HybridZ

1970 L24 engines use leaded gas right? Need to fill gas on the new car to start it.

pjo046

Maybe leaded is available at the pump in Norway.

Also, the aiport WILL sell you gas. There is no pilot's liscense needed to buy leaded, or race gas for that matter. In fact they usually have a self serve gas station where you pull your plane up to fill it. You can't pull your car up there, because filling your car with leaded and driving it on the street is illegal. But you can fill up a gas can.

Maybe leaded is available at the pump in Norway.

Also' date=' the aiport WILL sell you gas. There is no pilot's liscense needed to buy leaded, or race gas for that matter. In fact they usually have a self serve gas station where you pull your plane up to fill it. You can't pull your car up there, because filling your car with leaded and driving it on the street is illegal. But you can fill up a gas can.[/quote']

Oh yeah... didn't see the Norway part... sorry.

They will sell you avgas but for one they will get awefully suspicious, tell them you need some gas for your seaplane, they cant prevent you from buying the gas but just be on your toes. and for two, it's pretty expensive I dont remember numbers right now but its been around $3 per gallon for a while. It is also high octane, about 100, so if you dont need it, dont use it! and I wouldn't be planning on passing any inspections.

My buddy is running a 400 big block in his Bronco and all it likes is leaded gas. He was running his truck at the sand dunes a few summers back and a cop came over to check it out, avgas will stain your tank blue over time and he spotted that. Its not illegal to run it at the dunes but once you hit the street, they'll pull you over. He had to leave his truck there and come back with a trailer before the cop would let him go.

If you use 100LL avgas, mix it 50/50 with super or regular unleaded. If you use it straight for extended periods of time in a cars fuel system, it will eat seals, rubber parts, and noncoated fuel lines. Also, eventually you will foul your plugs. Just my .02

Aaron

If you use 100LL avgas, mix it 50/50 with super or regular unleaded. If you use it straight for extended periods of time in a cars fuel system, it will eat seals, rubber parts, and noncoated fuel lines. Also, eventually you will foul your plugs. Just my .02

That's exactly what I do, my high compression NA needs about 95 octane to keep from pinging. 50/50 with 91 works out just right.

It's not methonal. It won't warm anything but your O2 sensor and it will take a while to do that.

If you use 100LL avgas' date=' mix it 50/50 with super or regular unleaded. If you use it straight for extended periods of time in a cars fuel system, it will eat seals, rubber parts, and noncoated fuel lines. Also, eventually you will foul your plugs. Just my .02

Aaron[/quote']

Guest 240zJake

http://www.stp.com/fuel_lead.html

For engines that used to run leaded gasoline

• Replace lead protection in unleaded gas
  • Prevent power loss
  • Protect exhaust valve seals

Dad had to run it in his '63 Chevy pickup which has hardened valve stem seals that were designed to have additional lubrication from the lead in the gas.

I did some searching online about Av gas vs Race gas, and found that even though they are very similar, Av gas should NOT be used in any land stricken vehicle. I wish I could find the link, but it took me more than a few hours to find it last time. It has to do with the molecule chain, and how they react to different altitudes. If at all possible, find a local gas station that has 110 leaded at the pump. At least by me, in the Milwaukee metro area, there are some, but they are few and far between.

Also I've heard that 100 LL (low lead), actually has quite a bit more lead than even race gas. Many aircraft owners will use an additive to combat lead fouling.

leaded pump gas is not legal.

You're correct. It will have a label/note on it stating "for off road use only". Which I (and I'm assuming others) interpret that as, "we're covering our asses, and we don't really care what you do with it". When's the last time you heard about someone getting harrased by the law for driving with race gas on public roads?

EDIT: just another thought, driving with Av gas is not legal either.

I did some searching online about Av gas vs Race gas' date=' and found that even though they are very similar, Av gas should NOT be used in any land stricken vehicle. I wish I could find the link, but it took me more than a few hours to find it last time. It has to do with the molecule chain, and how they react to different altitudes. If at all possible, find a local gas station that has 110 leaded at the pump. At least by me, in the Milwaukee metro area, there are some, but they are few and far between.

