HybridZ

E88 / F54 Combo

240Z_Master

:rolleyes: You can use the E31 on the same block. I have it now in my 240Z. So I don't see a problem with the E88 head. The flat top pistons may cause a problem with street gas. Mine is used mostly at the track, so gas is not a problem. Just the cost for it. Depending on what head gasket you use and how much metal has been removed from the head and block, it will make up your compression. If you plan on using it for the street, you may want to go to dished pistons or use a gas octane booster to bring the gas up to a level where it will not knock on you. But it can be done. Good Luck with it, Rich.

There were 4 types of E88 head. Very limited run of first E88 had the same combustion chamber as E31 head, then in 71-72 second type of E88, '73 had different shape, and the last one in 74 wich was used on 260Z, the last one had bigger exhaust valve if i remeber correctly. You can read about it on http://www.zhome.com and they have picture too.The best E88 consider 71-72.

I have E88 with N42 valves on N42 block. I like this combo, but with flattops you will have CR around 9.8:1 with no over bore and about 9.9:1 with .02 overbore. Depending on gasket this CR will be different.With FELPRO CR will be higher ( according to L series engine programm ) With dished pistons you won't have pinging problems. CR will be around 8.5:1.

In my case i run into few problems. I had junk yard E88 which was shaved before i got it, and i never bother to think about it, assuming that the had is just a slightly used.So i ended up with CR more then 10 and i faced pinging problem,on 91 octane gas which we have in LA. So i had to take head off and put two head gaskets which cured the pinging problem.After all i am happy with what i have now.

If you want to go with such combo you should think about CR first , wich one you want to have and then proceed.Also E series heads need bigger valves in order to work properly on L28 short block. Just my .02

An E88 head with f54 flat piston block would come in at 10:1. Thats premium gas right there. Whats the cheapest you can find? I know where $2.44 is, and thats the cheapest. 10:1 isnt a problem with premium at all. You can always retard the timing as well.

Some links

http://zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5097

http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/heads.html

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=331760&t=331751

http://zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333

http://zccw.org/Club/MembProfile/Franey/

http://www.zcsd.org/2003-newsletters/Oct2003/page7.html

Guest 260ondubs

Wow... I can actually make a useful contribution to this thread!

I am using that exact combination! I'll go through my details now:

Late model E88 head (no shaving) but with all new valve gear etc (custom)

F54 Block with dished pistons (unsure of origin of the pistons, but they are Nissan. We didn't get the turbo L28's here in Australia but my F54 still has dished.... unless i'm missing something.... I dunno)

1.5mm metal headgasket AND a Metal head Shim.

This is so to drop the CR to about 8.0:1

Of course, this motor is turbo.

The one thing that had to be taken into account with the build is not how it bolts up or anything like that, that was a breeze, it was the lubrication paths between the head and the block. F54 and E88 use two different methods of oil flow and the head had to be modified to acheive a result. Now, i'm no machinist, but I remember him saying something about 'helical' somethings... hehehe

The old L28 head that used to be on the motor had a more sophisticated lube system on it, but it wasn't a turbo head, nor with turbo cams and such. The E88 was more primitive, but just as effective in practice, it just caused the need for modification.

Guest jlg111286

I have a Shaved E31 with a rare "c" cam, The race cams that nissan put in some of their 74 260, on a F54 with flat tops.and i believe that with out the head being shaved , the compression combo is 10.8 to 1 so i believe im running 11 to 1. I have to use premium with lead sub to help it run well on the street! It make awsome power though and it well worth it! u shoul go for it.

I have a Shaved E31 with a rare "c" cam, The race cams that nissan put in some of their 74 260, on a F54 with flat tops.and i believe that with out the head being shaved , the compression combo is 10.8 to 1 so i believe im running 11 to 1. I have to use premium with lead sub to help it run well on the street! It make awsome power though and it well worth it! u shoul go for it.

What level is the Premium Octane in your state? I got great California 91, so I'm not sure if that's safe for me on the street

• 1 year later...

The one thing that had to be taken into account with the build is not how it bolts up or anything like that' date=' that was a breeze, it was the lubrication paths between the head and the block. F54 and E88 use two different methods of oil flow and the head had to be modified to acheive a result. Now, i'm no machinist, but I remember him saying something about 'helical' somethings... hehehe

The old L28 head that used to be on the motor had a more sophisticated lube system on it, but it wasn't a turbo head, nor with turbo cams and such. The E88 was more primitive, but just as effective in practice, it just caused the need for modification.[/quote']

Sorry to bring up a year old thread, but does anyone have any more info on the quote above? I'll be running an E88 on an F54 soon, and I'd like to know what oil system mods, if any, I need to perform.

I could be mistaken but I thought that the oil passages were the same on all of the heads... the differance was in the cam oiling. The older heads (like the E88) used an olier bar. The oiler bar works just fine unless you change out the cam. the later heads used an internally oild cam. So if you use the oiler bar then you would need to plug the cam, or you could put block off plates on the oil passages to the oiler bar and just take it off and use the internally oiled cam. I'm trying to remember this stuff from a long time ago so I could be way wrong. BTW... I have an F54/N42 engine and it runs 9.2:1 CR with a 2mm head gasket, no pinging on 91 oct, but no good for a turbo setup. :burnout: