HybridZ

Z Safety Crash Data

cygnusx1

Is there any crash data on the 240, 260, and 280Z cars and how does that data compare to a modern, similarly marketed, car. I was just wondering how safe or unsafe it is to drive (crash) an older generation Z car.

Does anyone have a source of such information? My curiosity was sparked because an old friend of mine has gotten "soft" and claims that he doesn't want to have an old sports car because of the lack of safety features that were offered in them as compared to newer cars. I know he is right, but it can't be all that risky to be in an old Z for 3-5K miles a year.

I got rear-ended by a Firebird going ~50mph, which then pushed me into a head on collision with an Acura Legend who should have been doing about 35 to my (???). The Firebird driver said she never even touched the brake, because she never saw me at all. This happened back in 92 or 93. The rear of the car was pushed in about a foot and a half, and the front was pushed up to the radiator support, and maybe 1" more. NONE of the glass broke, including the rear hatch. In fact, the tail light lenses were busted but the bulbs were still on. When the cops arrived and asked if my lights were on, I pointed at the car, and said "They still are, the turn signal is still on too." The chassis was pretty badly tweaked, and the passenger door had to be forced open, then wouldn't close anymore.

Bad part was I was only wearing the lap belt and I broke my nose on the steering wheel. We were going into a fast food drive thru and on that car I couldn't quite roll down the window with the shoulder belt on. I guess I have short arms or something. My wife hit her head on the dash because she didn't have the manual adjust 240 belt tight enough.

All in all I was impressed. The car looked like an accordion at first glance, but the more you looked at it the better it looked inside the cabin, where it mattered most. I still can't believe none of the windows broke.

I think your friend has a point, to some degree! I meam, when was the last time you checked the Air Bags, shoulder restraint, crush zone, ABS, etc., on your old Z...get my point. But hey, it's technology that's over 30 years old! Another point....these old Z cars weigh in from say 2300 to 2800 lbs! Even the smallest of the new cars today (OK there may be some exceptions)weight in at about 3000 lbs. The point being......1 1/4 tons (old Z) vs 2 to 3 ton SUVs (with women on cell phone)...who do you think will win that battle?

I quess you could always install a rollcage, 5 point harnesses and use a helmet and a Haun's device!

I know he is right...

With no data, how do you know he is right?

Because the car ads say so?

And no, it isn't obvious that all new cars are safer than old cars.

And even if they are, that doesn't automatically translate into old cars being "unsafe".

Tell your friend to grow a pair....

I don't have any spesific info, but I would assume the s30 chasis to be fairly strong (well, the 280's more so I guess..) but at this point, rusting out is the issue. Any unibody that is given enough time to rust out, is going to get weaker and weaker. (even something from the late 90's that HAS all the aditional safety items) Persnaly I think you're friend is a bit nieve (sp?) to think hs 'safer' in a newer car.. My girlfriend has a 2 door 02' grand am with ABS, traction control, and air bags, yet I'd rather be driving my Z more often than not. The Z is more reponsive, handles better, and gives more/better feedback to the driver. I think driver skill is more important as a 'safety' feature than anything else.

Personal expireance here, my 81 280zx was rearended by a dodge neon and barely bent the datsun bumper (I was just gettting going as a light turned green, and this lady wasn't paying attention coming up behind me.) but cracked/smashed the neon's bumper.. I'd say the old Z's are pretty tough.

Guest tony78_280z

Ever seen the size of them later 280z bumpers. I've been run into 3 times already (seriously, it wasn't my fault) and all three times serious cosmetic damage was done to the other car, and not a scratch to mine. Those bumperes got some kind of hyrdrolic shock absorber or sumpin.

The best safety equipment is your brain, and your cars brake and handling. Brain to know when to take it slow, and handling to dodge those idiots who don't have the brain installed yet.

A friend of mine had a offset crash with a closing speed of approximately 160km/h in his 260 2+2, after the other car went around a bend too quickly in the wet. His passenger walked away, he broke a kneecap on the dash. The other driver was seriously injured.