Also I've heard that 100 LL (low lead), actually has quite a bit more lead than even race gas. Many aircraft owners will use an additive to combat lead fouling.[/quote']

It's been discussed here before. Bottom line for me is:

I've run it quite a lot, never had a problem fouling plugs, and my car seems to like it better than Tolulene or Xylene homemade octane boosters. It basically works as well in my car as cutting leaded race gas with unleaded at the pump.

AVgas doesn't have the detergents that automobile gas does, but when you mix it with automobile gas, then that takes care of most of that problem. After the last time we discussed it I decided to add a bottle of Techron when I run it again as a preventative measure.

AVgas is as clifton said, just leaded gas. AVgas also isn't quite as dense as regular gas, so your car will run leaner on it than pump gas.

Tolulene and Xylene I think are the ones that will eat your rubber lines if the concentrations get above 30% of the fuel.

It's been discussed here before. Bottom line for me is:

I've run it quite a lot' date=' never had a problem fouling plugs, and my car seems to like it better than Tolulene or Xylene homemade octane boosters. It basically works as well in my car as cutting leaded race gas with unleaded at the pump.

AVgas doesn't have the detergents that automobile gas does, but when you mix it with automobile gas, then that takes care of most of that problem. After the last time we discussed it I decided to add a bottle of Techron when I run it again as a preventative measure.

AVgas is as clifton said, just leaded gas. AVgas also isn't quite as dense as regular gas, so your car will run leaner on it than pump gas.

Tolulene and Xylene I think are the ones that will eat your rubber lines if the concentrations get above 30% of the fuel.[/quote']

I imagined it has been discussed extensively, and probalgy should have searched first. I agree, when running it 50/50, or what ever, conditions are greatly reduced.

I don't know if necessarily agree Avgas is "just leaded gas". I'm sure there are alot of chemists out there that would disagree.

To answer this poor guy's question....it depends. If you have an E31 head that has not been rebuilt (or more importantly and more specifically the valve seats have not been replaced with the hardened steel ones) then yes your car should be running leaded gas.

Where to get it you ask next...go fill up a gas can then hit your local parts store and buy a bottle of lead additive...problem solved. Now I am in the US and do not know about Norway but this is probably the easiest solution.

in lake havasu arizona they sell 100ll avgas at the pumps becuase of all the high performance boats-blown bbc chevys-last summer it was only $2.99 a gallon.cheap compared to california 91 junk for 2.65.i ran some in my merc outboard 2.5 efi motor.it ran fine.you can get the specs(grams of lead per gallon) from the supplier.the race gas i use when i run my z on a road race track is 110 octane -3.2 grams per gallon.its funny how my car gets better fuel milage on race gas.its that crappy oxiginate-alcohol-that make street gas have less milage.

Well, actually they sell leaded gas here in Norway, and it's also legal. But fewer and fewer gas stations has unleaded. But I managed to find one that had yesterday, bought a few liters of 98 octane leaded. :-)

And the car started!!!

Guest bastaad525

there are lead substitutes that you should be able to buy at any auto parts store... see them all the time around here. If the motor or head have ever been rebuilt most likely the seats have been replaced with the parts necessary to run unleaded fuel.

The low down on lead.....

Ever heard of Domascus steel? It's folded steel. Heated red hot, folded, hammered, heated, folded, hammered......add infinium. What keeps the steel from flaking and falling apart? The forging pressure of hitting red hot steel with a hammer welds the steel together.

This is what happens in cast iron heads with no hardened valve seats. The valve seats are cut into the soft cast iron. Every time the valve slams closed, it "welds" itself to the seat. The next time it opens, it takes a microscopic ammount of the seat with it. Over time, the soft cast iron seat erodes, and the valve moves up in the pocket.

This is where lead comes in. It coats everything in the combustion chamber, including the valves and seats. Lead keeps the seat from bonding to the valve, and wala! No erosion.

Any aluminim head has hardened seats installed. I read a paper from SAE a while back and more recently, an article somewhere that states the problem of seat erosion with unleaded gasoline is specific to cast iron heads where the seat is machined into the head itself. Any head that has insert seats installed (any aluminum head) is ok to run unleaded gasoline. For an insert to tolerate the machining, heat, and abuse, it has to be made of a hard material. The hardness required to withstand the above will easily tolerate unleaded gasoline.