HybridZ

Ditch the L28ET for a LS1???

Guest ON3GO

Hey guys ran into alitte problem with my blue L28ET Z..

headgasket is blown again along with a few other new problems.

anyways at the shop i work at were building a LS1 Porsche 928S, and also starting a LS1 S2000.. now the place we are getting our motors has another one and would cut us a better deal if we get all 3 at the same time.

if i get it for the Z its gonna stay stock for awhile and im sure will be slower then how it is now.. but that can all change once i start modding it :D

now all i need is a headgasket, new oil pan, clutch, flywheel, gaskets here and there, euro pulley and i think thats it.

everything else is done to it, i mean everything!

ive been saving up money for a bigger turbo also.

the setup i have now will produce very close to 300rwhp and 400lbs of torque at the 18psi i plan on running.. with the bigger turbo 350rwhp is very reachable.

now if i just ditch the L28ET and sell everything i have ill have plenty of money for everything to have a LS1 in my car running.

what would you guys do? dont think like a chevy or nissan guy though :D

mike

Well I dont have the exact problem you do but close. I have a 260z with a good L28, webbers, 3.90 etc so not the turbo and 350RWHP you do but nothing wrong with it. I even have a complete turbo car if want it. But any way I have decided to drive it like it is fix the few small things with the motor and build a V8 and collect all the parts I need. If you have the cash to fix your z like it is and buy the v8 to build and get it ready for later I would do that.

Also how much is your turbo z motor worth now and how much is it worth after you fix it?

Also how much is your turbo z motor worth now and how much is it worth after you fix it?

all depends who wants and what they will pay for it.

it still runs fine and all but still, i dont want a half as$ motor. so i want it perfect and if i keep it ill get the parts needed to make it run 100% again.

its got only 700 miles on the new fresh rebuild..

thing is i cant build a LS1 on the side and just fix the Z as i go along with it.. no money for that or time.

i would sell my L28ET straight out and with that cash pay for the LS1 and parts needed.

im not sure what ill do yet.. if i stay L28ET i want to get things in order as we have a car show i want to attend with the Z for the shop..

if i deside to go LS1 ill just bring the integra or the S12 200sx with the SR20..

mike

Nah...he's not man enough :twisted:

this coming from a guy who ripped his V8 out of his Z and sold it.. :D

80LT1: i know plenty about LS1's and even had a 480rwhp LS1 in my garage here in houston. he was a room mate and great friend and he was on stock heads and a nice cam. with nitrous it was sick.

i just have to price this out and see if its doable.

mike

I sold an aluminum driveshaft from my LS1 to cablebandit over on LS1tech. He was telling me about his twin turbo LS1, around 750 RWHP and it sounds stock. His rear locked up and ripped the driveshaft in half. The one I've got should make around 400 RWHP easy and still get 28 to 30 mpg in 6th gear (maybe I'll find out next month!).

Only thing is, once you go LS-1, you have to hunt down a tranny for it (unless it's included), it'll take a different setup than the turbo, and if I remember correctly for the LS-1, headers/exhaust kit for it is a PITA. I'd say, you already have a turbo engine that fits in there well, it should be plenty reliable (if you put it together right :-) ), and it's very easy to do maintenance on it. However, since you already have the Hulk, I'd say it may be funner to throw in the LS-1 to experience something different (like low-end torque :wink: )

I'd say it may be funner to throw in the LS-1 to experience something different (like low-end torque :wink: )

thats pretty funny..

low end torque is what i have to much of right now.

but im still thinking about it.

the LS1 motor ill be getting (if i get it) has a T56 included.

mike

I don't know how your motor blew up this time, but if it's just a HG, I say replace that and install your microtech, cus 77 ecu was what was holding you back. Thats the cheap and easy way out, assuming theres not much more to fix on the engine other than the HG.

If you want some more downtime on your Z, (that seems to be the case with your z's... ) then go for the LS1 swap...

P.S. - either way your car is still gonna be kicking my cars butt.

-Oliver