HybridZ

new engine for swap canidate

There has been much speculation over what the price will be on the LS7 in crate format on some other forums I frequent. One individual (who works for GM) said that word around the office was that the price would be around the 15k range.

It is one killer engine though!

If you're looking for other exotic powerplant options... check these out...

http://www.brammo.com/content.php?content.16

3.5L all aluminum V8 that weighs only 340 pounds. Dual exhaust ports, supercharged, very trick! 560hp at 8000rpm and 420 # torque at 5500rpm. They'll also slap a pair of turbos on it if you like!

http://www.falconerengines.com/prod04.htm

Then there is the Falconer V 12. 600 cubic inches, only weighs 500 pounds and makes 800 horses and 780 # torque on pump gas! Oh yeah! Or get the race gas version which puts out well over 1000 horses and gobs of torque naturally aspirated.

If only I had the money.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/350%20chevy%20engine.html

you might want to look at this for ideas on a much cheaper engine build up

keep in mind its the heads,cam and displacement that are the major keys to power, and ANYONE thinking about building thier first engine really should get these books and read them before going any further, it will help a good deal, while only the basic info is presented it still makes for a good knowledge base, and referance :-D

DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR

buy these books, FIRST it will be the best money you ever spent, read them, and you will be miles ahead of the average guy. youll save thousands of dollars and thousands of hours once youve got a good basic understanding of what your trying to do!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...F8&v=glance

0912656069.01._PE30_PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=books

1557880298.01._PE30_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.gif

HOW TO BUILD THE SMALL BLOCK CHEVEROLET by LARRY ATHERTON&LARRY SCHREIB

1884089860.01._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...2699400-6836852

HOW TO BUILD MAX PERFORMANCE CHEVY SMALL BLOCKS ON A BUDGET by DAVID VIZARD

1884089348.01._PE30_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

JOHN LINGENFELTER on modifying small-block chevy engines

155788238X.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

grumpyvette,

I wholeheartedly agree.

And, I have that article burned into my memory... from the time I first read it in the magazine on the newsstand I thought it was an excellent buildup. I had always wished that they would revisit the engine and see just how it would do with more compression and a bigger cam. If it could run 11:1 on 87 octane and a short cam... I imagine 12:1 would be pretty simple. Or, think of forced induction...

To further complicate the mix...

While at VIR two weekends ago, I spoke with a source who shall not be identified, but was present the previous week when GM was at VIR WITH their new Z06 platform testing.

The new LS7 has some issues with SLINGING the crank pulley OFF the front of the motor... STILL have not resolved the issues concerning that and GM is wringing hands over it!

Might require a bit of "WAIT AND SEE" before they get my hard earned coin!

Mike

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update this thread...

I've been told that Scoggin Dickey Chevrolet has released their price on the LS7 engine complete from intake to oil pan and including exhaust manifolds... $13k. Not sure if this includes the wiring harness or computer.

There has been much speculation over what the price will be on the LS7 in crate format on some other forums I frequent. One individual (who works for GM) said that word around the office was that the price would be around the 15k range.

It is one killer engine though!

If you're looking for other exotic powerplant options... check these out...

http://www.brammo.com/content.php?content.16

3.5L all aluminum V8 that weighs only 340 pounds. Dual exhaust ports' date=' supercharged, very trick! 560hp at 8000rpm and 420 # torque at 5500rpm. They'll also slap a pair of turbos on it if you like!.[/quote']

:shock: 3.5L V16? Try getting a cylindar head gasket at the parts store for that one!

You- "Yes, I need a head gasket."

Store Clerk- "What year is your car?"

You- :toetap05:

Store Clerk- :bonk:

You- :sour:

You- :banghead:

You- :ugg:

To further complicate the mix...

While at VIR two weekends ago' date=' I spoke with a source who shall not be identified, but was present the previous week when GM was at VIR WITH their new Z06 platform testing.

The new LS7 has some issues with SLINGING the crank pulley OFF the front of the motor... STILL have not resolved the issues concerning that and GM is wringing hands over it!

Might require a bit of "WAIT AND SEE" before they get my hard earned coin!

Mike[/quote']

I think they torque to yield on the crank bolt similar to LT-1, this is a practice that was adopted for certain critical joints like pressure vessels which require insane flange loads to keep the flange from being the failure mode of a leak (this method was adopted empirically). But without torque verification, and if done by a grease monkey, it could have disastrous results.

The trouble with this method is with higher strength bolts like ARP bolts at higher than grade 8 strength, is that they are brittle to begin with and when you torque to yield your yield strength is nearly equal to the tensile strength, but in a cast crank, or even a forged crank it's ok because the yielding is being done by the threads in the crank not the bolt. However, put a high strength alloy crank against it and the bolt may very well fail just a few ksi above what you've stressed it to using torque to yield. Then you add to the equation a damper that has a different (larger) coefficient of expansion than the bolt and it expands more rapidly than the steel bolt when heated and "pop".

Newer thinking is to actually think about your torque spec and bolt choice instead of torqueing to yield, then things don't go "boom".

Let me know if I'm off base here, but I think they should hire me. :toetap05:

Guest dancaprar

i would hire you...but then again i tend to kiss *** when it comes to people who know A LOT more then me when it comes to automotive type things.....come to think of it THATS why my upper lip has been stinkn for so long.