HybridZ

#3....TT 383 Chevy 240 Z Race Video

Here is another short video where the Z turns 6.35 seconds at 116 mph in the 1/8th mile at Irwindale Raceway. My 60 ft time is 1.55 seconds and you can hear the rear tires squealing for mercy for that distance. I wonder what my time would have been if the Z had hooked at launch. My reaction time was slower because I allowed the turbos to spool up a little more before take-off.

This is through a full exhaust system with mufflers. I liked the burn-out too.:D

Hanns

http://album.hybridz.org/data/509/9455Irwindale3.wmv

Guest WHITEBOY

That car really leaves nice and smooth. 116 is a really good mph for a 6.30 run. It must really get moving in the quarter. The car looks great too.

I really appreciate all the complementary comments by everyone. It is great to read your posts because you can understand the amount of effort required to make the Z run like it does.

I just got back from Irwindale Raceway where I ran the 1/8th mile in 6.34 seconds at only 111mph. I was trying out smaller exhaust housings(turbines) for the turbos to spool up faster and make more boost and to stay ahead of Tim's anticipated 700 wheel hp.

Talk about torque, I liquified my 12 " wide Hoosier tires when I left the line at 30 lbs of boost on the gauge (as seen on the video). They didn't make as much HP as my larger housings, as indicated by the 111mph, but the torque was so unbelieveable that only Funny Car sized slicks could handle it. I'm going back to my old housings because that was just a waste of power which I'll never be able to harness in a Street Car.

The interesting thing is that my blow-through holley carb actually handled 30 psi of non-intercooled boost. I'm not sure if this would have been possible in the quarter mile.

The tech staff sent me home early again because the 6.34 run is like a high 9 second qtr mile run and I have no competition license. But I did spank a supercharged mustang and a few others along the way.:-D

Hanns

Me thinks the blowthrough carb might help him run more boost?

Yes, you are correct. Since the carb is totally sealed inside the Air-Box, the airflow from the turbos is forced through the carb and can only travel into the intake manifold/engine or out the Blow-Off-Valve when the throttle is closed. The tough part is supplying enough fuel to match the boosted airflow.

I don't have wastegates but I use my "leaky" Greddy BOV to regulate boost by either forcing boost into the BOV vent or by leaving the vent open to atmosphere. With the small turbine housings and open vent I get 30 psi. With my large turbine housings and open vent I get 15/17 psi.

As I said before, for my purposes 30 psi is too much. But I'm saving up for wastegates, :nono: :nono: just in case.

I was just wondering if having the fuel in the mix upstream of the valve so much farther than with port EFI you were getting some cooling effects. Heat of evaporation, etc. Maybe the surface area of the air box helps dissipate heat also.

If any of the above is correct and you are satisfied with the boost at something like 15psi, possibly an intercooler would not give much of a cooling effect. No sense adding complication if it's not needed for performance reasons.

Then again, if you were to race it in the 1/4, it might help to have an intercooler - or hurt if the cooler isn't big enough and just causes a heat sink effect after a 7 seconds or so of WOT under racing conditions.