket i was in my g/f car, 4door honda accord, 7mph over speed limit. But like I said, did the defensive driving for the speeding and 16hr community service for the other ticket, along witha drip downtown to the city morgue to view some dead people, and a nice little video clip. But my point is I've called USAA several times to get quotes of different vehicles and i've noticed a patern, rear wheel drive are expensive and anything later then about 78 79 is about the same price to insure. The 74 911 I want is 174/month to insure yet a 94 240sx is 192/month.

Maybe I should just tell them it's not may daily driver, all i need is liability anyway, not like i'd make a claim unless I hit somebody.

-Ed

ya i ment hartford. sorry ed.

i have a clean driving record and im 21.

i now have 3 cars with them too so that helps.

the green car is insured for 25k and the blue z 10K. no mileage laws or anything.

mike