HybridZ

I think it's called progress

MTenneZ

Guest tony78_280z

Good work, did you cut and fit your own pieces or use an aftermarket? If you cut your own,.. any words of advice for those of us who might tackle this in the (distant) future?

Guest 305240

Man-o-man! You actually tackeled that job? I'm a body man and that one looks like a parts car to me. Are all the Z's out that way like that? Out here in southern Oregon, we cut up Z cars for parts cars in 300% better shape than that. I'm not knocking your work. In fact I have to admire you for what you have acomplished. Nice work. Good luck on the rest of the car.

My 72 started out life as a cut up, stripped out parts car. I can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel tho. I just keep picking up more parts cars and adding to my collection of parts. Most of the parts cars around here are free for just hauling them off. As Bartman from Calif said: almost of the Z cars we have are pretty much rust free. Heck, I have a 260, with a weekends worth of work, you could drive it home for 400 bux.

Still, I have to admire you.

Man, Progress is an understatment! :) There's alot of holes in your car! :) Or were. Looks like you did the same thing with your frame rails and floors as me, tieing in the floors instead of just one pc all the way across. Keep up the good work! Hopefully I will be able to get back to work on mine soon, you inspired me! :)

Thanks for the support guys. If not for this site I would have never gotten this far. And as far as it is that is not even half way...I have the drivers side to do. But having done it once before it should be easier, I think. As for the pieces I had to form them all, and any advice: Measure 5 times cut 1 time.

Man-o-man! You actually tackeled that job? I'm a body man and that one looks like a parts car to me. Are all the Z's out that way like that?

Actually no all the Z's here are not that bad...they're worse. I knew from the start that it had lots of rust but little did I know.

Very nice work so far, I wish I had welding and fabrication skills like that. Keep up the good work.

It's a good thing the pictures are not up close, because you might not say that :)

When I took the picture of the seat in the car the floor was fully welded in, at least the top side was. The floor pans are 18ga, it is about the thinnest you would likely want to use for the floor.

And about the "on the road in no time"...um yea :). Truthfully though it is great motivation to stay on it.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

Guest Jayru

God, that's a lot of rot. I sometimes worry about the little surface rust i have, thanks for making me feel amazing about the condition of my Z.

All jokes aside, keep up the good work. Was this your first try with a welder? Did you teach yourself? What type did you use? I need to buy a welder and learn myself.

Where did you get the rocker from? How's the fit?

Victoria British, and the fit is good. It needed a little trimming off the top and bottom flanges but other then that it's alright. Now I need to find a passenger rear quarter panel (hint, hint anyone;))

Hi,

Saw your pics of the rocker install. Nice work.

I have had to do 3 z's in the same manner. Just a word of caution. The aftermarket rockers sometimes dont seem to sit quite right W.R.T. the door skin.

It seems the rocker sometimes sits inwards a bit, so then the surface f the door skin looks to sit proud of the rocker.

Double check the rocker postion before final welding. If you find the rocker doesnt sit at the same level as the door skin you may have to "Caress" the inner rocker panel to move the rocker outwards.

Also do a check with the the door rubber in place when you trial fit. The door rubber can throw the fit off.

http://www.execulink.com/~jkube/Mainpage_lethalzs.html

Was this your first try with a welder? Did you teach yourself? What type did you use? I need to buy a welder and learn myself.

Yes and Yes. It is a Lincoln SP175 Plus. It has been a blast learning how to do it after asking a lot of questions.

Dont buy it from VB, buy it from Tabco Body Parts, they are VB and MSA's supplier. Its cheaper and is free shipping.

Do they carry the rear quarter? If so... But for now I plan on using Alfa Parts if Allen will ever call me back. I've been looking at his stuff for a while. The only set back is that his quarters don't come up to the main body line.

Jeff, I actually test fitted the door(which is amazing) before welding and the fit was OK. It sat low at the back by about 1/8 in. other then that it was good.

Thanks for the support and info.

I take it this is the quarter you are referring to:

16751.jpg

When I bought the car the owner included both of these panels, but as you can see I cut out way more then what they cover and still have to remove back to the tail end. So if anyone wants these two panels of mine.... I bought the drivers side full quarter panel on ebay, now just to track down a passenger side.