HybridZ

245/45r16s on 10" wheels Track Use

Really wouldn't recommend that. I used to run 245s on an 8.5" rim and they were pretty stretched. The tyre monkeys had a nightmare just getting them on.

You're either going to need wider rubber or narrower rims. I'd go with narrower rims personally as that will keep rim and rubber weight down, low-pro tyres don't half weigh a bit!

Cheers,

Rob

Just about every manufacturer posts recommended rim widths for their tires. You will be VERY hard pressed to find any that note 245s on 10" are acceptable. The first time that the sidewall is pushed in cornering, you'll likely blow the bead. Besides, it will totally look like a lowrider.....but, that's a sidenote. I think that it is a VERY big gamble that could have huge consequences.

Either get some inexpensive wheels to fit the tires on for temporary use or vice versa (inexpensive tires to fit on the 10" rims). The fact that it is intended for track use makes it even more critical to have proper fitment. 245mm tires are just shy of 10mm NARROWER than your rim! The tire should NEVER be narrower than the rim.....

A friend of mine and myself have run them on 9.5" rims for over 5 years, Hoosiers, Toyos, and Kumhos. No stability loss at all. Wider rims are not nearly as bad as too narrow. Then the slip angles get huge. From the Hoosier website:

"For our radial tires a good rule of thumb is to take the tread width dimension (+-) 1/2 inch. This will put you in the optimum range for the tire. The tire will mount on a wheel outside of this range, however performance and wear may be negatively affected.

If you find that your vehicle, or the rules, will not allow a wide enough wheel for the tire you think you would like, consider using a narrower tire. In most cases a properly sized wheel/tire combination will outperform a wider tire on a wheel that is too narrow.

If you are looking at our DOT bias racing tires the tolerance is a bit broader. For our DOT bias line we publish a "measured rim" or "design rim" dimension. This dimension simply indicates the width of the wheel the tire was mounted on when the other listed dimensions are recorded.

Bias ply tires are more tolerant of a range of wheel sizes. Typically, the listed rim dimension is a good starting point. The wider tires can range (+-) an inch without noticeable change in performance. A narrow (less than 6" wide) tire will tolerate (+-) 1/2 inch.

In the Road Racing section of our product line the racing slicks are typically designed for specific applications where the wheel width is controlled. The tire is designed to perform at its best on the wheel listed in the "design rim" or "recommended rim" column. Once again, there is a tolerance for this dimension. The tire will mount on a different sized rim but, may exhibit unusual wear or stability outside of the recommended rim.