HybridZ

What Tranny Oil Concoction For An Old Tranny W\ Weak Syncros

slownrusty

Hi Gang - I have a 5speed with over 167,000 miles that has a 2nd gear that has to be nursed in, all other gears are perfect BTW. I am sure that if I blend some synthetic with regular 75W90 it will help...has anyone experimented with this type of concoction. Or should I run just straight Amsoil Redline Synthetic?

When the tranny is cold..it is worse.

I replaced the tranny oil a few weeks ago with brand new Valvoline Performance 75W90 and it did not really help. Luckily the old oil did not have any metal shavings suspended.

Would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks - Yasin

I did some reasearch on this about a year ago and all T-5's use ATF. Dexron Mercon III. Even after I had mine rebuilt last year the place made sure that I knew that the T-5's used ATF and not gear oil.

Cody, nwc T5s do take gear oil. Read this:

"ALL World Class T-5 use ATF oil and NOT heavy gear oil or Redline MTL! All NON-World Class T-5 use 70 wt gear oil. It is because there is no bearing under each gear and the bronze synchro rings that the NWC use the heavy 70w gear oil."

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

Guest De Schmaydee

...this has been talked/argued a lot..... i had my my T5 rebuilt and filled it up w/B&M trick shift atf.....the tranny was loud and had very "knotchy" feel to it.....after a while i had it drained and refilled w/mobile 1 synthetic gear oil... it shifts better and is quieter....just my 2¢

theres nothing thats gonna fix the tranny (that can be poured into it) no matter what anybody says...might as well get another or tear down what you've got and fix it before it goes out (you know it'll go out at the worst possible time)......roger at zbarn rebuilds them (the nissan trannys)....good guy to deal w/

......s

I'd head over to your local GM dealer and ask for some GM Syncromesh.

It does wonders for DSM's...might help out your Datsun unit also.

It is cheaper than Redline and has less instances of bearing failure while offering similiar, if not better, effects.