HybridZ

Pre-paint shot of the 280Z-06

Savage42

Guys,

I finally go around to setting up some albums on the site with all the stuff that's going on the car and some pics of the car before paint. After seeing some of the rusted Zs around here, I consider myself lucky. The pics of the engine compartment is right when I got the car back from having it blasted. It's not primer, just bare metal. The only little bit of rust on the car was from the damn battery, and we cut that section out to put the sunken battery box in. This is pre-prep and paint, but damn solid car. It'll be painted in '02 Corvette Silver (actually called "Quicksilver") with the MSA kit all the way around and the California wing. Painted pics will be up shortly, along with more stuff. Here you go!

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=549

Love the lowered battery box. That's a really good idea.

Thanks. I can't take all the credit for that one. My buddy, John, who was a Z guy way back when I first got into 510s, started doing that setup on many Zs in this area. It has a 1" square tube frame underneath, so it's stout. He likes to drop them all the way down to the frame rail, but I wanted it up a little bit. With a nice custom cover for that corner, the battery disappears while keeping the weight fairly low and I don't lose any room in the passenger compartment. It works really well.

Gary,

Interesting - same MSA Aero II kit as my 280Z28 but with a different rear spoiler. It also looks like you're going with the window frame mount Sentra mirrors? That gives a nice look and is more aerodynamic than the door mount mirrors.

Obviously I have to love it!!

was there any problem getting the car inspected with no bumpers?

No smog or inspections in this state. Haven't heard of it being a problem for anyone else. It's the "no bumper" thing that get's ya! (at least in my experience) As long as it looks like it's got one, you are usually good. Different states or countries with different rules may apply!

Gary,

Is the paint your going to use a metallic or a pearl, and will you paint your car before or after installing the Aero kit? I would think it would be better to paint them separately, but some people think that everything needs to be installed on the car to get them to match properly (at least with certain paints).

I'm surprised to hear the aero kit lines up well, everything else I've heard talks about how poorly they fit. I guess you got lucky and got a good one:shock: .

No smog or inspections in this state. Haven't heard of it being a problem for anyone else. It's the "no bumper" thing that get's ya! (at least in my experience) As long as it looks like it's got one, you are usually good. Different states or countries with different rules may apply!

i rolled my z up for inspection with a straight pipe all the way out and no front and rear bumper or hood...

passed with flying colors!

God bless texas

Gary' date='

Is the paint your going to use a metallic or a pearl, and will you paint your car before or after installing the Aero kit? I would think it would be better to paint them separately, but some people think that everything needs to be installed on the car to get them to match properly (at least with certain paints).

I'm surprised to hear the aero kit lines up well, everything else I've heard talks about how poorly they fit. I guess you got lucky and got a good one:shock: .[/quote']

It's a metallic silver. We will be painting it underneath the bodywork like you do when you do door jams. I am mounting the bodywork and will be filling & bonding all of it to the sheetmetal, so there is no line and it looks like OEM and not just "bolted on". The rear piece fits amazingly well, while the front will take a little work, but it's just like when you put on any front spoiler, there tends to have been a little tweaking in the front to the valance, etc that moves things a little bit. It's not perfect, but well worth the effort to get rid of the "truck bumpers" that came on a 280! :D