HybridZ

ID this front end? And opinions on flares?

boodlefoof

Hi all, I'm new here.

My name is John and I've been a fan of older Z cars for years. I have never had one though! Currently I have a 1990 TT 5 speed daily driver and a '68 Camaro project car. Well, the Camaro is almost "finished" and I've been poking around for a 240-280Z to be my next project car.

So, my first question... I've been considering doing some cosmetic work to a Z and I came across a very nice looking one on Ebay the other day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=4534370454&rd=1

Anybody know if this is a kit front end or a custom job? I think it looks pretty sharp.

On another note... my second question. I'm interested in fitting some fatter tires out back. I don't like the look of big fender flares, but rather a quarter panel that has a gradual bulge across its entire length. For example, I saw Nick's car in Sport Z magazine and think it looks great! See pics at...

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5357&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

That is the kind of rear flare I'm talking about... I recently found something similar in a kit form... it is called the "YZ" kit from Reaction Research. See pics at...

http://www.reactionresearch.com/280yzgallery.html

So, anybody have opinions on rear quarter options? Any other kits I missed? I was thinking about custom forming some with sheetmetal... but if there is a nice one that I can simply buy it would save a lot of labor!

Thanks for any help or comments.

As Dan stated, the first one on ebay is a one-off "custom." Actually it appears as if he smoothed the front end and filled all seams with the spoiler and headlight buckets. Also, he used some seriously small (motorcycle?) signal lights. A good body shop can do the same, and so can you if you like body work...

Davy

Thanks for the info guys. I figured that front piece was a one-off.

Dan, your YZ looks great! If I may ask, how difficult is it to attach the 'glass to the surrounding sheet metal? I'm not very well versed with fiberglass... I'm worried about cracks at the seam where it was attached. Also, do you happen to have a pic that is straight on from the rear so I can see precisely how wide these bulge out?

My idea for the rear fenders had been to make wooden templates and simply beat some 20 ga. to shape over it with a metal-shrinking hammer and cutting and welding at a few stress relief points if necessary. But, the YZ might be an option. I'm not sure that it might be a little too wide for my taste.

As for the front end, I suppose I could weld up the seams in the sheetmetal easily enough. Then it would just be a matter of finding or fabricating a similar air dam and attaching it.

Again, thanks! If anyone has anything else to add I'm all ears (or eyes I suppose...).

Hey Dan Juday,

I was wondering what size wheel/tire combo you were running?

I'm also curious asto how wide the front and rear track are on your car. I'm expecting to do a similar kind of widebody, and I need to know before I buy. I'm expecting to do the IRS swap, so the track info would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm trying to keep everything balanced. I'd rather not have to run 265s in the rear and 225 in the front (just as an example).

Thanks for your help

-Kenny

awd92gsx,

I like those fenders too! Very nice looking. If you find out who makes 'em (if anyone does), please post back.

sparks280zt,

Thanks for the compliment! The pearl white is my favorite for the Z32 as well. The Camaro is just about done (for now). I'm planning on building a killer early Z and then completely re-doing the Camaro. With all that I learned the first time, there are a few things I would like to do just a little differently.

Yep, with my hands too!. My wife likes rough hands (old school girl), so before our first date I went out to the garage, sanded on the fiberglass quarter, bare handed, with 36 grit sandpaper folded over so the grit was exposed on both sides, and made her a set of "perfect" hands.

That was 11 years ago and she's still my sweetie, and I her's.

well i like the YZ flares, and blue ovals... well you have to be very skilled, though for all these flares some skills or deep pockets for bodyshops are a must!

I since im a student, and broke ;) welded on z31 Flares ( 86 and up) they dont add that much 'meat' like 3 " most, but as im running 10 J rims, i did not need more, however they visually add much more! as they start to widen smoother

look at my website..

Anyway it is possible to fit a whole lot of cars flares, as long as you are skilled upto a certian level, you can make anything fit everything

.BTW i like the r32 GTR lights ;)

Wow! Great information! Thank you guys!

Blue Oval, I checked out your website and the pics are awesome! Question... how difficult is it working with fiberglass? Did you make a mold or template of the shape and then lay the fiberglass on it? Did you bond each section together (say the raised part of the quarter panel to the sail panel and tail panel) or are they attached in some other way?

I think I mentioned above that I was considering fabbing something out of sheetmetal (as I've never worked with fiberglass). But, if it is comparably difficult... perhaps 'glass is an option.

Sorry for the abundance of questions. I'm really excited with what I've seen posted back on this thread!

Hey Dan Juday' date='

I was wondering what size wheel/tire combo you were running?

I'm also curious asto how wide the front and rear track are on your car. ...

Thanks for your help

-Kenny[/quote']

265-50-15 front and 305-50-15 rear.

Backspacing is 4 1/2" front and rear.

I don't know what the track is, I'll have to measure. The front flares add about 1 1/2" to 2", the rears about 4".

Question... how difficult is it working with fiberglass? Did you make a mold or template of the shape and then lay the fiberglass on it? Did you bond each section together (say the raised part of the quarter panel to the sail panel and tail panel) or are they attached in some other way?

I think I mentioned above that I was considering fabbing something out of sheetmetal (as I've never worked with fiberglass). But, if it is comparably difficult... perhaps 'glass is an option.

It's not hard to work with as long as you've got some patience and accept that problems do pop up from time to time. Email me (not PM, that way I can reply with a Word document attachment) and I'll send you a very brief summation of what I did to lay the body out, and some other "tips" I use whenever I "glass it." The glass is attached to the steel body via pop-rivets.