HybridZ

Beta Motorsports CF/Kevlar hood

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I can't say enough nice things about John C's Carbon Fiber hood. It is awesome quality. It is SOOO light and very strong. It is lighter and way stiffer than my fiberglass hood I WAS going to use. It arrived in great shape. The carton it was packed in was sturdy cardboard. Though it did appear the packing material was someones trash being recycled as packing material. That doesn't matter since it was all chucked into dumpster anyway. The hood was even wrapped in a felt blanket. Thanks again John.

I'll post pics later!

7964100_0126.JPG

Though it did appear the packing material was someones trash being recycled as packing material.

That's true! The guys in the shop next door rebuild used computer batteries for Apple and they have 20,000 boxes with blue foam that they just throw away. I walk next door and scrounge the stuff whenever I have to ship something 'cuz its free and I don't have to charge anyone for it.

I do have to buy rolls of bubble wrap and I did find that U-Haul sells these cheap moving blankets made from recycled lint that work great to wrap the hoods and hatches in.

Glad you liked the hood and yes, I can make more!

Jamie,

How are you mounting your new hood? I am getting to the point where I need to either strip and repair my original hood, or buy a new one. I really like the one you have. I saw that a frame is available for it (maybe you bought that too) to use the stock hinges. Any comments (or even a picture maybe) about the hinge mounting area. I assume it looks like stock? Finally, if you are using hinges, does it come ready to use the stock holddown hardware? Since I have a SBC, I will need to relocate some holddown hardware (I don't want to use pins).

I know this is just rambling, I guess, if you don't mind, I am looking for a picture of the back.

Thanks,

Joshua

We can add an OEM style inner frame so that the factory hinges and hood latch can be used. You will have to fab a couple small plates for the hood hinge mounting and drill/tap (or install inserts). We don't pre-drill the factory holes (although the places are marked) because where these holes are positioned are critical for proper fit. Every one of these 30+ year old Zs needs a lot of adjustment to get the panels to fit well.

Guest JAMIE T

My car is basically a race car that will get driven on the street. My hood is pin down only. My goal is maximum efective weight reduction. I got my hood in clear gel coat, so I can scuff it and paint it clear to let the natural CF show. If I don't like it or it looks too ricer, I can paint it the color of the car. I think it will look good with the near black hood on an orange car. It should look like the 432R's of the early '70's in race trim.

• 3 weeks later...