HybridZ

Racing helmet suggestions

Z Driver

I'm going to invest in a racing helmet very soon. I want a full faced one because I'm doing mostly track days with a little bit of auto-X and drag. I've looked at a G-Force Pro Force 1 that is a SA2000. It seems to fit my needs. Is there anything else I should look at before purchasing this one? Does anybody have experience with this helmet?

Thanks

use a regular motorcycle helmet and make sure it has lots of vents and drive with windows down (which is required anyways).

AGV/HJC helmets are cheap and good quality for such use (i prefer higher brands for actual riding)

Can I run most tracks with a M rated helmet?

I believe M rated helmets are acceptable for solo 2 autocross, but that's about it.

Just so you can get the most use out of it as possible, my first thought is hold off as long as you can because the Snell '05 should be due, but I heard the Snell '00 rating didn't come out until something like 2002, so that kind of goes out the window. As a rule of thumb, most sanctioning bodies go back two snell ratings, so when the '05 comes out, the '95 will not be allowed, This doesn't apply to you of course buying an '00, but just an FYI. Most places do however give a year's time to replace as well. My guess would be a '95 will be legal for the next 3 years yet. On the other hand, a 10 year old helmet is not recommended either, since the adhesives and what not degrade compromising the integrity and safety of it.

Rumor I heard is that SA2005 helmets are due in June. I'd use the loaner helmets at your local autox if you can verify that the June date is true. Wait 6 months and you'll have a helmet that is good for 10 years, vs one that is good for 5.

Like I said, a 10 year old helmet is not recommended, but IMHO it's ok if it sees only occasional use, and is stored in a climate controlled environment.

For my own sake, I hope the 2005's don't come out this June, because then I'll have to buy a new helmet next year! This is kind of sucks since it was purchased in '98.

As long as the helmet is SNELL approved with date stamp of 5 years of newer, you're fine. ie. SNELL 2000 helmet would work just fine

As both jmortenson and I suggested, a snell 2000 will work fine, but if he holds off until the '05's come out, a new helmet won't be needed for 10 years.

As both jmortenson and I suggested, a snell 2000 will work fine, but if he holds off until the '05's come out, a new helmet won't be needed for 10 years.

That's exactly what I plan to do, too. I bought a helmet in Jan '95, but got a Snell 90 helmet, which isn't good for anything. A couple of months and I could have had 5 more years on it. When I was at Daytona for the Rolex, they also said this summer for the Bell Helmets, so hold off, if you can.

Borrow a MC helmet until the end of (Or at least MID) Season this year. The new SA 2005 rated helmets are coming out this year. Also, IF you are driving a car with airbags that can't be turned off, then get an open faced helmet...

I'd buy a GForce and save the money... decent price and good quality.

Mike

Borrow a MC helmet until the end of (Or at least MID) Season this year. The new SA 2005 rated helmets are coming out this year. Also' date=' IF you are driving a car with airbags that can't be turned off, then get an open faced helmet...

I'd buy a GForce and save the money... decent price and good quality.

Mike[/quote']

My bimmer guys are telling Snell '05's come out in Oct. If I go ahead and get a '00, it should be good until 2010 when the SA2010 come around, but if I wait until '05, it'll be good until 2015. I think I'm going to get a full faced because I'm going to be using it in the Datsun which has no airbags and I can pull the airbag fuse on the M3. Decisions decisions.

Thanks for the help.