HybridZ

I don't know what to do...

Guest Cronic

This was my original post in the Ignition/Elec forum...

-----------------------

I just installed my rebuilt engine, but it wont start... I've been trying different things for the last two evenings, and nothing is working.

Im getting spark, although it looks to be weak. Im getting fuel, and the timing is setup on the crank/cam. Ignition timing, we're still playing with, cause the car wont start, we don't know where it should be. I believe the grounds are all hooked up, but Im not sure.

It sputters once or twice every few cranks.

------------------------

Now since this post I have tried everything I know of, repositioning the dizzy, turning it nearly 360 degrees to make it work, NOTHING.... this is driving me insane. Someone please help. I've checked grounds, and even regrounded the block to the neg battery term.

Im lost. Help.

Need more info man.. is it FI or carbs? Carbs, are the floats/ect set proper? FI, AFM sticking/sensor bad? What dizzy are you runing? If it's a ZX with the black box, that may be the problem; incorectly wired, or just fried (it hapens) ...this may sound stupid, but are the plug wires in the right order?

Also make sure you have a block to chassis ground. Grounding the starter to the battery/ engine is only a part of it.

If this is a FI model, also confirm that the computer is getting its feed... Hook up the power wire to it?

Mike

I grounded the block and everything, Im sure the ecu is getting power. The dizzy is giving out spark, the car will just not start up. :(

It's a 1983 280zx turbo. It's really confusing. we've double checked everything, including cam/crank timing, and ignition. I tried hooking up my MSD box to see if that would help, but even that didnt do anything. So Im lost. There are 2 gallons of fuel in the tank. The motor is def getting fuel, the plugs are slightly wet.

I guess im out of luck, and might have to hire someone to come take a look at the car, or tow it to a shop. :(

best thing to do is to pull the valve cover.. make sure the cam is set to TDC with the block (rotate the crank pulley to tdc, and then check alignment of the cam according to the service manual. I've got it on cd if you need a pfd page or two) at tdc, pull the oil pump and realign the distributor gear to a good range to tune it to.try starting it.

If you've done that.. i'll post again with a few other options. BTW, can you post the order of spark you have in the counter clockwise direction? (could have accidentally put the plugs backwards like i did 5 months ago...:) )

I agree with the others, if you are getting fuel and spark and it does not start it's most likely ignition timing related. Errors during reassembly are so so common, specially when related to cam timing, spark plug wire reconection(Even after having double checked I often enough have found a silly mistake on my part).

You can quickly get a ball park by pulling spark plug one out and then put in a long scrwdriver rod... and confirm that as you manually bring the crank to 0 timing position that the piston comes to top dend center. I would do this even if you double checked the cam/crank position.

Next remove the distributor and check and see if the rotor is at the number one spark plug position at about 0 timing on the crank. Then make absolutely sure that all spark plug cables are in the correct order.

After confirming those two then I would go back and clean and recheck all connectors specially for head temp sensor (car won't start, too rich), AFM and all connectors to ecu.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I think I have found the issue... silly me.

When setting the ignition timing to the #1 sparkplug thing on the dizzy cap, I did not have the crank at 24 BDC, only at 0. This I believe is my issue.

I hope.

Wish me luck. Im going to go fix it right now.

Thanks everyone! I hope to be at the dyno this following weekend. with 35# injectors, 2 secondary 42# injectors, and looking for 350whp @ ~21psi.