HybridZ

Radiators in general

Guest Carolina Z

Guest Carolina Z

Going to replace the original 77 radiator as it has developed a very small leak and instead of having it repaired I am looking at spending an additional 130.00 to have a new one installed.

Question: Any suggestions on a good brand to replace the orig stock one with

The guy who is doing the work and only due to having too many dogs and cats around the house to worry about an antifreeze spill has one in mind but I dont have any idea as to the brand name or what .

I dont race this Z but also dont drive under 75-80 on the interstate so I do need something or do I , that is possibly a little more durable than the stock one that has lasted 28 years.

Any suggestions.

Carolina Z

Unless you have had problems with overheating in the past I would just have yours repaired and cleaned out (rodded) by a good radiator shop. However, if you need better cooling then JTR (Jags that Run) does sell a replacement radiator that will bolt in your Z using their radiator mount. I think that you can download a copy of the cooling section now at their web site and it shows them putting the radiator in a Z with an inline 6. Motorsport Auto http://www.modern-motorsports.com also sells a beefed up radiator if I'm not mistaken.

I run a racing AL radiator, and I actually have a problem keepn it warm on the highway when it's cold outside. especially if it's raining. say good bye heater till you get to a stoplight and warm it up a lil. Just FYI... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

if you feel the necessity for more cooling go with a 4 core from MSA

If you feel the need to go AL though, PM I'll give you the part number of the radiator i used. from Don Francis racing.

-Ed

I ran the stock radiator in my 77 for about 11 years and never had an overheating problem. That was in Texas in the summer in stop-n-go traffic with the AC on full bore. I wouldn't spend the extra money unless you are planning on some serious engine modifications in the near future.

Sounds like a thermostat problem.

I run a racing AL radiator' date=' and I actually have a problem keepn it warm on the highway when it's cold outside. especially if it's raining. say good bye heater till you get to a stoplight and warm it up a lil. Just FYI... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you feel the need to go AL though, PM I'll give you the part number of the radiator i used. from Don Francis racing.

-Ed[/quote']

I run a racing AL radiator' date=' and I actually have a problem keepn it warm on the highway when it's cold outside. especially if it's raining. say good bye heater till you get to a stoplight and warm it up a lil. Just FYI... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

-Ed[/quote']

Do you mean Ron Davis Racing???

http://www.rondavisradiators.com

lol yeah it was late...

I run a Ron Davis Racing Radiator.

I suspected a thermostat problem too... but if it were the thermostat not opening it would overheat and not cool at all on the highway. About 40mph and over I don't even run my cooling fans. Right now it has a 160deg thermostat in it (suposedly) but i tested it in my kitchen it fully opens at 180. But I'm starting to wonder if It's just my temp gauge giving a false reading from some threads I've seen on here. I'm also about to flush it out and run Redline Water Wetter in it with some distilled water.

I think the problem is mainly due to my fans. I run two 12" cooling fans with the most CFM I could find on each. together they draw something like 3200 cfm If I remember right. but I think a nice fiberglass shroud around more of the radiator would give better results in stop and go traffic.

-Ed